D800 @ a super cheap price. Reliable?

Who are you to judge me for being naive? For a question I am asking? I already said I am not comfortable with the arrangement. Be it a discussion topic or a message to warn other of a scam possibility. I am just asking for opinion.

oh cmon why do you need to be so mean in your comment? I am just asking a question. is not as if I am buying. I am seeking for opinion on how you all look at this. I wouldn't mind if it is COD. If it is bank transfer, I wouldn't be so stupid to transfer such an amount not even looking at the good which I am purchasing.

Please. If you do not have any constructive opinion. You do not need to comment.

Please. If you even have the need to post such question for obvious answer. YES YOU ARE SO DAMN NAIVE.

Hi all,

Recently, i have came across some ads in gumtree stating D800 selling @ a super cheap price.

Nikon D800 36.3 MP Digital SLR Camera - Boxed NEW - Singapore TV, camera, audio, music - Gumtree Singapore

I have contacted the supplier. However, they would want me to transfer the money to their bank account before they can ship the item over. They won't accept COD.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable with the arrangement. I am wondering did anyone has any experience before? And how would you react to this kind of deal?

oh cmon why do you need to be so mean in your comment? I am just asking a question. is not as if I am buying. I am seeking for opinion on how you all look at this. I wouldn't mind if it is COD. If it is bank transfer, I wouldn't be so stupid to transfer such an amount not even looking at the good which I am purchasing.

Please. If you do not have any constructive opinion. You do not need to comment.

Who are you to judge me for being naive? For a question I am asking? I already said I am not comfortable with the arrangement. Be it a discussion topic or a message to warn other of a scam possibility. I am just asking for opinion.
If you understand this is a scam ads now, you can help preventing other people fall into such traps by reporting this ads.

Once you hand over you money first, the other party has the option to:
• not send anything; or
• send you something much below the standard of what was originally promised.

Once you gave them money first remotely, they are subject to extreme temptation to cheat you. It is the human condition.
Some can rise above that temptation and behave honourably. Some cannot.

About this case that TS raised:

Common sense is in order.

You said:

I have contacted the supplier. However, they would want me to transfer the money to their bank account before they can ship the item over. They won't accept COD.
If they have to ship it over, that means the item being sold is not located in Singapore.

It may also mean that the supplier posting the advertisement is not located in Singapore.

If you had read carefully, you would have noticed that the supplier has clearly violated a principal rule of Gumtree.

GumtreeRulesforposting.jpg

If the used item is so cheap and if it is in reasonably good condition, it would be sold very quickly. The advertisement in GumTree was in April 2013. That was 3 months ago. You mean at this price, it remained unsold until end-July 2013? How can it be?

Why has the supplier left the advertisement there without a "sold" notice?
To draw in more scam victims to transfer money to his bank account first.

Gumtree clearly warns that it has no consumer protection scheme and reminds you to meet with seller to avoid fraud.

Gumtreedoesnotofferbuyerprotection.jpg

Gumtreewarning-avoidfraudbymeeting.jpg

Gumtree is provided by Marktplaats B.V, Wibautstraat 224, 1097 DN Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Last edited: