Cute Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be able to title your pictures skillfully and appropriately is also something that needs to be learnt.
What relevance is that to taking/making good photographs?

A title is an extension of the story you wish to tell with your picture. If your picture portrays a sense of lack of identity, or a sense of being lost, then by all means title it untitled. Think of your title as a theme for your photo as well.

To be able to title your pictures skillfully and appropriately is also something that needs to be learnt.

Captions and titles may not take/make good photographs but I agree with calebk that they help with the "storytelling".

You might have read my whole post in context. For your benefit, let me reiterate that a title is an extension of the story you tell with your photo. The photo, the story and the title are all coherent.

so if i take a picture of a cat

and call it

"prettiest dog on earth", and splash it in a beautiful panel around the photo so that you simply cannot miss it.. i suppose you will not bat an eyelid? :dunno:

TS, you're very lucky to have loads of tips splashed out in here hor... ;)

i am a newbie so what i say may not be correct. But when i am going to take a shot, i always question myself what message i want to send across to those that are viewing it, and i try to compose the shot as best as i could to what i want to convey. I find that photography is not just about the technical perfectness of a picture, but rather what you want to evoke in place of words. As such, in this case i find there is a slight co-relation between title and photo.

i am a newbie so what i say may not be correct. But when i am going to take a shot, i always question myself what message i want to send across to those that are viewing it, and i try to compose the shot as best as i could to what i want to convey. I find that photography is not just about the technical perfectness of a picture, but rather what you want to evoke in place of words. As such, in this case i find there is a slight co-relation between title and photo.

Each has their own definition of course...
If we put too much thoughts before taking the first shot - too much analytical and theoretical thinking - for me, it might just bring out the fun in photog. Again, for myself, the message I would wanna get thru will be after I get the shot, viewed it, analysed the product on screen before deciding to share / uploading the image. It will be the product that I'll be proud of, perhaps something that had captured me first, for me to find it fit enough to share with the world. I'd rather spend the time selecting the better shots of the hundreds I took, than spending the hundred minutes BEFORE I took the first shot.

Again, its subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.