Crossing Bridges Photo Exhibition 6-20 Oct 04

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jcryan55

Hi...all,

The long awaited exhibition that is organised by Clubsnap, Offstone & Fotografer.net is finally here!!!!!

FINALPOSTER3x5.jpg

“For the first time in the world, 36 photographers and enthusiasts representing three online photo forums [Fotografer.net, ClubSNAP and Offstone] from two different countries [Indonesia and Singapore] have come offline for a photo-hunting event,” states Eddie Ng, initiator and organizer of the event. “Not even the popular Photo.net or Pbase.com has done something similar.” Quoted Eddie Ng, organiser of the event in May 04.

What is also unique is that the event was entirely grassroot driven and not aligned to any “official” cultural agencies from the two countries. In the womb of the web, bureaucracy was bridged. At Yogyakarta, friendships were made. Photo history, in this sense, mirrors Javanese history on this thin and fertile strip of land where different religions and cultures have mingled and learnt from one another.

On 6 to 20 October 2004, this photo history is coming to The Photographer’s Gallery (TPG), MITA Building, 140 Hill Street, #01-02, Singapore, in an exhibition titled “Crossing Bridges: A Visual Journey through Central Java by Singapore and Indonesia Photographic Communities”. Renowned architecture photographer Mr. Albert Lim, epSITE manager Mr. Tan Haur and PHOTOi editor Mr. John Cosgrove have helped out as curators in selecting the images for the 26 participating photographers.

NIKON is the co-sponsor for the exhibition. The prestigious brand has always been keen to celebrate the “entrepreneurial” spirit of photographers. Sensing the poignancy of this historic event, NIKON Singapore has backed the group up emphatically.

“The full potential of the Nikon brand will be revealed when our vision enables us not only to meet photographers’ expectations, but to inspire them to realize their dreams as well,” explains Mr. Jeffrey Low, GM of Nikon Singapore.

“‘Crossing Bridges’ has truly brought out the essence of imaging and we at Nikon are proud to be ‘At the Heart’ of it.” Mr. Jeffrey adds, referring to the group’s brand statement of “At the Heart of the Image”.

Incidentally, about 80 percent of the participating photographers shooting on D-SLR format are NIKON users.

epSITE – EPSON Imaging Gallery – is sponsoring the printing of the exhibition. All images are printed using EPSON’s latest range of professional graphic printers.

The photos on display takes full advantage of the powerful output that EPSON’s professional graphic printers can produce and through this process, epSITE is able to illustrate the synergy between technology and art.

“This exhibition is in line with epSITE’s philosophy of bringing the knowledge of digital workflow and high quality photo printing technology to the masses,” says Mr. Tan Haur. “I needed very little convincing to sponsor the exhibition when I saw the pictures, which are of a very high standard.”

Last but not least, Indocafe and Beaver's Pub is the F&B sponsor for the opening reception and a strong enough reason to be at TPG on 9 October. The opening event will be strictly by invitation only.

The photographers exhibiting are (not in ocder of Merits):

Indonesia
Agatha Anne
Arbain Rambey
Aryono Huboyo Djati
Bernardo Halim
Budi Darmawan
Charles Hardi
Dominikus BW
Goenadi Haryanto
Imam Tjahjono
Kristupa Saragih
Mimy Tamardi
Ruel Tafalla
Suryo Priyantoro

Singapore
Bryan Lim (Binbeto)
Danielle Wong (Danielle)
Eddie Ng (EdNg)
Jack Tan Cze Yang (Czeyang)
Jason Lim (Jasphotography)
Jeffrey Yap (jcryan55)
Larry Loh (Larry)
May Hsi (Ullyss)
Sebastian Song (Sebastian)
Victor (Seeker)
Willy Foo (Willyfoo)
Zhuang Wubin

Hi! The exhibition will begin on 6 Oct BUT RECEPTION AND OFFICIAL OPENING IS ON 9 OCT SATURDAY AT 3PM

Refreshments will be served. A group of Indonesian photographers from FN will be attending there as well.

It will be a GREAT time to meet and get to know one another and also to have a look at the Indonesian shooting 'styles' on exhibit.

See u guys there!

Ed

Any of you guys, who went for the trip have any tips of where to visit in Central Java for good shots? I'm flying there soon. PM Me.

be at the reception and speak to the Indonesian photographers first hand next weekend....... you'll get loads of information and contacts from them!

a dear friend and retired photographer Hong Tiong Peng who is wheel-chair bound will be attending. Tiong Peng was a well known studio photographer in the 60s and 70s and one of the first foreign photographers invited by the Chinese government to archive on film treasures from the Forbidden City.

After retiring, Tiong Peng walked God's path and was a preacher at several churches. He continues to guide and counsel today despite his condition.

He's lost both kidneys and suffers from various age-related illnesses. BUT he's got the guts and drive and he goes around with his digital Canon 300D in a wheelchair recording life's passage.

He's got an interesting collection of works that he'd done on the local Dialysis Center that I encouraged him to bring along to share with everyone.

Please, if you do see him on Saturday at the exhibition, please say 'Hi' to him and have a couple of words with him. Highly eloquent and colorful persona.

He's been a very silent lurker in Clubsnap and is looking forward to meeting some of the colorful characters in this Forum

ed

i remembered the name 'Hong Tiong Peng' in those days but just cannot remember if i have met him before. What was he well known for? maybe that will jolt my memory.

People....some sneak preview of the exhibition that opens today.....See all of you on Saturday...9 Oct, 3pm at the Photographers' Gallery, MITA Building.

DSC_00471.jpg

DSC_00461.jpg

DSC_00451.jpg

DSC_00491.jpg

Sorry....misss out one Indonesian Photographers' name. Mr Aryono was also in the exhibtion as well.
Corrected in the original post. Names was included at the gallery before opening but not updated in the forum.

Anyone knows the opening hours of this exhibition? I reached there 7pm on a weekday (straight after work) and it is closed.

ed9119 said:
a dear friend and retired photographer Hong Tiong Peng who is wheel-chair bound will be attending. Tiong Peng was a well known studio photographer in the 60s and 70s and one of the first foreign photographers invited by the Chinese government to archive on film treasures from the Forbidden City.

After retiring, Tiong Peng walked God's path and was a preacher at several churches. He continues to guide and counsel today despite his condition.

He's lost both kidneys and suffers from various age-related illnesses. BUT he's got the guts and drive and he goes around with his digital Canon 300D in a wheelchair recording life's passage.

He's got an interesting collection of works that he'd done on the local Dialysis Center that I encouraged him to bring along to share with everyone.

Please, if you do see him on Saturday at the exhibition, please say 'Hi' to him and have a couple of words with him. Highly eloquent and colorful persona.

He's been a very silent lurker in Clubsnap and is looking forward to meeting some of the colorful characters in this Forum

ed

I'd love to meet him ... you mean he's there on Saturdays? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.