D2x or D300 as Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danntbt

Jul 28, 2004
Chestnut
dannytoh.multiply.com
I am looking for a backup body for an assignment shooting a sports events overseas. I have a D700, and would like to have the crop sensor advantage for reach. I am considering a second hand D2X or D300 due to limited budget. I understand except for the dual slots, which is nice, and the video which I do not need, D300s is basicallly similar to D300.

Any advice from sports shooters on this?

Last edited:
I think maybe the D300s?

the pricing maybe higher, but it's lighter, and it's features are similar to the D700 if you're used to those features and a bigger LCD

the D2x has a pro nikon body build, and obviously has it's advangtage...

which do you feel best in your hand?

Actually I don't mind heavier stuff, used to find 1D2 better in terms of handling compared with non-1 series on canon side, am thinking that it may not too crucial for ISO performance as I can still rely on D700 for that. Is D300s using same batteries as D700/300?

D2x as a backup, this tank will never give up on you on any weather n terrain. I shoot under -10 degree whole day and come back with half the battery power left.:thumbsup:

The D300/D300S is D700 perfect "DX" partner.

Most importantly, not only do there share the same batteries but also the all-important MB-D10 (multi-power battery pack).

Physically, it's almost similar is size and build. Most importantly, the "menu of custom functions" (D700/D300 ~ not sure about D300S) is very similar so the learning curve is super intuitive.

It's really a deadly combo.

JMHO :)

D300 is what i'd get. Cheap in the 2nd hand market, less depreciation with the same grip/batteries as the D700.
Aswell as the newer technology including the same focusing system as you D700. and most probably more useable at higher ISO. In built flash is useful aswell.

In terms of focussing is D2X any better than D300 or vice versa?

i prefer D2x's focusing as it resemble the D200's focusing.

been using D200 for so long and it's very natural.

the D300's 51-pt AF may be useful but doesn't suit me.

i guess it's individual choice

Actually I don't mind heavier stuff, used to find 1D2 better in terms of handling compared with non-1 series on canon side, am thinking that it may not too crucial for ISO performance as I can still rely on D700 for that. Is D300s using same batteries as D700/300?

Yes. Same vertical grip as well.

D2x as a backup, this tank will never give up on you on any weather n terrain. I shoot under -10 degree whole day and come back with half the battery power left.:thumbsup:

I ditched D2X for D300. Only thing worth keeping is the EN-EL4 and the charger to be used in MB-D10.

Technology and integration-wise D300 sounds like the better opt....also lighter....hmmm

High ISO wise, D300 has about a stop advantage over D2X. D300 has about everything D2X has and more. Only thing it doesn't have is an integrated vertical grip, if that's important to you... ;p

I am looking for a backup body for an assignment shooting a sports events overseas. I have a D700, and would like to have the crop sensor advantage for reach. I am considering a second hand D2X or D300 due to limited budget. I understand except for the dual slots, which is nice, and the video which I do not need, D300s is basicallly similar to D300.

Any advice from sports shooters on this?

It will really depend on a couple of external factors, firstly what glass are you going to be swinging off the body? If you're going to be using a 400/2.8 or 600/4 then I'd go with the D2x or for that matter a 70-210 or 500/4 as the heavier body allows the lens to point better. The integrated vertical grip is pretty much essential for sports as a lot of the time you'll be shooting in portrait format if covering sports like football, track and field or similar. Landscape mostly for swimming, motorsports and boat racing etc. Mixed for air racing.

I should also point out that there's still a large population of pro's using the D2x and D2xs as primary bodies both in studio and sports areas. Another major factor in favour of the D2x series is shutter life, Nikon professional DSLR's have superior shutters and will take $hitloads of abuse.

In favour of the D300 - smaller, lighter somewhat more vivid colours (over saturated TV like colours).

Ultimately it's up to you, go with the body you like the feel of most.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian, I used to carry canon 1D2 with long glasses, having switch to D700, despite the add-on grip,its just not the same, granted the image are better in many respect especially when the lighting are less than condusive. The handling and feel is just not the same. I am a heavy user, though mostly non-professionally, the prices of the 2 are comparable on the 2nd hand mkt. BTW is the D2xs worth the extra hundreds compared to the D2x?

if you need iso performance, go for d300..

i use it three of it before and IMO D300 ISO 800 above better than D2X/D2Xs
if you shoot a lot at ISO 800 and above, get the D300, if not D2X is nicer to handle, have 2X crop mode, and if you upgrade the firmware is quite similar compare to D2Xs

Try and see if you can rent a D700 as a backup. Just the standard body w/o the battery pack will do as a back up. Taking a FX body and a DX body IMHO is not a good idea. BTW, the 1.5 crop on the DX body doesn't really 'increase' the focal length... it's just like 'forced cropping' so that the image looks like it was taken with a longer lens.

Fred

Thanks Ian, I used to carry canon 1D2 with long glasses, having switch to D700, despite the add-on grip,its just not the same, granted the image are better in many respect especially when the lighting are less than condusive. The handling and feel is just not the same. I am a heavy user, though mostly non-professionally, the prices of the 2 are comparable on the 2nd hand mkt. BTW is the D2xs worth the extra hundreds compared to the D2x?

The D2Xs is worth the extra if you can get one for a couple of hundred more, otherwise beg borrow or scrounge a D2x from a CS member and try it out for yourself. The truth is that though the high ISO is better on the D700 it's nothing that can't be equalled with some careful CS4 + filter work. It really will depend on the size of the glass you're going to use, comfort and what type of work you will be shooting. My editors and clients have no problems with the D2x output at 1600 ISO for most sports jobs, though I seldom need to shoot that high unless it's under very poor artificial light levels and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.