D50 or KM5D

Which do u think is a better buy?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eow

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2004
10,060
6
38
#2
jerry2308 said:
Can we have a poll of this 2 cameras?
my vote went to Km5d more value for money but seriously if As is not yr main priority
nikon D50 is very good too
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#3
KM5D for the excellent kit lens and anti-shake. its using the same Sony sensor that NIkon is using so that is ceteris paribus
 

jerry2308

New Member
Aug 30, 2005
536
0
0
Kembangan
#4
wow..seems like KM5D is a more popular choice..Btw,is it hard to find 2nd hand lens with KM mount in the market?
 

May 3, 2003
912
0
0
Bedok
marvinlee.multiply.com
#6
jerry2308 said:
wow..seems like KM5D is a more popular choice..Btw,is it hard to find 2nd hand lens with KM mount in the market?
quite difficult but not impossible. :)

Many CSers letting go their KM mount lenses, but these would be what you would (I'm assuming here) already have. Some you can look into would be the thread by zenten. Do a search.

all else fails, order from www.keh.com

:)
 

Nov 20, 2005
244
0
0
#7
anybody saw the nikon d50 advertisemt on Straits Times today? :p

wonder if it's reali a "special price"...
 

Jul 31, 2005
768
0
0
Bt Batok
#8
jerry2308 said:
wow..seems like KM5D is a more popular choice..Btw,is it hard to find 2nd hand lens with KM mount in the market?
nikon and cannon are so popular because of their extensive range of lenses(pro and consumer)
with KM ur best bet would be sigma lenses. check out this site: www.sigma4less.com;)
 

nmk

New Member
Nov 8, 2005
347
0
0
flickr.com
#9
Has anyone done a side by side test in real shooting conditions. Does anyone have any image for comparison. I am planning to buy a DSLR soon and just managed to convince myself that the D50 is more value than a D70s.

Now this poll has put me back where I started. The advantage for me with nikon is that a lot of my friends shoot nikon and hence I would easily be able to borrow lenses.
 

paxluv

New Member
Nov 26, 2005
258
0
0
California, USA
#10
I have a D50... EXCELLENT camera. Good for beginners and veterans to photography. The Nikon D50 is seriously the best thing that's ever happened to me.
 

tokrot

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
1,345
0
0
#11
For those who doubt about KM5D and its kit lens maybe you guys should take a look at these pics all taken with Kits lens with mininal processing done with Sharpen only according to the threadstarters.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15950744

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15331365

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=14981041

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=14813766



and now the one with the cheapo 75-300 lens which came with the package at an offer of $99

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15958312

Now who says Minolta lens are lousy? :nono: I dun think so.. Optically, they are of higher optical quality and cheaper than the competitors. Nevertheless, the image quality of the above pictures produced look like taken from competitors' expensive Premium lenses. I myself was also surprised to know it was taken with cheapo kit and a $99 75-300 lens. The pictures said it all. :cool:
 

Dec 1, 2004
1,064
0
0
Little Red Dot
#12
roti_prata said:
nikon and cannon are so popular because of their extensive range of lenses(pro and consumer)
with KM ur best bet would be sigma lenses. check out this site: www.sigma4less.com;)
One can only use 1 lens with a camera at any one time and very few are needed to to cover situations one normally encounters.
Therefore, it does not make sense for any manufacturer to produce too many lenses with overlapping specs. All this does is to dilute the demand for various lenses and increase production cost.
Canon and Nikon have to practically duplicate their range for those who need image stabilisation with versions such as IS or VR. Otoh, Minolta have AS built in their camera and all lenses automatically become image stabilised without the need for in-the-lens stabilisers.
However, that said, one must recognise that each manufacturer have their strengths and weaknesses and take into consideration one's unique needs when decided on the system to invest in.
 

Feb 20, 2004
497
0
0
33
#13
Seriously, when you buy any minolta lens or 3rd party lens. You enjoy the anti-shake free shooting.

When you get Nikon D50, although you invest a little cheaper than KM5D, but when you get the anti-shake lens you need to pay alot.
 

ken111111

New Member
May 24, 2004
465
0
0
Jurong
#14
I bought my 5D on friday, and I'm happy with it
The only complaint is that the handgrip is TOO small for my hand.
 

fatjp

Senior Member
Apr 19, 2005
725
0
16
37
Khatib
fatjp.livejournal.com
#15
Get what you can afford. What bad or good is up to you to over-come and take advantage.

Me using D50, find it having what i need but lack of vertical grip cos i take portrait.

+1 to D50, but seriously get a 350D or a D2X will bring you a longer way ;p

Personal view :cool:
 

setiardi

New Member
Aug 28, 2005
38
0
0
#17
I'll vote for KM5D. Even though Canon & Nikon have a very extensive lens range, only a few can afford it. Let alone those IS or VR range.

Anti-shake for a camera system is very useful feature if not important. Picture quality, I won't go there bcoz thats's very subjective.

Again, for those who make money out of photography or grow money, for the bulk of us, IMHO, can't afford such lens.

I wonder why Canon & Nikon don't have such feature? IMHO, should be business orientated.
My only concern is Konica Minolta has been bought over by Sony. It's future is still uncertain at the moment. Again, I believe, Sony should decided from the business aspect of things.

My 5 cents. :confused:
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#19
tokrot said:
For those who doubt about KM5D and its kit lens maybe you guys should take a look at these pics all taken with Kits lens with mininal processing done with Sharpen only according to the threadstarters.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15950744

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15331365

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=14981041

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=14813766



and now the one with the cheapo 75-300 lens which came with the package at an offer of $99

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15958312

Now who says Minolta lens are lousy? :nono: I dun think so.. Optically, they are of higher optical quality and cheaper than the competitors. Nevertheless, the image quality of the above pictures produced look like taken from competitors' expensive Premium lenses. I myself was also surprised to know it was taken with cheapo kit and a $99 75-300 lens. The pictures said it all. :cool:
Take the same pic using a pro grade glass, zoom in 100% and you'll start seeing differences, judging images at 100% view resized doesn't show much. If you can handle the camera, any camera can produce the images just as well. Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#20
alwayschampion said:
Seriously, when you buy any minolta lens or 3rd party lens. You enjoy the anti-shake free shooting.

When you get Nikon D50, although you invest a little cheaper than KM5D, but when you get the anti-shake lens you need to pay alot.
Not true, you have invested in a variety wide range of glasses available for the camera.

You have a 10.5 f/2.8 FishEye, 12-24 f/4DX and 17-55 f/2.8DX that compliments the DX format of the camera, how many HAS what Nikon has provided for the wide end?

Also not forgetting is the easy availablility of Nikkor glasses for wide from 10.5 to telezooms up to 1700mm.

Finally, not least, the renowned CLS - ability to control up to 64 SB-600/800s simulteanously as an entire flash system.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom