Crack on PT-027 Housing for C7070WZ


Status
Not open for further replies.

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
Hi guys, I'll be telling a story between me, Olympus(oly) and my PT-027 housing...hope i don't bore u all to death.

Almost 2 weeks ago, i went diving at phuket...and of cos i slug along my UW camera.

On hearing and reading so many horror stories, i decide to inspect my housing thoroughly (as well as install the Orings). after i settled in my lodging . To my horror, i found a cracks on the hotshoe mount...and the cracks ran from the screw thread right into the housing and i can feel 1 fine crack from the internal of the housing.

Feeling paranoid, i quicky installed the O-rings then dipped the housing into the pool for an initial submerge test...phew..no leak.

Diving is on the following morning, i brought my camera down. Eyes fixed on the housing as i descent slowly...no leaks. All subsequent dives done with no leaks up to depth of 36m.

I was quite puzzled how the crack came about...but finally deduced that it is a manufacture defect due to the following reasons:

I'm very sure this is a manufacture defect due to the following reasons:
1.No impact subjected on the hotshoe mount
2.No mounting of any sorts was put on the hotshoe mount
3.No tampering or tightening of screws
4.The hotshoe mount is not a stress point.

I went to Olympus Singapore the very next day i came back to singapore. Left the housing in their custody with hope that i might hear some good news.

Today i just went Oly again, to collect my housing. Oly refuse to acknowledge my problem and my claim, instead recommends that i buy a new housing from them abeit a special discount. They claim that marine housing is not a warrantied item and that it has passed their pressure test. But that's not the point isn't it?

I asked,"What if the same thing happens to my new purchase again" The reply came avoiding the question and states," The offer is still open to u". There is no assurance whatsoever...u buy, it spoil, u die...

Needless to say i was very disappointed with the level of service Oly is offering, i took back my housing and left.

Some pics...see to believe



More pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/15393761@N00/sets/1712011/
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
well..i'm considering that already...good stuff;p ...but it'll burn a hole in my wallet :eek:
 

seewhy

New Member
Jan 20, 2005
297
0
0
Singapore
After reading this, went back to check my PT-20 (for C5060). Luckily everything seems fine. Was thinking of mounting a torch, on the hotshoe mount, as a focusing light for macro in low light. Now having second thought about it after seeing what can happen to that connection. Better to get a good buddy who can shine for me.
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
Seewhy>Yeap manz...a portable strobe is always better ;)

SITUATION UPDATE
The defect on my housing is definitely not an isolated case
1.Nin's from Finsonline has same defect on her housing too, though not PT-027
2.Our fellow forumer Dylan PMed me a similar happening on his friend, said he will contact OLY on this but i'm not so hopeful of good news.

Btw I had some correspondence to Olympus Japan, the emails are attached below:

1st email - a)requires me to sent the housing with warranty card (no warranty card comes
with housing) for Oly Japan to check
b) Oly SGP has no cap to repair housing
-----1st email reply from OLY Japan----- said:
----Original Message-----
From: vanmail@csvoice.csc.olympus.co.jp [mailto:vanmail@csvoice.csc.olympus.co.jp] On Behalf Of Technical-Support
Sent: Thursday, 29 December, 2005 05:00 PM
To: XXX@yahoo.com.sg
Subject: OLY[1256904] Re:Olympus Site Mail Form [Digital Camera : E200512290009833]


Dear XXX,

Thank you for your e-mail concerning PT-027.

Regarding the crack of PT-027, we are unable to give you any comments
without having your PT-027 for inspection.

However, our service station in Singapore doesn't repair for underwater housing.

If you let us have your PT-027 with its warranty card to our service station
at the following address by EMS EXPRESS, we will give it a complete checkup
and inform you about the result.

Please attach a note describing the problem and your reference number 1256904.

When you send the PT-027 to us, please pack it using ample packing material to prevent it from the possible damages in transit.

