Cut Throat Cam Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I had a bad experience to share.
Though it's not a cam shop.

I was shopping for some PC parts to build a DIY system for my friend

Checked HWZ and pricelist and confirmed Bliss to the "cheapest" store.

We approached the shop assistant and informed him, We will be buying ALL the essentials parts from his store and hope he give us a good price.

After inquiring, he said the prices of the Mainboard and Chip on the pricelist are only true IF you get a casing from him as well.
(Always be weary of prices with an '*' as it comes with conditions)

(As most shops only insist you bundle CHIP + M/B, I was surprised)

OK, So I asked him how much is the casing. (We intend to get a cheap one to cut cost)
He quoted $120!!! He said only have this type.

Annoyed, I tactfully told him, we will look elsewhere first.

HIS reply, started to get NASTY, He said "Go elsewhere also, like that, every shop the same one, must buy together"

After hearing that, I swear I won't buy from him even if the prices are more expensive else where!!!
I refuse to pay for BAD service, even if it means a little more.

We got the same brand and model of the products at Fuwell cheaper, and they did not insist we get the casing from them.
And their casing was only $70.

The first shop not only lost ONE deal from us, but future deals, cos if my friends ever ask me to recommend them a shop to buy from, there shop will head the list of "shops to avoid".

I can't imagine that since times are Bad, shouldn't the shops treat customers better to improve business and have customers returning to them?

My opinions:

To get the best price for the product you are looking for, always do your homework first. By doing homework, I mean asking the shops around to get a general impression of the prices, and of course, coming to forums like ClubSnap or HWZ to check out the prices. You will never go wrong if you have done these 2 things.

My views of the following shops:

1. AP
You must approach the RIGHT salesperson to get the best price. For me, I always look for steven ( he's rather short, looks slightly older than the rest, and has a honest face ). Even then, he may not offer you the best price. Try to bargain a bit, and tell him your friend has bought the product at the "best price", most likely he will offer you a lower price. This is esp so if u r a frequent customer. I must also mention he's always polite and has good customer service. =) Avoid a thin and black-faced salesperson at all costs! ( Dunno his name tho )

2. CP
I always think that CP prices are always a bit higher than AP or MSColour. Try to get an equote from them first before going into the store. But generally, CP will not offer you "exaggerated" prices, they will offer you the market price. It is up to you to do some bargaining. It is a reputable store, so no probs abt its aftersales service.

3. MSColour
I haven't really bought much stuff from them before, but my general impression is it is also a reputable store and its prices are competitive too.

4. Song Bro and the rest of the shops in SLS/Peninsula Plaza/Chinatown

Be VERY VERY careful when you want to buy something from them.
Usually, they are out there to "chop" you, and more often than not, the customer service is really very very DISAPPOINTING.
For me, I will never buy anything from these stores after several bad experiences with them.

These are only my personal views and experiences.
Hope they help tho.
=)

let's LIST THE Name of shops in BOLD AND RED

Originally posted by akdwivedi
But John 3:16 has been a pleasure.. You have the luxury to test the eqpt, Sam shares all the details with you and you are not forced to buy.. You could just say, thanks sam I will take a while to decide.. Price wise I find them quite comeptetive as CP and AP.

I used to like the shop but i find their products and shop space limited. As a family run business, i think they are more cosy compared to the bigger shops. But I find they cater (to the extent of being "porr" or quick to gain favor) to the tourists and very regular customers.

I no longer patronized them bcos they gave me many inaccurate details about the lenses I had wanted to buy.

i got to agree, and that its price is not always the best,

but let's move on to the topic of CON SHOP

NOT JUST ON BAD SERVICE

singapore we dun focus on service here, i accept that

BUT THIS THREAD IS STARTED TO FOCUS ON CON SHOPS

so let's bring out the names, and details, and make sure the consumers get their revenge,

MOSTLY< it is dangerous to deal with second hand shops, in mu opinion,

What's there to pai say. Just walk in and ask for the thing you want. Tell him straight that you are actually comparing prices with a few shops. Will only buy with the cheapest quote.
Anyway I will pay $20 to $30 more for good service just in case I need to exchange things that is faulty.
For those rude service, just tell him that you don't feel like buying from him and FO. Maybe abit mean, but better than get myself angry for nothing.:devil:

i juz why isit so hard to get good customer service in singapore...after all we're considered as a shopping paradise rite.
in countries like japan and taiwan their sales pple are so frenly and polite!
in taiwan whenever u step into a say even a 7 eleven store they always greet u with 'huan ying guang ling'. now how of the shops here do that?

I almost always shop at MSColor for my stuff. Visit the AMK main branch, not the Yishun one, suspect that there's some unhappiness happening between these 2 :dunno:

I visit them because they're nearer to my place, offer competitive prices and just the basic service I need. Go in, tell them what you want, and they'll get it for you. I like to do my own market research :light:

I was just reading some reviews from photography review and realised that in the West, the shops actually allow you to bring the lens home to try it out before actually buying it. You can even try out more than 1 lens! Wow! I wish Singapore's service will improve sooner rather than later, if at all.

Of course, they can start by being more consistent and honest with their price quotes.

