D70 with MF fixed apperture lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my D70 last Sat from SITEX. It's my first DSLR so please pardon me for my stupid questions.

Can I use MF lense with D70? I know the manual say it's not compatible so just trying my luck..

Anyone able to make the metering works with mirror lens with fix apperture?
I can mount it on, set to MF, but can only shoot in M mode without metering. The apperture shows F-.-- but I can adjust the shutter speed though.

It will be good if I can set my apperture to F8 or have someway to let the metering system to provide some indication if the exposure is over or under.

Thanks
Emkay

this is also a question I want to be answered as I got quite a no. of MF prime lens, quality units but need to know before I take the D70 plunge.

so far what I gathered is that metering will not work. don't know if anyone out there have tried it can share the experience.

Yep usable, but there's no metering & focusing :)

You can mount it on the D70, but you wouldn't get any metering. What you can do however, is guesstimate the exposure and then have a look at the histogram and finetune your exposure from there.

Same here.

I use quite a bit of MF lens too. Quite challenging as you have to exercise good judgement when shooting.

No metering at all.

Going digital is a good way of learning exposure. Afterall, doesn't cost a thing to keep experimenting....except your battery life.

:)

Be careful when using manual lenses. Be sure to check the manual on compatibility issues.

Not all mirror lenses (reflex lenses) are useable with the D70. Check the compatibility list on page 188.

The only manual lenses that can be safely used with the D70 are the F Mount AI lenses. These are usually identifiable by the pair of rounded, metal rabbit ears with holes attached to the apature ring. These lenses all have a ridge at their rear which couples with the manual cameras and help indicate to the camera the max apature of the lens. The ridge allows these lenses to be mounted onto a D70 cleanly. Non-AI and other incompatible lenses do not have this ridge and WILL DAMAGE the D70, breaking the apature control tab. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.