Please confirm that you have no problem at the customs to import the camera
after repair.

*** OLYMPUS Technical Service ***
To :Repair Desk ( Reference number: 1256904 )
Olympus Okaya Repair Center
3-15-1 Osachihibamiya, Okaya City,
Nagano 394-0083
TEL. (0266)-26-0330
FAL. (0266)-26-2011

Thank you.

Best Regards,

S. Maeshiro
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

Since our office is closed from December 30th through January 4th,
we may not be able to contact you before January 5th.
The inquiries will be replied as soon as we come back to the office. Your patience and understanding will be greatly appreciated.

----------------original message----------------

>Hi, i have found a crack on my marine housing pt-027 for C7070WZ. The
>crack originates from the hotshoe mount screws all the way down into
>the housing itself. I am able to feel for a crack line. Miraculously,
>there isn't a leak during pressure check, but i can't be sure there
>won't be any leaks in the days to come.
>
>I'm very sure this is a manufacture defect due to the following
>reasons: 1.No impact subjected on the hotshoe mount 2.No mounting of
>any sorts was put on the hotshoe mount 3.No tampering or tightening of
>screws 4.The hotshoe mount is not a stress point.
>
>I'm very disappointed with the quality of the housing, having seen
>cracks in just a few months of usage.
>
>Had a talk with Olympus Singapore today, recommended me to buy a new
>housing. I was equally disappointed by the answer as i broached the
>question: What if the same thing happens to my next housing.
>
>Sad to say, this has also lowered by confidence and belief on Olympus's
>products
>
>
>

** Notice **
When you send reply back to us,could you please be kind
enough to leave our registered No. (OLY[****]) on the subject?
Thanks for your cooperation in advance. ===================================================================
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
2951 Ishikawa-cho Hachioji-shi Tokyo,192-8507 Japan
E-mail:cs.support@ish.olympus.co.jp
FAX :81-426-42-7486

* All rights of the information given in this e-mail are reserved. ===================================================================
2nd email - affirms the requirement for me to send the housing to Oly Japan together with warranty card(?) and proof of purchase (Receipt?)
2nd email reply from OLY Japan said:
----Original Message-----
From: vanmail@csvoice.csc.olympus.co.jp [mailto:vanmail@csvoice.csc.olympus.co.jp] On Behalf Of Technical-Support
Sent: Thursday, 05 January, 2006 10:42 AM
To: XXX@yahoo.com.sg
Subject: OLY[1256904] Re:Olympus Site Mail Form [Digital Camera : E200512290009833]


Dear XXX,

Thank you for your reply.

Please kindly accept our apologies for late reply in advance.

As we explained in our previous mail, we are unable to diagnose
the problem without having your protector.
We suggest that you send the equipment to our service station
together with a copy of the warranty card and the purchase evidence
for our consideration.

Best Regards,

S. Maeshiro
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

----------------original message----------------

>Hi,
>
>I do understand that Olympus does not warrant on Marine Housings.
>
>My insistence in pursuing the matter is due to the fact that I strongly
>believe that it is a manufacture defect. If you need to view the
>pictures, just let me know I'll email it over ASAP.
>
>For your info, the housing has been checked by Olympus singapore and
>pressure check performed with no leak.
>
>However, with this inherent defect on my housing, it might just give
>way anytime...and poof there goes my camera
>
>Regards


** Notice **
When you send reply back to us,could you please be kind
enough to leave our registered No. (OLY[****]) on the subject?
Thanks for your cooperation in advance.
3rd email - No comments from Oly on the pictures that i sent to them.
- postage cost will have to borne my myself for at least 1 way
- there is no assurance that item can be prepared or replacement given
For this i see little value to sending my housing to them
3rd email reply from OLY Japan said:
-----Original Message-----
From: vanmail@csvoice.csc.olympus.co.jp [mailto:vanmail@csvoice.csc.olympus.co.jp] On Behalf Of Technical-Support
Sent: Tuesday, 10 January, 2006 02:23 PM
To: XXX@yahoo.com.sg
Subject: OLY[1256904] Re:Olympus Site Mail Form [Digital Camera : E200512290009833]


Dear XXX,

Thank you for your reply.

