D80: Problem focussing in low light

Status
Not open for further replies.

spindoctor

Oct 19, 2004
I was trying out my D80 with 18-200 VR the other night in my room with only my table lamp on. I set it to night time portrait and tried to focus on my lamp. The camera was unable to focus and the lens kept going back and forth. In the end, I only managed to get a shot after I switched to manual focus. Anyone else have the same problem? :dunno:

Variable aperture lens, especially that of a superzoom like the 18-200. Nikkor or other brands, will have this problem - Low Light Hunting.

Live with it, change ur lens, change ur focusing method in super low light or change ur camera.

I was trying out my D80 with 18-200 VR the other night in my room with only my table lamp on. I set it to night time portrait and tried to focus on my lamp. The camera was unable to focus and the lens kept going back and forth. In the end, I only managed to get a shot after I switched to manual focus. Anyone else have the same problem? :dunno:

did you try with shutter speed down to 1/6 (S priority), my VR can handle it if the light is not too dim.

did you try with shutter speed down to 1/6 (S priority), my VR can handle it if the light is not too dim.

Can elaborate? VR helps in focusing?

Perhaps thats one reason why I am not going to buy this 18-200 and instead a toki 12-24, nikon 50 1.8D and nikon 70-200 2.8 VR.

it is the lens, not the D80 body that has a problem with focussing in low light...:sweat:

18-200 is not a good lens to use for dark/dim enivronment. One way you can help is to focus on subjects that are visible with lines or objects surface thats are visible. AF don't work well in one flat color or completely black area. you need some visible lines to pre focus and recompose.

Perhaps thats one reason why I am not going to buy this 18-200 and instead a toki 12-24, nikon 50 1.8D and nikon 70-200 2.8 VR.
its a travel/fun lens lar...how to compete with specially designed zooms & primes...

18-200 is not a good lens to use for dark/dim enivronment. One way you can help is to focus on subjects that are visible with lines or objects surface thats are visible. AF don't work well in one flat color or completely black area. you need some visible lines to pre focus and recompose.
A general guideline.. If you cannot use your eyes to manually focus, don't expect the AF to work. ;) If you use visual cues such as some contrast, then it's good to point the AF-area there also. There is a likelyhood that the camera will be able to use it to AF.

If the AF Assist on the camera body is not on, try turning it on. And if you own a Speedlight, try using its AF Assist too. Both helps with focusing in very dim light.

Variable aperture lens, especially that of a superzoom like the 18-200. Nikkor or other brands, will have this problem - Low Light Hunting.

Live with it, change ur lens, change ur focusing method in super low light or change ur camera.
Not true. Variable aperture lens and fixed aperture lens will have the same problem - Low Light Hunting.

That's the different between fast lens and slow lens, not Variable aperture lens and fixed aperture lens.

Fast lens have lesser problem in Low Light Hunting compare to Slow lens.

Regards,
Arto.

I don't have low light hunting problems with 18-200 VR. The only problem I have with 18-200 VR is the sharpness, not as good as my d50. Maybe due to the higher megapixels not as forgiving.

fast lens as in better maximum aperture or SWM?

Lens with bigger aperture also will tend to have back focus.

There are no perfect lens anyway. Like the clubsnappers said, live with it or change gear.

Show us your picture, it could be also the lack of contrast in your subject, just like you try to focus on a blank white wall, you will set your lens hunting. :)

I don't have low light hunting problems with 18-200 VR. The only problem I have with 18-200 VR is the sharpness, not as good as my d50. Maybe due to the higher megapixels not as forgiving.

can show us the pics taken with D50 and D80.....;)

try shooting the same subj w a 50/1.8. most of the time its e lens that limits the focusing, especially AFS where motor is in the lens

can show us the pics taken with D50 and D80.....;)

alamak the ma... i sold off my d50 already.. how to show pics :sweat: sorry... zzz

but i can tell you what i tested.. (trashed the file already). I used 18-200vr at 85mm shot at f8 1/125, with sb800 and studio strobe light... then tested with a 85mm 1.8 at f8 same settings everything iso 200...

the 85mm is definitely sharper..

I also tried the same settings on a tokina 28-70 2.8 at 70mm same settings (except focal length) and it is better than the vr.

so now my vr is in dry cabinet unless i go walk walk and shoot shoot leisurely, then I will use.

subject is a boring macro tube extension of my bronica.. HAHAHAHAHA of course will trash

Status
Not open for further replies.