Credit Cards ??

another example:

Total amount of petrol pumped at SPC station (meter reading): $250 / month
Using SPC&U card and pay by cash, current discount is 10% (promotional). Therefore $225/mth
Using SPC&U card and pay by POSB c/c, discount is 10% + 5% + 6%rebate, working out to about $200/mth, a further savings of $25/mth or $300p.a.

In photography terms, that's almost 1 x AF-S 35mm f/1.8DX, or much more than an AFD 50mm f/1.8 :D

I've been credit cardless for years and it's certainly one thing I can live with - I don't feel ashamed for using cash to pay...:bsmilie:

The only thing I feel CC is good to have is when you go overseas where carrying too much cash is dangerous. Otherwise, no need CC.

Debit card? My advice is create a separate bank account (at another bank if necessary) for the DC - you don't want a complete opened window into your funds. Then transfer fixed amount of cash into it - probably as good as controlled spending...

i have about 5 credit cards.
i have never been in debt because my payments are all paid in full monthly via giro.
when i swipe, i know i have the means to pay for the item in full there and then.

credit card does not equals to debt.
to me it is a means of convenience & discounts.

I've been credit cardless for years and it's certainly one thing I can live with - I don't feel ashamed for using cash to pay...:bsmilie:

Thanks for subsidizing credit card users for all those credit card promo, rebates and discount :)

I have been enjoying 5% rebate from pumping of petrol and buying of groceries, and 2% from all dinings

i have never been in debt because my payments are all paid in full monthly via giro.
when i swipe, i know i have the means to pay for the item in full there and then.

from the bank's point-of-view... you are not a "good" customer :bsmilie:

they can't earn late charges from you...

but this is a very good practice. i myself pay my credit card amount in full all the time. again, it's never a good idea to pay the minimum payment. the interest charge on the outstanding amount is a real killer. better pay up in full.

nowadays... bank's give out credit card like giving out candies to kids. those who just started working might be tempted to take up all the offerings and spend like there's no tomorrow. beware... a credit card is like a double-edge sword. it helps and kills you at the same time (if you are not careful).

i've got more than 10 but i only use 2 of them. the rest... are waiting to be cancelled :bsmilie:

hi friends, my girl actually just started working as a sales marketing executive 3months, with basic&commission, she is earning around 2.6k per month, she is applying for credit card but does she need to submit the CPF statement of the last 12months or 6months? as she just started work @ this company for 3months

as stated,

CPF statement of the last 6 months OR Income Tax Notice of Assessment OR latest computerised payslip (1 month for salaried employees or 3 months for commission earners).

some bank are more strict. they need your cpf statement. some bank no need.

actually i am not interested in those few % rebate. i use them for convenient sake for example traveling oversea,shopping online and playing online game.

Last edited:
hehehe credit card doesn't necessarily = debt.

I've owned credit cards for about 6 or 7 years already, and never been in debt to any single one of them. Agree with you that it's all about discipline and spending within means.

Yes, agree. A knife can be of good use if utilised in the correct way. Used it otherwise will do harm.

Similarly, a credit card can be very handy if one is overseas or it can save us some money in terms of discounts and perks.

However, if the user cannot control himself/herself, then they are digging a hole and prepared to jump in. I agree that holding a credit card can make one not able to control themselves and keep buying stuff that they don't necessarily need.

yes agree. :thumbsup:

but it is also good to have credit cards because you can get things cheaper sometimes.
for example, before i got my cc, my monthly membership fee at gym is $88 for one year contract.

however, when i use my cc, it's $58/month for 2yrs contract. however self control and discipline is really really important.
Actually you can get free membership by going to nearby neighbourhood fitness corner. Just saying... ;)

some bank are more strict. they need your cpf statement. some bank no need.

actually i am not interested in those few % rebate. i use them for convenient sake for example traveling oversea,shopping online and playing online game.

yea, especially citibank i guess?

Keep in mind that not everyone has great self-control... Just like why some poeple needs anger-management, why - don't ask me - it's just the way it is...

Credit card works for some, but not all. Don't encourage or discourage - just don't do anything about it - it is up to the individual to weigh the pros and cons of having one, and then bear the consequences when things do go wrong, hopefully one does have good self-restraint on the overspending...

I've have been using creadit cards for many years but I've never paid any annual fees, late fees or interest :bsmilie:

If the bank charges me for any fees, I simply call them up and request for a waiver. If they are not willing to give me the waiver, I cancel the card :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

I make sure that I have the money to pay for purchases before I use a credit card. My aim is to make sure that I don't pay the bank more than what the purchases cost.

I make sure that I have the money to pay for purchases before I use a credit card. My aim is to make sure that I don't pay the bank more than what the purchases cost.

:bsmilie: :thumbsup:

I've have been using creadit cards for many years but I've never paid any annual fees, late fees or interest :bsmilie:

If the bank charges me for any fees, I simply call them up and request for a waiver. If they are not willing to give me the waiver, I cancel the card :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

agree, in fact it is the credit card companies who pay me to use their card :bsmilie:

i dun think her application will be approved...

she needs to work for at least 6 mths if not 1 year (when she gets her IRAS) :)

My father always say credit card is "hao lian card"

I only use my card on petrol. Else NETS is my best friend!

My father always say credit card is "hao lian card"

I only use my card on petrol. Else NETS is my best friend!
that's a bit narrow-minded, I feel.
If I say "people carry DSLR to hao lian that they are good photographers", how will you feel?

that's a bit narrow-minded, I feel.
If I say "people carry DSLR to hao lian that they are good photographers", how will you feel?

This is just a random comment from my father and why take it so seriously? Older generation pple dun have the habit to apply credit card.

What if i say pple driving opel to hao lian they driving continental cars? what will u feel too? (No Offence bro)