D200 or D2h(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackas_hero

Apr 22, 2006
I shoot just about everything but my intrests in sports is growing.

Currently, I use a D70s with 70-200VR for sports. I find the D70s focusing less than desirable. My method now is to use f8-11 whenever possible to make up for the inaccurate focusing. But this means using ISO400 to keep the shutter speed up, noise becomes quite noticable.

A new D200 and a second hand D2h is around the same price right?

D2h has CAM2000 and 8.5fps. 4.1mp dosnt leave much room for cropping.

D200 has 10mp, sufficient to make decent crops that will still print big. I don't know how it's CAM1100 will compare with CAM2000. 5fps is not bad but 8.5fps will help capture the crucial moments better.

Anything else I should consider? How about personal experiences?

Thanks.

Q: Are you using only the centre AF spot?

If not, it's time to try it. Experiment with the AF-L button, I believe you have one.

The easier way is to get a D2X. However, if budget's a problem, 2nd hand D2X/D2H/D2HS are on sale in buy/sell.

The cheaper way is to get a D200.

You've already phrased it yourself that each camera (to you) has it's own + and - points. So it's how you even it out with other factors like costs, etc.

That aside, speedwise, D2HS/D2X definitely wins handsdown as compared to D200. Print size wise, D2X allows me to go to 20x30" without much PP, D2HS takes slightly more but still doable.

8.5fps is just ability to capture the shots consecutively, however, just abusing it will not get you your shot, the ability to pre-empt the shots and it's timing of happening matters a lot also. However, I will not disagree it's a good thing to have it.

Some examplary use of D2HS @ 4mp*
sbg-003.jpg

*Slight cropping is in place

sbg-005.jpg

sehsuan,
af-l is only useful in some instances like penalty kicks. Usually when players run everywhere, I can only hope af-c manages to catch up.

espn,
Nice pictures there. The reason why I desire 8.5fps so much is that often on my D70s, one shot shows the player running towards the ball, the next shows his legs skyhigh and the ball is out of frame. My 70-200vr will not cover the whole field, cropping out the sky and ground on a D2h will likely leave me with 2mp or less.

Another factor came to me, noise. Indoor games like badminton and table tennis demanded that I use ISO800-1600. This plus f2.8 DOV at 200mm and sluggish AF make most my shots hopeless. I did try to anticipate by pre-focusing but out of 2GB I got around than 20 keepers.

Am I expecting a miricle with the D2h/D200?

jackas_hero said:
espn,
Nice pictures there. The reason why I desire 8.5fps so much is that often on my D70s, one shot shows the player running towards the ball, the next shows his legs skyhigh and the ball is out of frame. My 70-200vr will not cover the whole field, cropping out the sky and ground on a D2h will likely leave me with 2mp or less.

Another factor came to me, noise. Indoor games like badminton and table tennis demanded that I use ISO800-1600. This plus f2.8 DOV at 200mm and sluggish AF make most my shots hopeless. I did try to anticipate by pre-focusing but out of 2GB I got around than 20 keepers.

Am I expecting a miricle with the D2h/D200?
Well if you know what you need, then you'll get what you need. But having more FPS tends to make you abuse it, still have to control to watch the buffer on your camera that it doesn't gets full before you burst as you'd be doing it the whole time when you're on a 8fps cam.

I dunno what's your hit rate and how many images you keep, but I'd say 20 shots as keepers is not bad already ;p AF sluggish can be caused by many factors not only limiting to camera body.

i) Contrast of subject - if the ground area is black, the user is wearing white, it'd be easier to focus.

ii) Lighting condition - brighter lighting condition will aid in AF

iii) Glass used - if VR is on, it takes longer to stablise the AF module as it needs to compensate the handshake

iv) Finally, the body used, a D2HS/D2X and/or D200 would be an improvement over your current D70.

It will be an upgrade in a few certain areas of concern for your requirements, but certain other areas might not as it's factors which you cannot control at all ie: like lighting, contrast of subject/background etc.

I guess I'll hold on for a while. Hopfully when D3h comes out, all prices will be pushed down. Any inside tips/intelligent guesses when?

i had the exact same dilemma as well... but only occasionally shooting motorsport and the rest are scenery.:)

Personally I think D70 + 70-200VR is enough for shooting most sports.

Took this on my first S-league shoot after I just bought the D70 and VR (newbie days).
Noise I guess still manageable if the exposure is correct.
For this case, shooting at ISO1600, I did some noise reduction. :embrass:
Having (8fps) of course will be good, but with the correct timing, your first shot will most likely gotten the picture you need.
2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.