[Cosplay] Cosfest IX "Let's Make Friends"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries. I understand that photographers need to air grievances/complain once in a while when they can't capture a scene as they envision due to other GWCs. I know I did that for the past couple mega cosplay events. I barely took out my camera out of my bag once I see a wall of photographers. :bsmilie: Considering quiting the events scene and going for photoshoots these days. :rolleyes:

And I do agree and have seen some Ah Peks "having their way" with certain scantily clad cosplayers. :nono:

Not so much complaining about Ah Pek's... more disagreeing with iadvise99 who advised that is "best" to pull the Cosplayers to one corner.

I'm fine with makeshift/ outdoor studio as long as it is conducted properly. No hogging of participants or poses adjustment (non-verbal kind).
Young participants are too shy to reject the ah peks when they were asked "politely". One of them was hijack midway from 5 photog. Uncle usher her to shoot at under a tree (bad lighting condition for 5pm). She was giving an uneasy feeling look initially but she complied to his request which all of us got nothing to say.

Last edited:
The cosplayers are free to choose with who and how they want to pose, as long as both parties consent and no risque actions occur. Sometimes, sexy poses are the traits of a particular character.

How is giving the cosplayers a better photograph treatment "exploiting" them? Some of these photographers do e-mail the pics to the cosplayers personally.

Bro, we are not talking about everyone with umbrella setup. There is a specific group that some of us witness the scene of uneasy air. If you notice there are very young girls (probability underaged) who are in cosplay. Potentially or I dare say they might be easy target to be exploited. I'm coming from the perspective to ensure the participants well being rather than happily get a shot and leave them without help.

Between that is definitely right to ask permission and exchange contacts to email them photos.

Bro, we are not talking about everyone with umbrella setup. There is a specific group that some of us witness the scene of uneasy air. If you notice there are very young girls (probability underaged) who are in cosplay. Potentially or I dare say they might be easy target to be exploited. I'm coming from the perspective to ensure the participants well being rather than happily get a shot and leave them without help.

Between that is definitely right to ask permission and exchange contacts to email them photos.

I understand you are not making a sweeping statement against "mini-studios", just a few bad seeds, as with any other groups (ladder gang, etc), so no offence intended/taken. :)

Sadly, I was pretty much rooted to my corner and did not see much of the other setups/situation. Except for that huge studio flash setup + softbox combo that could be seen across the lawn. :sweat:

But yeah, I'm afraid for these young girls in such a stressful situation. I have heard my fair share of horror stories. :(

Going to put in my 2 cents here (apologies to TS for the hijack-escalation).

To the cosplayers, especially new ones, having more exposure means they are more "well-known" to photographers who are in the "scene". The chances of photoshoots increased greatly, and once there is a mutual trust, both the cosplayer and photographer can do lots of things. I personally know of one photographer who has made names overseas just by being in the scene for quite long.

Personally speaking, this is a free country. Anyone can do anything as long as laws are obeyed and everybody feels happy in the end.

In my very personal opinion, anyway, cosplay events like this is something like a "business convention," where cosplayers wanting to make big can approach for photographers' access. First-timer photographers come in here to "trade" pictures with cosplayers and build up a relationship (working or otherwise).

Updated: About horror stories, *sigh*. Am I the only one who feels like quitting the cosplay events photography scene altogether?

Anyway enough of my rants:

TS, good attempts. D300s has good ISO, so go high indoors. Decent subject isolation on some pictures, but in events like this, best you can hope for is a decent lens that can blur out the crowd.

As for myself, I find my own pictures... "lacking." What was that WTDuck comic that detailed the highs and lows of a photographer's willpower?

Last edited:
Going to put in my 2 cents here (apologies to TS for the hijack-escalation).

To the cosplayers, especially new ones, having more exposure means they are more "well-known" to photographers who are in the "scene". The chances of photoshoots increased greatly, and once there is a mutual trust, both the cosplayer and photographer can do lots of things. I personally know of one photographer who has made names overseas just by being in the scene for quite long.

Personally speaking, this is a free country. Anyone can do anything as long as laws are obeyed and everybody feels happy in the end.

In my very personal opinion, anyway, cosplay events like this is something like a "business convention," where cosplayers wanting to make big can approach for photographers' access. First-timer photographers come in here to "trade" pictures with cosplayers and build up a relationship (working or otherwise).

Updated: About horror stories, *sigh*. Am I the only one who feels like quitting the cosplay events photography scene altogether?

Anyway enough of my rants:

TS, good attempts. D300s has good ISO, so go high indoors. Decent subject isolation on some pictures, but in events like this, best you can hope for is a decent lens that can blur out the crowd.

As for myself, I find my own pictures... "lacking." What was that WTDuck comic that detailed the highs and lows of a photographer's willpower?

Appreciate your inputs as well.

Regards to photographing such event, still working on them. :sweatsm:
Hope to achieve better ones in future. Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.