In your case, the postage cost will be as follows.

A) If the item is non- repairable, the return postage will be borne
by Olympus.

B) If the repair was chargeable due to the out-of warranty period,
return postage will be included in our service cost.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

S. Maeshiro
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

----------------original message----------------

>Hi,
>
>Is Olympus paying for the freight charges both ways?
>What if upon checking Olympus Japan thinks that
>A) the item is non- repairable
>B) the item would not be warranted although it is a manufacturer defect
>
>I have all the pictures you need to see the defect


** Notice **
When you send reply back to us,could you please be kind
enough to leave our registered No. (OLY[****]) on the subject?
Thanks for your cooperation in advance.
 

V

vince123123

Guest
How much is the housing which you bought for the Olympus? If it is indeed a manufacturing defect, they shouldn't be able to just brush you aside.

It looks like the screws were either screwed too hard or improperly, resulting in a crack.

Did the crack appear before, during, or after the time you bought it?
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
The housing is retailing at abt 400 or so.

The crack were not there when i bought it, seems that it was developed over time. FYI it was at the 5th month of ownership that i discovered it...prob too late...and too weak a bullet for them to acknowledge that it's an inferior product.

U can judge for yourself based on the pics that there is really no tampering or impact on the hotshoe mount...i didn't even mount anything on it.

The only explanation i can gather from what i see on the housing is that the screws are screwed too tight during the factory assembly process.

Anyway, have totally given up on OLY for their 'excellent' support. Have turned to scubacam for some professional help and repair with pressure testing, I'm sure they are gona do a good job.

cheers
 

V

vince123123

Guest
If its ard $400, and you don't mind spending some time and effort for justice, I think you can try lodging a claim in the Small Claims Tribunal. Chances are you can get back some money.

From the response, it sounds like they are just trying to hush up the affair. You may also want to post your thread on other forums. I only chanced upon your thread by chance :p

yzr500abe said:
The housing is retailing at abt 400 or so.

The crack were not there when i bought it, seems that it was developed over time. FYI it was at the 5th month of ownership that i discovered it...prob too late...and too weak a bullet for them to acknowledge that it's an inferior product.

U can judge for yourself based on the pics that there is really no tampering or impact on the hotshoe mount...i didn't even mount anything on it.

The only explanation i can gather from what i see on the housing is that the screws are screwed too tight during the factory assembly process.

Anyway, have totally given up on OLY for their 'excellent' support. Have turned to scubacam for some professional help and repair with pressure testing, I'm sure they are gona do a good job.

cheers
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
Actually i posted on at least 3 forums, not to gain sympathy, but just to know what they expect from OLY.

NAh...i'm not gona waste any more time...if i can get it repaired at a small fee...that'll be gd enuff....OLY can go fly kite
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
My camera housing has been repaired...much cheaper than i expected...with pressure test of cos.

Guess what, OLY SGP told me my housing did not leak when they do the pressure test...but judging from the rusty screw and crack i found it hard to believe....and it really did leak when the initial pressure test is done by an independant party....

All said and done, housing is repaired and tested to the spec of 40m,...boy am i relieved :)
 

V

vince123123

Guest
So u shd tell them about it.
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
it doesn't help matters even if i tell them. I don't think they will reinburse me the damages or perhaps give me a new housing...fat hope i think.

My housing is repaired and pressure tested...even if i bring it up to OLY, i'm sure they'll want some proof of the leakage...which i'm not able to show...how to show them leak when my housing is now fixed.

But maybe i'm gona tell them how unprofessional they are as well as how 'good' their service support is....maybe not ...
 

brittlestars

New Member
Nov 28, 2005
46
0
0
Hi yzr500abe, sorry to hear about your Oly housing but glad you got it fixed.

