D70 and SB 600 Intermintent Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoyip

Mar 29, 2004
www.activemediastudio.com
Just notice this intermintent problem last night using D70 + SB 600:

This happen when Batt on D70 just switch from full 4 Bars to 3 Bars
When SB600 connected, it intermintently goes into standby and refuse to power up even if u press shutter. When the SB600 does power up, it shows wrong iso setting (iso=100 [D70 min iso is 200]) and BL and CLS icon dissappears. :(

Occasionally it will revert back to correct setting (iso = 200 with BL and CLS icon present) but most of the time its the wrong setting.

Change D70 Batt to fully Charge One
Seems to be OK so far, that is it shows the correct setting

Is this normal, I mean for SB600 to not work properly when batt on D70 is 25% full? Any one encounter this intermintent problem?

according to ken rockwell, the D70 battery meter is as useless as the fuji S2's... once the first bar is gone, there's probably only around 10shots left in the battery.

hope it helps a bit..

the battery indicator for the D70 is totally crap.. as what Clown said..

This I have experienced personally.. also you will find that your metering and WB would also be inconsistent.. and that images tended to underexpose..

a known issue..

As a D70 user cannot tell you how true it is.
Confirm, when the batt indicator show even 1 bar down get ready to change your batt.

Have you all brought it to Nikon service centre to check instead? Those with problem, are you all using original Nikon batteries? How many shots did you manage to get before the battery dies on you?

I suggest if it's a technical issue which it's an internal circuit problem, bring it back immediately! Have anyone tried with SB-800 have this issue too?

Please let us know after you all bring it to Nikon for repair. Still considering whether to buy the D70 after hearing this battery issue......

Anybody else having this problem?

Those complaining, where did you all guys buy D70 from?

Godzilla Invades said:
Have you all brought it to Nikon service centre to check instead? Those with problem, are you all using original Nikon batteries? How many shots did you manage to get before the battery dies on you?

I suggest if it's a technical issue which it's an internal circuit problem, bring it back immediately! Have anyone tried with SB-800 have this issue too?

Please let us know after you all bring it to Nikon for repair. Still considering whether to buy the D70 after hearing this battery issue......

Anybody else having this problem?

Those complaining, where did you all guys buy D70 from?

There is nothing wrong with the D70 nor the battery, so there's no need to bring it in to repair :nono:

The Li-Ion battery is designed to hold as consistant a charge as possible, right up until it is depleted, unlike some other batteries where as the battery is close to emptying you see the screen start to grow faint etc. because the output is slowly decreasing. Hence, there is almost no way for the battery meter to predict with accuracy the exact battery status at any one time (i.e. half, 3/4 etc). So, as a general guide, when you start seeing your D70's battery meter start dropping a bar, its time to change the battery ;)

Gymrat76 said:
There is nothing wrong with the D70 nor the battery, so there's no need to bring it in to repair :nono:

The Li-Ion battery is designed to hold as consistant a charge as possible, right up until it is depleted, unlike some other batteries where as the battery is close to emptying you see the screen start to grow faint etc. because the output is slowly decreasing. Hence, there is almost no way for the battery meter to predict with accuracy the exact battery status at any one time (i.e. half, 3/4 etc). So, as a general guide, when you start seeing your D70's battery meter start dropping a bar, its time to change the battery ;)

I see but how about WB and exposure inconsistency which gadrian point out ?

ive had it b4. whether f60 or f90x or f100, once the lcd batt display goes into "half life" for more than a few days... then u wont know when it will suddenly die on you. quite surprised that this issue actually finds itself again on d70. lol ;-)

Godzilla Invades said:
I see but how about WB and exposure inconsistency which gadrian point out ?

The inconsistencies are caused not due to a malfunction.. but due to the battery not being able to keep the charge up. The camera tries to suck every last charge it can from the batt.

When you put in a new batt.. it works perfectly.. There is perfectly nothing wrong with the camera.. there is no need to send it in for servicing..

and yes I have tried with the SB800.. and this is a phenomenon that not only exist on the D70.. but also on the D100..

