D300 AF Fine Tune for 17-55mm & 18-200mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediKnight

Jan 3, 2008
Punggol
Now that we are seeing more D300 users, wondering if anyone like to share their AF fine tune settings for lens such as DX 17-55mm and 18-200mm ?

Did some testing but did not see any obvious improvement with 0, +9, +20 on DX 17-55mm. Briefly, using largest aperture (2.8) with no sharpening. camera aimed 45degree to a test chart.

Comments ?

I use the exact same setup as what you have. Both the lenses have around +10 correction in my D300. There are changes, but very very small. You really need to zoom up in your computer to see. Alternatively, you can use the liveview function and zoom into the portion you want to focus and check. Saves you some time, but all I can say is the changes are small, very small.

wanted to do the settings also.

Spoke to a Technician in NSC, he basically laughed at it and say that the settings are minimal. Its in microns!

On own experience is that you probably get a 1-2 mm difference. This may help sometimes...

So it seems like different D300 body and even same type of len may need different AF fine tune value. Unfortunately I do not see much difference despite trying different value.

i try not to dig too deep into these technical stuffs .. it only takes my time off taking photo and more headache .. hehe

if this effect is minimal and only observable with such a good lens as the 17-55 f2.8, is it even important for a less sharp lens like my 18-70 f/3.5-5.6?

oh and anyway... isnt it that the sharpest aperture isnt wide open? usually the sharpness really shows at f/5 to f/8... of course, the new N coated lens seem to not really lose any sharpness wide open anyway... but still. =)

just my 2 cents, interesting that the D300 can do this. i might be tempted to do it myself..

Used to laugh at a friend who bought the D300 when it was first launch that his photos were all OOF !

However, when I got my D300 last week and had my first play with it yesterday, I realize that there is indeed a focus issue on D300.

Without making any changes to the Fine-Tunning settings, I have SERIOUS front focus issue on 50mm 1.8. Slight Backfocus issue on 17-55 .

This is despite even shooting at at F2.8/F5.6(50mm) and 17-55 (f4/5.6). It is obvious enough to see it on the LCD screen when I am using the 50mm lens. It simply gotten so bad that I gave up shooting at 1.8 altogether.

Worst of all, my Tamron 90mm 2.8 cannot focus at all on the D300 !!

I have yet to try it on 18-200.

I have read through various thread on D300 and realized that the adjustment differs for each individual but what can be concluded is that there is at least +10 adjustemnt when using 17-55 lens.

Shouldn't the adjustement it be the same for all if there are consistent quality control from Nikon ?

Does anyone know if the filmware version affects the focusing issue ? Mine is loaded with v1.10.

I love the colour and WB control on D300 but the focusing is just a disappointment...:thumbsd:

...This is despite even shooting at at F2.8/F5.6(50mm) and 17-55 (f4/5.6). It is obvious enough to see it on the LCD screen when I am using the 50mm lens. It simply gotten so bad that I gave up shooting at 1.8 altogether.

If you have that much focusing problems with your D300, I suggest you bring it in for a check. Try your lenses with another body, and see if you encounter the same problems... :)

i thought i read somewhere in this forum that someone mentioned the fine tuning adjustment is only making very very samll changes to the focusing? if back or front focusing, the camera can adjust and tune until perfect ? ??

anyone can confirm ?
thanks

Used to laugh at a friend who bought the D300 when it was first launch that his photos were all OOF !

However, when I got my D300 last week and had my first play with it yesterday, I realize that there is indeed a focus issue on D300.

Without making any changes to the Fine-Tunning settings, I have SERIOUS front focus issue on 50mm 1.8. Slight Backfocus issue on 17-55 .

This is despite even shooting at at F2.8/F5.6(50mm) and 17-55 (f4/5.6). It is obvious enough to see it on the LCD screen when I am using the 50mm lens. It simply gotten so bad that I gave up shooting at 1.8 altogether.

I have yet to try it on 18-200.

I have read through various thread on D300 and realized that the adjustment differs for each individual but what can be concluded is that there is at least +10 adjustemnt when using 17-55 lens.

Shouldn't the adjustement it be the same for all if there are consistent quality control from Nikon ?

Does anyone know if the filmware version affects the focusing issue ? Mine is loaded with v1.10.

I love the colour and WB control on D300 but the focusing is just a disappointment...:thumbsd:

i'm abit of a pixel-peeper, and i seem to realise that my pictures arent sharp when i zoom all the way in.

although i think that this has more to do with the sensor outresolving my 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 AFS than with a backfocus issue..

Sigh. Am surpise that the sharpness and fine-tune varies even for same camera body and len. These camera and lens are not hand-crafted - meaning should not have such variation in the first place. Could this due to fault in the manufacturing process or design (I wonder) ?

Sigh. Am surpise that the sharpness and fine-tune varies even for same camera body and len. These camera and lens are not hand-crafted - meaning should not have such variation in the first place. Could this due to fault in the manufacturing process or design (I wonder) ?

They are not hand crafted but they are hand calibrated. Tolerances are normal especially dealing with precision adjustments on the assembly line.

They are not hand crafted but they are hand calibrated. Tolerances are normal especially dealing with precision adjustments on the assembly line.

Did not know about the "hand-calibration" and guess that is part of the QA. :bigeyes:

Just wondering if it is necessary to test the len before buying and do camparison of a few identical lens at the shop for sharpness, front/back focus issues before you actually buy especially if one cost more than S$2K. So far I have only checked for phy defects at the shop.

Thanks.

Did not know about the "hand-calibration" and guess that is part of the QA. :bigeyes:

Just wondering if it is necessary to test the len before buying and do camparison of a few identical lens at the shop for sharpness, front/back focus issues before you actually buy especially if one cost more than S$2K. So far I have only checked for phy defects at the shop.

Thanks.

If it's Nikkor, then you should not have a problem. If 3rd party lenses, luck plays a big part.

What aperture do you all use to calibrate your 17-55mm? My lens at f4 is noticably sharper than at f2.8, partly due to the DOF.

Will it be after fine tuning 1 len the other len go out of focus

What aperture do you all use to calibrate your 17-55mm? My lens at f4 is noticably sharper than at f2.8, partly due to the DOF.

I was using f2.8 to calibrate as was told to use the widest aperture and large size but did not try other aperture settings. Roughly, try the fine-tune value at +5 +10 +20. Hardly notice any differences as I still do not get pin sharp image (assume this is digtal image and no sharpening applied).

JediKnight, you can try using a 30cm ruler placed flat on the table while you camera is pointing at 45 degrees at the ruler. Focus at the 15cm mark. If you cannot, then "make the marking bigger by using some coloured tape or something. Then you see if the lines nearer and further are equally out of focus.

Will try another round of testing and then post the results for comments to see if the len is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.