I'm actually considering buying a Oly UW set now. But after reading your posts, I'm having 2nd thoughts about it.

Seriously, would you recommend this brand to newbie like me? Are other brands' housing more superior than Oly based on experience? I know this is a subjective question to ask but I welcome anyone's experience on this quality issue.

Thanks! :D
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
yzr500abe said:
My camera housing has been repaired...much cheaper than i expected...with pressure test of cos.

Guess what, OLY SGP told me my housing did not leak when they do the pressure test...but judging from the rusty screw and crack i found it hard to believe....and it really did leak when the initial pressure test is done by an independant party....

All said and done, housing is repaired and tested to the spec of 40m,...boy am i relieved :)
Glad to hear you have your problem fixed. How was the repair done? Was it some form of epoxy resin process?
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
brittlestars said:
Hi yzr500abe, sorry to hear about your Oly housing but glad you got it fixed.

I'm actually considering buying a Oly UW set now. But after reading your posts, I'm having 2nd thoughts about it.

Seriously, would you recommend this brand to newbie like me? Are other brands' housing more superior than Oly based on experience? I know this is a subjective question to ask but I welcome anyone's experience on this quality issue.

Thanks! :D
I'll say no brand is superior to the other...all have their own good points and bad points. Brand supporters will churn out all sorts of reasons to say that their favourite brand is good or maybe the best.....but that's of course subjective and up to personal preference.

I'll say OLY has the widest range of UW housings...but their product support i'll not comment on.

For picture and camera built quality, i'm OLY's side.

Although i do own a sony p&s, but i'll not recommend u on sony as their housings are absurbly expensive....not withstanding that they are designed with much fanciful features to use on land.

Sony's accessories and storage media are only meant to be used on their specific models only...and u'll have problems on interchangabilty of accessories between cameras later on.

I've not been in touch with sony's latest models, thus i'm not sure that they have made any improvements. Check out www.dpreview.com for latest info.

Just my 2 cents worth
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
kahheng said:
Glad to hear you have your problem fixed. How was the repair done? Was it some form of epoxy resin process?
I was about to DIY a repair using epoxy resin. After spoken to scubacam, i decide to let them handle my repair process.

It was done professionally at a small fee, and I was one satisfied customer.
 

stonefish35

New Member
Mar 26, 2005
882
0
0
yzr500abe said:
I was about to DIY a repair using epoxy resin. After spoken to scubacam, i decide to let them handle my repair process.

It was done professionally at a small fee, and I was one satisfied customer.

Yeah man, I will second this statement. I'm another satisfied customer. When i'm looking around for macro lens for my canon some weeks back, i'm glad that i bought from them . If I had bought my Inon 67mm macro lens adapter from another source, it will not be compatiable for my A95. scubacam customised it for me, at a small fee.

And recently during a local dive, a friend's video housing had a minor leak,
sent to them for repair the same day after the dives, and they worked on it immediately and pressure tested it. The housing was operational the next day. :thumbsup:

talking about this, i realised the importance of leak detector with LED and sound alert. which I will open another thread , so that will not hijack this thread,
 

brittlestars

New Member
Nov 28, 2005
46
0
0
yzr500abe said:
I'll say OLY has the widest range of UW housings...but their product support i'll not comment on.

For picture and camera built quality, i'm OLY's side.
The only bomber about Oly is that they are using xD-Picture cards, which are fairly expensive vs SD cards. And like Sony's Memory Sticks, XD-Picture cards can only be used on Olys and Fujis. Sigh...
 

yzr500abe

New Member
Mar 19, 2005
248
0
0
45
well...my 7070 is on both cf and xd. no prob for me at all.

In fact oly uses dual formats on some models...for me i'll stay away from models using cards other than CF...'cos i own 5 CF cards of various capacities. :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.