Curious about night shot quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said......

calebk hits the nail here.......

TS..... if it is building or scenery you are shooting.... try shooting in Tv mode.

1) Put camera onto Tripod and compost your photo.
2) Set the Time Value (Tv) to less then 1/15 of a sec..... you could try even less.
3) Use the 2 or 5 seconds timer to take the shot.
4) Review the photo and change the Tv higher or lower for difference effect.

But Tripod is a must for this......

This is just blatantly wrong. As I've mentioned, in this instance DOF sets the precedent, not the shutter speed. You better brush up your basics before you embarass yourself further. I don't see giving comment about not using a tripod as beating around the bush. You should know that if you really know what you are doing. I for one don't believe in sharing settings. Its useless if you don't have an idea how to derive to that setting and before we go on further, getting a sturdy tripod is of utmost importance. If not, nothing's going to help. Hope you are enlightened.

You said......
This is just blatantly wrong. As I've mentioned, in this instance DOF sets the precedent, not the shutter speed. You better brush up your basics before you embarass yourself further. I don't see giving comment about not using a tripod as beating around the bush. You should know that if you really know what you are doing. I for one don't believe in sharing settings. Its useless if you don't have an idea how to derive to that setting and before we go on further, getting a sturdy tripod is of utmost importance. If not, nothing's going to help. Hope you are enlightened.

Oh thxs great one.....

I didn't know there was ONLY one ways to take pics.... with a PnS camera some more. I'm sure sure your advise is good..... that I have taken photos the 'Wrong' way all this time.... and here i am.... thinking all this time that each of us have a 'personal' style/idea/method in taking photo..... didn't know that there is only the DOF way.......

Thxs for the 'Enlightenment'......

Oh thxs great one.....

I didn't know there was ONLY one ways to take pics.... with a PnS camera some more. I'm sure sure your advise is good..... that I have taken photos the 'Wrong' way all this time.... and here i am.... thinking all this time that each of us have a 'personal' style/idea/method in taking photo..... didn't know that there is only the DOF way.......

Oh please....... stop giving this crap about breaking the rules when you don't even know what they are to begin with. You can only break the rules, do something different when you understand why they were there in the first place. Rules are meant to be broken, only if you know them well.

and you are most welcomed.....

Oh thxs great one.....

maybe kit is putting it in what seems like an overly sarcastic manner to you - but if you read his postings he always has that tone. just like everybody has their style to take pics, in your own words, take into consideration that he isn't actually trying to mock or embarass you - he just likes stating things out.

anyways - i thought i'd *try* to explain why so many members have responded to your post as such - you have to see that they aren't without reason.

shutter speed priority or tv mode is mostly used when the shutter speed actually is very important (hence priority) - i.e. sports, you need a fast shutter speed; shooting children, youneed a fast shutter speed to freeze their motion. another example would be long exposures when you actually want to get the water milky due to introducing "ghosting" (overlapping of motion to provide a massive blur in the area of motion) into the picture.

when it comes to night shots, it is true that long exposures are required of scenes. this is however, more frequently because of the need to keep iso low, and the desire to keep reasonable depth of field by using a small aperture. THEN you get long exposures.

so you have gotten some sort of idea correct, but the execution is perhaps, fairly considered to be erroneous. hope you get my drift - this is not just about who's right, who's wrong, and whose style is better or whether style is personal. it's about whether one understands the technical concepts to achieve better photographs. cheers.

Do understand that I've never claim in anyway to be an expert..... which is why I'm always hanging around the Newbie section..... and could agree that my method is 'wrong'.

But do understand this.... as kit had said his/herself....

I don't see giving comment about not using a tripod as beating around the bush. You should know that if you really know what you are doing. I for one don't believe in sharing settings.

We newbies like to help each others until we could understand better in what we are doing. My method may not be by the book or even correct for you guys.... but it sure works for me when I started..... with ppl unwilling to 'Share' setting.... this is how we'll have to learn.

Cheers....

We newbies like to help each others until we could understand better in what we are doing. My method may not be by the book or even correct for you guys.... but it sure works for me when I started..... with ppl unwilling to 'Share' setting.... this is how we'll have to learn.

Cheers....

bro - now you are being unreasonable and really interpret wrongly what kit is saying

he is saying that you cannot just tell anybody else to set 1/15 seconds and shoot

it doesn't work that way, the LIGHT affects this setting, and therefore it would appear to be useless to tell a newbie, eh, for daytime shots must use 200iso f/4 1/800 seconds. no?

Do understand that I've never claim in anyway to be an expert..... which is why I'm always hanging around the Newbie section..... and could agree that my method is 'wrong'.

But do understand this.... as kit had said his/herself....

Cheers....

Would you prefer someone to fish for you everytime or have someone teaching you how to fish? I think the answer is obvious. I guess when someone runs out of ammunition, it always convenient to take everything out of context and choose to interpret facts in a way best suits him. I call that self-denial.

bro - now you are being unreasonable and really interpret wrongly what kit is saying

he is saying that you cannot just tell anybody else to set 1/15 seconds and shoot

it doesn't work that way, the LIGHT affects this setting, and therefore it would appear to be useless to tell a newbie, eh, for daytime shots must use 200iso f/4 1/800 seconds. no?

Correct.... I agree with you.

Which is why I suggest to TS to try this setting and work from there.... did I say this is the only setting that works ??

But 1st I must apologize to both you and Kit..... I'm sorry if I've offended both of you, I really do. I'm not here to find problem or is offended to find my method being 'Corrected'....

But we newbies have to 'Start' from somewhere..... some setting we could try 1st.... before learning on our own.

Cheers

Which is why I suggest to TS to try this setting and work from there.... did I say this is the only setting that works ??

But 1st I must apologize to both you and Kit..... I'm sorry if I've offended both of you, I really do. I'm not here to find problem or is offended to find my method being 'Corrected'....

But we newbies have to 'Start' from somewhere..... some setting we could try 1st.... before learning on our own.
i think with that qualifying statement is fair enough. just hoped that you two would resolve this in a nice manner. :)

hope you understood that people had to comment because as you say, this is a newbies corner. and btw, don't feel constrained to comment, while some will see this as bad advice (and it is, actually), but perhaps something good came out of it as we all learnt something - and don't be afraid to be corrected either. cheers.

Cool down people...
There is always the case when some "talking" is involve.

Let's do experiments on the settings and move on, else if free can meetup for coffee sessions and discuss. :)

woah woah pple.. dun get hot or argue over a newbie's questions.
I understand each and everyone's intentions. Ya we do have level in rating ourselves.
Newbie -- Semi Pro -- Pro -- Professional shooters.

each level had diff exposures and diff skills and things to learn.
I appreciate all e comments here. and before any further heavier investment. I like to make a full good use for my FZ7.

yo bros. cheer out.

Status
Not open for further replies.