D800: Mind freaking blowing details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe another mind freaking blowing example would be this:

http://www.bezergheanu.com/Other/Test-Nikon-D800/i-BN6QTnD/0/O/LAN1776.jpg

Watch it in full size

Those with EXIF viewer installed on your web browser, you may look at the details and settings of it.

Freaking scary! Can almost get those kind of details as if shot with a macro......... even the few strands of her eyebrow not properly combed also can see!!!!:embrass:

Think many would be disappointed when they try to shoot the D800 with their prosumer lenses, and are expecting the same type of results.

IMHO, the new D800 sensor will outresolve most of the prosumer lenses. You'll need the trinity to bring the best out in the camera.

I think this is also what forumers said when the firsts 12mp Nikon ff camera came out, but probably more true for the D800.

Yeah 12mp can see sweat coming out from pores ,

36mp can see particles in sweat ....

With dedicated macro lens , this will be one hack of a body

for super macro (if not the best)

i don't understand the obsession with the reflection of the photographer in the eyes. I have done that many times taking pictures of my dog with my 12mp entry level dslr too.. just need good light.

But I do agree the D800 resolution looks great. Probably more useful for landscapes though... not sure anybody wants pixel peepers poring over their portraits taken at such resolutions! :bsmilie:

This is nothing new. Fashion photos taken with medium formats always have a bit "Too much detail" on the model's face, hence the intense post production. It's awesome that we have the same capabilities in a more affordable product, though.

Also, a mediocre lens would ALWAYS perform better on a higher resolution sensor than on a lower resolution one. The detail advantage one gets would be diminished compared to using a top end lens, but never would it produce LESS detail on a high resolution sensor.

Think many would be disappointed when they try to shoot the D800 with their prosumer lenses, and are expecting the same type of results.

IMHO, the new D800 sensor will outresolve most of the prosumer lenses. You'll need the trinity to bring the best out in the camera.

The pixel density of the D800 sensor is similar to D7000. If the lens can resolve on D7000 why not on the D800? In big prints and 100% view might there might be a difference, but for practical use it should not be a problem.

Last edited:
There is one camera cheaper and win D800 in term of MP.

That is....Nokia's 808, 41MP. It will for sure blow your head off :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

That is....Nokia's 808, 41MP. It will for sure blow your head off :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

I am sure 41MP of noise will cause me big headaches.

Hmm..Since we are at it.. maybe i could share something..hopefully its relevant.
sonyalpharumors | Blog | Is more Megapixel better? D800 Sony sensor test...and a secret weapon for Sony.
Check it out.

Good. Will wait for Sony's new FF... hopefully, the frame rate will be better because of SLT. But then again, SLT only let's 70% of the light to pass... so may be back to square one.

Nice shots but I don't see the same level of details.

You obviously have not clicked all. Some are obviously shot at F/8 as well and they have been oversharpened but the detail is also there.

But I guess, it's a conscious choice as to whether you want to see things or not.

Like someone has pointed out, the lighting presented in the sample posted does help. Detail is not always about whether the thing is there, but how it is lit. Contrast does play a part in the perception of level of detail. :)

You obviously have not clicked all. Some are obviously shot at F/8 as well and they have been oversharpened but the detail is also there.

But I guess, it's a conscious choice as to whether you want to see things or not.

Like someone has pointed out, the lighting presented in the sample posted does help. Detail is not always about whether the thing is there, but how it is lit. Contrast does play a part in the perception of level of detail. :)

The photos are overly processed...view at 100%, they appeared overly oversharpened. so they are not fair to compare really.

The photos are overly processed...view at 100%, they appeared overly oversharpened. so they are not fair to compare really.

I agree. I did look at all the shots, and my original conclusion remains: the D800 one is sharper, and has more details.

sure it will score 100 pts at DXOmark lol.

You can easily sharpen to compare.

Sharpening at 100% does not add more detail than what is already there, fyi. If that were the case I could sharpen any blur photo till kingdom come to produce magical results.

Suggest you take the time to try, if not it is just "oh I think the details are there" versus "I think there are not", which essentially when examined critically, is a very inane debate. I can state confidently that I took the time to try and came to the conclusion that there isn't a laudable amount of difference in detail (read: not as fantastic as the reaction presented here would lead you to believe) between 5D Mark II and the D800 - have you? Or are you just postulating based on feel (or possible personal bias, since there doesn't seem to be an objective yardstick being used in your conclusion)? :)

Last edited:

Sharpening at 100% does not add more detail than what is already there, fyi. If that were the case I could sharpen any blur photo till kingdom come to produce magical results.

Suggest you take the time to try, if not it is just "oh I think the details are there" versus "I think there are not", which essentially when examined critically, is a very inane debate. I can state confidently that I took the time to try and came to the conclusion that there isn't a laudable amount of difference in detail (read: not as fantastic as the reaction presented here would lead you to believe) between 5D Mark II and the D800 - have you? Or are you just postulating based on feel (or possible personal bias, since there doesn't seem to be an objective yardstick being used in your conclusion)? :)

how about sharing your finding and research? i guess you have access to both cameras to do the test.

i'm not interested in comparing 5DMK2 and D800 here, since this is a nikon forum, most people will say good things about D800.

i'm more interested in what the D800 can give me when i upgraded. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.