D700 viewfinder shutter blade jam.

Survivor47

Feb 20, 2011
Please help, any one having issue on viewfinder shutter jam. I'm unable to switch open the blade.

Please share.

Survivor47 said:
Please help, any one having issue on viewfinder shutter jam. I'm unable to switch open the blade.

Please share.

Nothing u can do if its stuck .. Try remove batt and let in drain for a while ..

Is TS referring to the flap at the viewfinder window specifically only D700 and above nikon DSLR has it? That's a mechanical part isn't it? I feel it's best to bring it down to NSC to deal with the problem.

I have tried blowing and moving the blade lightly. It still don't help. There's screw on top, but don't dare to open it to check. Think should bring in for service. Tot of ppl here might have the same issue, just share the issue here. Those ppl who face the same issue, please share. I'll update my services once done.
Thanks to those replied... Cheers

do you mean the viewfinder cover (to prevent light leaking)?

if you don't feel confident to open it up and DIY repair, best to get someone more experienced in this (NSC, etc) to do it.

Yes, you can access the mechanism by removing the screw on top.
Not really complicated but the parts are a bit small to work on.

D700.jpg

Last edited:
fatigue said:

Wow... Do you work in nikon? Your information really help. But I find is too dangerous for me to do the hands on. But I'm still under warranty. Think it would be safe to just send it in for repair. Tot there will be an easy way out. But too much bits and pieces. But of cause, If I'm OOW, I'll just fix it myself...

Still I gonna miss the holiday shoot. And more over NCS close on week end. Wad a disappointment. Lol. Thanks dude..

D700.jpg

Wow...impressive! Of all the pieces above, I'm most worried about the spring and e-ring and the separated sponge pieces... the rest I think is pretty manageable... (I handle ultra-fine photo-etched material in another hobby of mine)

David is correct. You can't remove the (circular) eyepiece if you don't close the viewfinder shutter. Did the TS tried to unscrew the eye-piece without closing the shutter initially?

David is correct. You can't remove the (circular) eyepiece if you don't close the viewfinder shutter. Did the TS tried to unscrew the eye-piece without closing the shutter initially?

Maybe the eyepiece was turned accidentally after closing the shutter. The solution is to turn the eyepiece to it's fixed position then the shutter can be opened.

Hi there,

Just got it repaired. The service is excellence. Less than half an hour job. They did not open the camera at all. As what they have done is just apply some chemical and move the blade around, issue solve. Moreover, they clean my lens and censor for free. The cleaning is superb...

Just check with them, the lens cleaning cost around $160. Scare the **** out of me.. Lol.. Anyway it worth the price after all. FYI, different lens different price.

Thumbs up.

glad your issue settled.
As for the indicative costs... well, if it's NSC you're talking about, the rental at Fuji Xerox Towers ain't cheap ;)
Some lenses are more complicated as well.