Originally posted by yeocolin
I was just reading some reviews from photography review and realised that in the West, the shops actually allow you to bring the lens home to try it out before actually buying it. You can even try out more than 1 lens! Wow! I wish Singapore's service will improve sooner rather than later, if at all.

Of course, they can start by being more consistent and honest with their price quotes.

i really wish that was possible here too, but knowing Singaporeans, we will abuse this system by buying an expensive lens for a weekend shoot, return it on Monday saying you don't like this or that, and expect a full refund. Also, if you are a serious buyer, would u be happy to know some bloke has probably used your supposedly 'new' $3000 lens before? There are pros and cons to the system being practiced in the west.

in taiwan whenever u step into a say even a 7 eleven store they always greet u with 'huan ying guang ling'. now how of the shops here do that? [/B]

got.

the little irritating machine at the sides of the door that either ding dongs or say welcome or laughs at you when ur foot passes by the infrared sensor, that lets the black-faced store owner know that another customer is coming in...face colour changes if it's ang moh. face stays the same if it's deng-nang...

HWZ not HMZ.

HWZ stands for Hard Ware Zone.

goto www.hardwarezone.com

The problem with a lot of the retail salesppl in S'pore is that (pardon my french) they are F##king Ah Bengs/Lians with F##ked Up attitudes. Plain and simple.

They don't have the mental capacity to think further than a few minutes ahead of time, let along figure out that good customer service shown now will reap more returns in the future.

Their creed is, 'How to I sucker this guy outta his money'. And they will try all means (all underhanded) to con a sale out of you. They rarely tell the truth about what they are selling and more often than not, omit to tell you important things about the product.

Until their general attitudes change, you can forget about getting good service from most places in Singapore. e.g. Cellphone stores, stores at SLS.... because they are run by Ah Bengs!

anyone got any experience of being CHOPPED BIG TIME BY SECOND HAND SHOPS?

or anyone got swindled by camerra shops by AP/CP/MS color/John3:16? whatever other 'so called' reputatable shops?

basically, i dun understand why do so many shops look so short term and pretend to give good service, becos, when we are con, we are con. so we never go back again once we see the prices we paied for the products as similar to Harvey norman, best, etc...

FOR ALL CONTRIBUTERS,

for the benefit of all, pls state your con shop, bad service shop clearly, or else it is like not writing at all,

and i guess we know the general case, so pls be specific, only then will it be more constructive at helping others, THANKS!!!!

I just have this weird feeling that all electronics, computer and camera shops along the Orchard Rd region (From Orchard MRT to Dobhy Ghaut MRT) are dangerous.

It's good that nowadays with the boom of internet, that there are such forums for computers/cameras/car lovers/..etc worldwide to discuss the technical issues and prices.

Back in the early 90's or 80's the only way to find out who's good and bad is to ask around, but then again it's not really accurate depending on who you ask.

Lucky Plaza, Newton Circus, Sim Lim Tower...etc are all famous for being cut-throats for their respective products.

I think there used to be a list of BLACK-LISTED shops for tourists who arrive in singapore, so they know which shops to avoid, (those that frequently kenna complained to CASE or STPB)

Not sure if there is still such a listing in Changi Airport, any one care to confirm?

Lucky Plaza is definitely one place for cut throat. The last time I went there for len enquiry, the salesman quote me a price 1.5x usual price. hen I say: wah so high! He asked: what's your price?
I replied with a retail price I saw before. Immediately the guy said: no problem and I can give you another $10 discount, guarantee cheapest in Singapore..

hahaahha... cornman always sell sweeter corns. ANyway, the sho is the one at the corner with big big bazooka canon & nikon lens displayed.

Well, actually, there's no need to name all the con shops, simply because there are too many of them everywhere!

In SLS, Peninsula Plaza, Lucky Plaza, Chinatown, Orchard Road....

I guess it is easier to recommend the good and reputable ones,
and forget about the rest.

I guess the popular stores are CP, AP, MSColour, perhaps John 3:16. I think only these stores offer a 7-day 1-1 exhange which is really important. For instance, if u find dead pixels in your digicam CCD, I'm pretty sure CP or AP will allow a 1-1 exhange within 7 days ( MUST not send out warranty card within these 7 days though ). For other stores like So** Br*,Digita* V, Ichid* ( in peninsula plaza)...you can forget about it. Once the camera is sold, monry enters their pockets, they won't care about you anymore.

I usually purchase big ticket items from CP cos I have no fear of them backing away from a warranty claim. On top of that, CP has been very consistent with their pricing. It may be a lil more ex when compared to AP and MS Colour, but the high level of customer service and assurance that you will not be cheated is worth that few extra dollars. Besides, you will never have a problem with paying with credit cards over at CP.

heh just came back from sim lim to confirm scouting...

my final verdict is, AP won't con u... they have a reputation to upkeep, but u really have to speak to the right person...one guy-one price quote. but price can be haggled still..so...it's really up to one's character...if u like bargaining or not...

the rest of the shops in sim lim are really just there to con ppl lor...

602z price at AP, 980.
at other places, 1050, 1020 and best... 2nd level shop, 1200...

circular polariser, for 58mm, at other shops, selling $80.
a bit unbelievable lor...

:what:

Status
Not open for further replies.