Not necessary to joump to the conclusion that there is soemthing wrong with the camera.. It is an electronic device.. when the charge cannot be kept up.. it will start to work a little quirky.. nothing wrong there..

So dont have to panic..

gadrian said:
The inconsistencies are caused not due to a malfunction.. but due to the battery not being able to keep the charge up. The camera tries to suck every last charge it can from the batt.

When you put in a new batt.. it works perfectly.. There is perfectly nothing wrong with the camera.. there is no need to send it in for servicing..

and yes I have tried with the SB800.. and this is a phenomenon that not only exist on the D70.. but also on the D100..

Not necessary to joump to the conclusion that there is soemthing wrong with the camera.. It is an electronic device.. when the charge cannot be kept up.. it will start to work a little quirky.. nothing wrong there..

So dont have to panic..

Ok...ok....yes sir! Loud and Clear Sir! Thank you sir! Goodday sir! :D

Good advice... :thumbsup:
I learnt that thru the hard way...
thought still got 3/4 left... still can tahan somemore... :cry:
So... like what Gymrat76 has pointed out, when your D70's battery meter has dropped a bar, it might be a good idea to change the battery liao.

Gymrat76 said:

Thats' why you guys should stick to original Nikon battery whereas possible. The original Nikon battery can last 800-1200 shots (depends on usuage and lens mounted) whereas a 3rd party, via many testimonies, can only last abt 600+ shots at most. Not to mention at most times, it is unpreditable on how many shots it can fire, and I do heard some says it can only fire abt 60+ shots for a fully charged 3rd party battery. This is crap.

Personally I carries 4 original EN-EL3 with me when shooting, and I've almost endless fun of firing without the need to check the battery meter... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

gadrian said:
the battery indicator for the D70 is totally crap.. as what Clown said..

This I have experienced personally.. also you will find that your metering and WB would also be inconsistent.. and that images tended to underexpose..

a known issue..

hmm.... is this a problem for other DSLRs like D2H, D1 series, S2 Pro, Olympus E1, Canon DSLRs, etc?

I've not experienced such a issue with the Canon 300D.... when the battery indicator drops a bar, I could still take hundreds of pics (or easily more than 100) and there isn't inconsistency with WB and metering.

mpenza said:
hmm.... is this a problem for other DSLRs like D2H, D1 series, S2 Pro, Olympus E1, Canon DSLRs, etc?

I've not experienced such a issue with the Canon 300D.... when the battery indicator drops a bar, I could still take hundreds of pics (or easily more than 100) and there isn't inconsistency with WB and metering.

Any Pro DSLR user rich enough to share your views? :blah: :devil:

This is a problem only inherent to the D70.. a software fix could fix that.. but not something that I would really bother about..

gadrian said:
This is a problem only inherent to the D70.. a software fix could fix that.. but not something that I would really bother about..

Is this software fix that you had mentioned out liao?

I've no issue with D2H and D1X battery. D2H do show a more accurate indicator. It might due to it's new lithium-ion battery.

Dear All,

Thanks for the reply, Just confirmed yesterday that its not batt problem. I was using a fully charge one and the same thing happen yesterday! (BTW I'm using original nikon batt x 2)

Now as long as I mount the SB 800 on it will show incorrect setting :(

Going down to nikon service tommorrow, anyone know if I need to call first before going? No one answers their service line, left message but still no reply :confused:

Will keep this tread updated, Thanks!

geoyip said:
Dear All,

Thanks for the reply, Just confirmed yesterday that its not batt problem. I was using a fully charge one and the same thing happen yesterday! (BTW I'm using original nikon batt x 2)

Now as long as I mount the SB 800 on it will show incorrect setting :(

Going down to nikon service tommorrow, anyone know if I need to call first before going? No one answers their service line, left message but still no reply :confused:

Will keep this tread updated, Thanks!

Btw.. just hopeing that your batts in your sb800 is also fully charged? coz I have found inconsistencies when the batts are low.. i see this in also the sb80dx and sb28/28dx..

And nope.. you dont need to call.. just go down there.. lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.