D200 Wb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho68

Jun 20, 2006
Guys,
Need some info & guide line form the expert on White Balance setting for D200 if shooting with flash.

Recently I'm shooting wedding event & portrait using D200. Found that the WB not upto my expectation.

If i set ....

Auto : will be a bit yellowish

K : higher setting ie 4800 a bit yellowish if lower a bit bluewish..

I dont have much problem on WB setting for outdoor shoot without flash.....only indoor with flash..

I think D70 WB is much more easier to set & get the good WB...appreciate the expert here guide me on this issue as i'm still new fro D200. Adios...:)

Guys,
Need some info & guide line form the expert on White Balance setting for D200.

Recently I'm shooting wedding event & portrait using D200. Found that the WB not upto my expectation.

If i set ....

Auto : will be a bit yellowish

K : higher setting ie 4800 a bit yellowish if lower a bit bluewish..

I think D70 WB is much more easier to set & get the good WB...appreciate the expert here guide me on this issue as i'm still new fro D200. Adios...:)

I think WB setting is easiest with a EXPODISC. I was sceptical at first when I was introduced the EXPODISC at Cathay Photo. But after they demo it, I was convinced and bought one! It takes the guess work out of WB.

I think WB setting is easiest with a EXPODISC. I was sceptical at first when I was introduced the EXPODISC at Cathay Photo. But after they demo it, I was convinced and bought one! It takes the guess work out of WB.

what is that? never heard before? how much?

i see, but if the surrounding area affected by yellow color..ie curtain, bridal costume..will this expodisc influent to that? or it will gor for natural

a part of this solution, is there any other solution?

i see, but if the surrounding area affected by yellow color..ie curtain, bridal costume..will this expodisc influent to that? or it will gor for natural

Shoot RAW and adjust WB later in post processing.

Regards,
Arto.

Shoot RAW and adjust WB later in post processing.

Regards,
Arto.

good suggestion but i cant affort to perform that post processing if i'm shooting up to 300 shots ....

good suggestion but i cant affort to perform that post processing if i'm shooting up to 300 shots ....

actually you can batch it. does not take very long

Which program do you use to work on? Photoshop has a RAW plugin and it works just fine for me... If you trust it, go on Auto and it corrects it more or less. You just need to monitor and check for some pics which may be slightly out.

Which program do you use to work on? Photoshop has a RAW plugin and it works just fine for me... If you trust it, go on Auto and it corrects it more or less. You just need to monitor and check for some pics which may be slightly out.

I'm using nikon capture.

Im using D200 with Sb-800 & i like the WB it gives me.I set my WB on auto & shoot in raw.I was doing a shoot with another photographer who uses another brand,both of us compared our shots & he finds that my WB is much better than his.

I'm using nikon capture.
Nikon capture can also do batch... you must be closing your eyes all the while. :sweat:
its right at the top center of the main menu... :sweat:

What I like most about the Expodisc is that it balances the WB taking into account the lighting/reflections in the room. In this case, there will still be a slight yellow, assuming room light is yellow, but it is what it is when viewing the scene in actual.

Based on the example above, if you want no yellow reflection at all (or probably very minimal), use a grey card or white paper to pre-set WB. It will result in a more ruthless removal of "color casts", even if it was supposed to be there ... it's like daylight ...

It's very quick to preset WB, and IMHO, better than setting the WB later through post-processing batch.

is this http://www.expodisc.com/products/pr...poDisc_Digital_White_Balance_Filter_-_Neutral u talkin abt?
so with this filter no need buy UV filter? :D
not a bad idea if true

is this http://www.expodisc.com/products/pr...poDisc_Digital_White_Balance_Filter_-_Neutral u talkin abt?
so with this filter no need buy UV filter? :D
not a bad idea if true
er, its not supposed to be on your lens all the time, reason being you can't take pictures with it on, only a custom white balance reading...so no, it does not replace your UV or clear filter...

What I like most about the Expodisc is that it balances the WB taking into account the lighting/reflections in the room. In this case, there will still be a slight yellow, assuming room light is yellow, but it is what it is when viewing the scene in actual.

Based on the example above, if you want no yellow reflection at all (or probably very minimal), use a grey card or white paper to pre-set WB. It will result in a more ruthless removal of "color casts", even if it was supposed to be there ... it's like daylight ...
if there are light sources of different temperatures, no amount of custom white balance is gonna remove a colour cast... you can minimise it by allowing one of the sources to be dominant over the other... or in the case of flash, add a coloured gel to match the flash's light temperature to the ambient light temperature...

True, and IMHO, it all depends on the intensities, which is why I qualified it as minimal or all. And different custom balance tools do have different effects. Same with camera, custom WB balance is different in my Canon from my Nikon.

In the case of flash, the flash used can also be a factor. Like in comparing a single Metz 54-MZ4i and Nikon SB800, without any gels, using TTL, and the difference is apparent.

At any rate, to the TS, just try utilizing your custom WB feature, use a normal white or grey paper at free or minimal cost. Some compact digital cameras are highly rated just because they have a custom white balance, which certainly is a great feature to have and use. Try it, and find out for yourself - after all it is a digital camera, practice/click a thousand times and no cost really (except to increase your camera shutter count :)).

I would suggest shooting in RAW as others have suggested, then you can post-process WB later, in case you forget to custom set WB, or just got lazy ...

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

if there are light sources of different temperatures, no amount of custom white balance is gonna remove a colour cast... you can minimise it by allowing one of the sources to be dominant over the other... or in the case of flash, add a coloured gel to match the flash's light temperature to the ambient light temperature...

Thanks clubgrit, the articles is refresher course for me.

thanks everyone i'm now start to shoot in RAW & i like it......

also lookign forward to buy expodisc....but how to use it? can we save those setting under pre-set WB?

Status
Not open for further replies.