d40/d40x as 2nd camera for jobs possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Ang

Hi all,

for background, i ve been shooting jobs on and off, but had to take a break for studies. i'm thinking of starting with the odd job or 2 next year. my d200 shutter count is over 110k so gonna get a second body. thing is, i want to step up to FF when the d700 replacement comes out and so this second body will be temporary and don't want to spend too much.

i will shoot mostly school events with some dinners/portraits. but most of the demanding stuff will be covered by the d200 (if it doesn't die first :()

i plan to get either a d40/d40x. so my 80-200 will be on the d200, and 17-35 on second body. my 80-200 is af-s so will work with the d40 is my d200 dies. afew questions though:

how does the 17-35 go with the d40(x)? AF speed ok for normal event shooting?
how does flash metering (sb800) compare with the DX00 series?
how does the d40 hold up for high iso? i only need similar to d200/d80 iso 800
is the d40x worth it over the d40?
lastly, any limitations you've experienced?

thanks very much for your time and input. ;:D

regards,
benjamin

I have tried and used all the cameras you have listed. I have not used the 17-35 so I can't comment much on that.

For what it is worth, here's my 2 cents.

AF speed ok for normal event shooting?
D40/40X is going to be noticeably slower than what you are used to. However, since you mentioned that this is not sports / moving targets (fashion show), you might get away with it, esp if you are using flash.

how does flash metering (sb800) compare with the DX00 series?
imho, I think that the flash metering is better on the D40 than the D40x.

how does the d40 hold up for high iso? i only need similar to d200/d80 iso 800
D40x uses a similar 10.2 mp CCD sensor as your current D200. After owning all 3 cameras, I must conclude that the D40's high iso is better than the other 2. You might not believe this, but D40's iso1600 is approx equivalent to your D200's iso 800, due to the more widely spaced apart pixels that allow each pixel to gather more light.

is the d40x worth it over the d40?
NO, unless you need to crop from more megapixels. In fact you also lose the 1/500 flash sync that can be very useful. even the D200 does not have this...

lastly, any limitations you've experienced?
D40 only does 2.5 fps if you burst, where you might be used to 5. This may or may not be a problem for you. Also D40 is 6 megapixels, leaving you less room to crop from should you need it. D40 is also smaller size, meaning poorer balance with longer/heavier lenses and may get uncomfortable for long shoots. Your D200 also has the built in motor for screw driven lenses (if you change) and a much better viewfinder due to the pentaprism. This would be the largest differnce to me - you can frame and compose your shots better.

Luckily all 3 cameras use the same 2.5" LCD that you are already used to. so no diff there.

lastly, my reccomendations :
if you have only $350 to spare - just get the D40, if you have double (say $700+), get a second hand D90 (much better choice for back up body) , or the new D3100. Both of which will last you a long time.... even when you do pick up your D800.....;)

I am using a D40 and love it. I wish it gives me more flexibility in cropping, more AF points and a wider dynamic range.

Hi, if you're really on a budget, i would suggest a d50/70. It gives you the flexibility to use non af-s lenses. If you could spare a little more i would suggest you to go for d3k/5k series.

I have tried and used all the cameras you have listed. I have not used the 17-35 so I can't comment much on that.

For what it is worth, here's my 2 cents.

Thanks very much, yr 2c was very worth it! reviews give all the specs but dun really talk about real life use. i m not considering the d90/300 cos i m thinking of sending my d200 for refurb when the shutter dies. it serves me really well and think it ll go well with the d700/800.

I am using a D40 and love it. I wish it gives me more flexibility in cropping, more AF points and a wider dynamic range.

thanks for the input. i hardly crop, so its not too much of an issue for me. but dynamic range would be nice..

Hi, if you're really on a budget, i would suggest a d50/70. It gives you the flexibility to use non af-s lenses. If you could spare a little more i would suggest you to go for d3k/5k series.

hi, im avoiding the d70/50 cos the colour output is not to my taste. not alot cheaper than the d40 anw. my 2 main event lenses are af-s and everything else is AIS so no issue there. thanks tho!

I don't know whether it matters to you but the D40 has only 3 focus points.

Can I vote for the D80 instead? since you still retain the top LCD and some of the function buttons. Should be going quite cheaply on CS these days

D90 second hand is worth 700+?

Anyway, D40 is great. I used it all the time to shoot all my weddings, events and even sports.

Regards

I own a D90 and recently bought a D40 for fun :bsmilie:

The result from the D40 is surprising.
At iso 1600 is still relatively usable, even better than the D3000:eek:
The camera is small, light and quiet which makes it very handy to use.

Downside is there's no top screen but I suppose if you're familarise with the camera you can change the settings fast.
It only comes with 3 AF points, pretty much sufficent for most shots.

Only have the rear comand dail. Trick is switch between "A" and "S" for different shooting style and bind ISO to the "Fn" key :). Love it.

It only has 6mp but if you're not going to print larger than A3, it's pretty sufficient

I don't know whether it matters to you but the D40 has only 3 focus points.

o.. yea. for some reason i thought it was 5 points.. i think it should be fine tho cos usually use focus recompose method.

Can I vote for the D80 instead? since you still retain the top LCD and some of the function buttons. Should be going quite cheaply on CS these days

im considering this option too esp since it has the same sensor as d200. maybe if can find a super price i ll get it instead.

D90 second hand is worth 700+?

Anyway, D40 is great. I used it all the time to shoot all my weddings, events and even sports.

Regards

still see d90 at 900-1k leh.. thnx for the input. if you ve shot those then i think it shouldnt be too much of a problem. care to share yr lens combo with it?

D40 has 1/500 flash sync speed. Hell yeah.

I own a D90 and recently bought a D40 for fun :bsmilie:

Only have the rear comand dail. Trick is switch between "A" and "S" for different shooting style and bind ISO to the "Fn" key :). Love it.

It only has 6mp but if you're not going to print larger than A3, it's pretty sufficient

o! only one dial :confused: forgot about that.. i usually shoot A, but i set the aperture on the lens itself so this might take some getting used to. thanks for bringing that up... is there a direct button for flash compensation?

You can still hold the flash button change the flash compensation using the comd dail:)

D40 has 1/500 flash sync speed. Hell yeah.

As I remember, only D40 (not D40x), D50, D70, and D70s could achieve 1/500 flash sync speed. Is it correct ?

Note:we are not talking about FP mode.

As I remember, only D40 (not D40x), D50, D70, and D70s could achieve 1/500 flash sync speed. Is it correct ?

Note:we are not talking about FP mode.

yup. correct. it the 6mp CCD that has an electronic shutter.

anyway, thanks to everyone who has contributed. its been very informative and i think i ll def go with the d40. great to know how you guys use this little camera. i will get it sometime in december and hope my d200 doesnt bite the bullet first. haha.

thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.