D200 - Compressed/Uncompressed Raw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Anyone knows if there's any perceptible quality advantage to using uncompressed raw? If not, then would compressed raw be the norm? Is there any reason NOT to use compressed raw?

Nikon's compressed raw is lossy, it actually compresses the values in the highlights of an image. You will probably only notice this loss if you're trying to recover highlight details during post processing, and only if you look hard.

Double posting, *deleted*

According to my experience shooting raw with D2X, the uncompressed version is the way to go. The compressed version is ok if exposure is spot-on but any underexposure which needs pulling up in Capture Editor is going to show problems in the shadow area. I think the same might apply to D200.

D2X @ uncompressed??? You own a 8GB card ah? :bsmilie:

Anyway, this topic has been debated before, unless you make very large prints, the compression is not at all obvious.

One significant reason why anybody would shoot compressed RAW is the file size, you get up to 40% more space with the same CF card.

D70 and D50 default is compressed NEF.

the compressed raw is lossless in D70/50 (according to what i know, dunno about the pro bodies). lossless compression is akin winzip/winrar where file size is compress but there is not loss of data. (there's a tonne to read about compression algos)

anyway, compression saves storage space, that everyone knows, but there's no free lunch in the world, you will need extra overheads in processing power to compress the RAW file in the cam. Your cam dun run at speeds of your laptop or CPU, so each compression will take a longer time in the cam than on your comp.

compressing 1 single file will take a fraction of sec. no prob. imagine you are shooting high speed continuous drive, each fraction of second taken will mean it stays longer in the cam. this will slow down the speed the file gets sent to the CF card. when it slows down, your frame rate slows down cos the buffer gets filled. tadah. the reason not to use compressed raw is to save on CPU processing power and use brute storage space to flush it all down. :D free up the CPU power to process AF/AWB/etc..

espn said:
D2X @ uncompressed??? You own a 8GB card ah? :bsmilie:

Anyway, this topic has been debated before, unless you make very large prints, the compression is not at all obvious.

One significant reason why anybody would shoot compressed RAW is the file size, you get up to 40% more space with the same CF card.

No lah, I don't own 8GB card but I am using multiple 1GB cards which is ok to work with. Most of the time I shoot tethered to a laptop so it is no problems.

You are right about the large prints part. Maybe many CSer won't come to that extend but my work really requires it.

I heard also that it is almost impossible to find 4GB and 8GB Lexar cards in S'pore, is that right? Haven't been shopping around much.

Andy Ho said:
No lah, I don't own 8GB card but I am using multiple 1GB cards which is ok to work with. Most of the time I shoot tethered to a laptop so it is no problems.

You are right about the large prints part. Maybe many CSer won't come to that extend but my work really requires it.

I heard also that it is almost impossible to find 4GB and 8GB Lexar cards in S'pore, is that right? Haven't been shopping around much.
Ah, yes, if you shoot to your laptop, then it's pretty ok and manageable, else the 26MB NEFs will kill your 1GB cards easily.

I think TK Foto is bringing in a batch of 4GBs and CP does have 1 piece of 8GB left also. :D

espn said:
Ah, yes, if you shoot to your laptop, then it's pretty ok and manageable, else the 26MB NEFs will kill your 1GB cards easily.

I think TK Foto is bringing in a batch of 4GBs and CP does have 1 piece of 8GB left also. :D
the 4GB is lexar cards ah :think: how muchi ah :think:

Beachboy said:
the 4GB is lexar cards ah :think: how muchi ah :think:
The last time I heard it from another photographer, you may be able to buy 5pcs of 1GB card and still got spare change. The 8GB may cost about a grand plus/minus.

espn said:

Thanks bro for the info. Where is TK Foto? I have only shopped at AP and CP so have no idea. :thumbsup:

Since we are on this I notice that the number of pic available does not change when you switch between compress and uncompress on the D200. So far I have been using compress and does not notice much difference.

Dennis said:
Since we are on this I notice that the number of pic available does not change when you switch between compress and uncompress on the D200. So far I have been using compress and does not notice much difference.
yes,the file counter does not change. but at least can take 100+ c.raw :)

espn said:

What about D70s and is there a way to change it to uncompressed NEF?

yanyewkay said:
the compressed raw is lossless in D70/50 (according to what i know, dunno about the pro bodies). lossless compression is akin winzip/winrar where file size is compress but there is not loss of data. (there's a tonne to read about compression algos)

D70 compressed NEF is indeed lossy according to this : http://www.majid.info/mylos/weblog/2004/05/02-1.html

espn said:
Errr....,

AFAIK, D70, D70s, D50 only can store compressed NEF. Don't have uncompressed NEF.

Regards,
Arto.

By the way, anyone knows if the D200 uses that encrypted white balance thingy?

Status
Not open for further replies.