D5000 Telephoto Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANANDKMOORTHY

Jul 2, 2009
Hi Everyone. Am new to this site, new to dSLR photography as well. Anyone got suggestions on a reasonably-priced telephoto lens for my new d5000? used lens also okay, as long as compatible with the d5000. where can one buy these things in singapore (and am reasonably new in this country too!)..

Hi Everyone. Am new to this site, new to dSLR photography as well. Anyone got suggestions on a reasonably-priced telephoto lens for my new d5000? used lens also okay, as long as compatible with the d5000. where can one buy these things in singapore (and am reasonably new in this country too!)..

The 18-200.
Its a fantastic lens to get started in photography.

Regards

Look in the "priceguides" section.

Best quality/price ratio should go to Nikkor 55-200 VR. This would give slight better image quality than 18-200. Much cheaper too and make more sense if u already own the lens kit.
One step above is 70-300 VR, not much dif in iq though

Read the reviews as well to get an idea about performance and other details.
www.photozone.de
www.dpreview.com
[many more.. just google]
Since you are new to the topic I strongly recommend some reading about Nikon gear. Key points should be: Nikon mount, AF motor (in body vs. in lens). Otherwise you will be an easy prey for every sales uncle in this city. You can minimize the risk by going only to reputable shops (see Consumers Corner for more details) but still it's your job to make sure you know what you want to you. It also helps to read a bit here about the usual sales tactics (e.g. cheap 'promotion' but only in connection with expensive but useless 'add-ons' to get the money back).

18-105 VR. If you need longer range can use a TC. helps keep everything neat and light if this is just at the hobby level.

18-105 VR. If you need longer range can use a TC. helps keep everything neat and light if this is just at the hobby level.

TC?
How much does a TC cost?

Regards

TCs aren't very cheap, even at third party prices. Even so, I doubt you'd be able to use one on the 18-105, seeing that it's already a f/3.5-5.6 lens.

TC = Teleconverter

It comes in 1.4x, 2x, and 3x (3x only Kenko brand has it)

It makes ur lens reach longer but you lose light
e.g With a 200mm f/2.8:
1.4 = 280mm f/4
2x = 400mm f/5.6
3x = 600 f/8

It degrades image quality obviously, but still more decent image quality (IQ) than compact/bridge zooms.
The autofocus will be slower as well if it can even focus. There's a neat trick though, you can use LiveView's AF. It will still be slower than normal, but you get higher chance of focusing.

It comes in 1.4x, 2x, and 3x (3x only Kenko brand has it)

Wao how to use

Status
Not open for further replies.