copyright infringement discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha well yep, thats the world we live in. but i don't understand your second sentence. what context are you using it in?

oh i meant that we are alright to use the music or song for our webby (no one complains la) but if you use my images (kenna caught) is a no no.

oh i meant that we are alright to use the music or song for our webby (no one complains la) but if you use my images (kenna caught) is a no no.

ooooh :) ok...

as i just posted in the other thread, the use of the images/music in one's own web page, (unless it is a commercial webpage) does not generate income. But using it in a portfolio, you stand to gain financially from the works of others.

Sorry guys, one more question. What about hyperlink to the image? Is is ok or no ok?

as i just posted in the other thread, the use of the images/music in one's own web page, (unless it is a commercial webpage) does not generate income. But using it in a portfolio, you stand to gain financially from the works of others.

what about wedding photography website?

This is a very dangerously wrong statement to make.....

Sorry guys, one more question. What about hyperlink to the image? Is is ok or no ok?

that one i'm not sure :) there was some debate recently after a local company tried to be smart and patented hyperlinking, and wanted to get everyone who hyperlinks to pay them a royalty fee. I'm not sure what the outcome was, but since the hoo-ha died down i assume they didn't succede

what about wedding photography website?

hmmm that counts as a portfolio doesn't it? since it showcases works to potential clients?

They didn't patent image hyperlinks as they tried to tell people. Their patent doesn't cover what they said it did.

that one i'm not sure :) there was some debate recently after a local company tried to be smart and patented hyperlinking, and wanted to get everyone who hyperlinks to pay them a royalty fee. I'm not sure what the outcome was, but since the hoo-ha died down i assume they didn't succede

hmmm that counts as a portfolio doesn't it? since it showcases works to potential clients?

I was just commenting on the patent claimed by VueStar.

As for whether it sokay to hyperlink or not, this is a very complex area of law (and I'll admit that I don't know the answer), so if I were you, I won't venture that way, unless there is very good commercial reason to.

so its ok to hyperlink?

As for whether it sokay to hyperlink or not, this is a very complex area of law (and I'll admit that I don't know the answer), so if I were you, I won't venture that way, unless there is very good commercial reason to.

Aiya! Then next time I better ask my models to take their own photos......:lovegrin:

Thanks for the inputs.

sorry bro, thanks for the correction. even when i create a slideshow to display in a wedding dinner consider commercial purpose or create a slideshow to show the public also need to pay?

for this u need to ask for permission otherwise its unauthorized usage. from what i understand is alot of wedding photographers use music to set the mood on their sites. the grey area is do they have permission to use the music from the creators or do they just take the risk and just use the songs. :dunno:

Err actually, you shouldn't venture that way precisely beacause there is a good commercial reason to, because if there was a significant sum of money involved then all the more the risk of legal action by the copyright holder. ah yes the company's name is VueStar. hmmm i wonder what happened to them after that debacle.

Most just choose to take the risk.

for this u need to ask for permission otherwise its unauthorized usage. from what i understand is alot of wedding photographers use music to set the mood on their sites. the grey area is do they have permission to use the music from the creators or do they just take the risk and just use the songs. :dunno:

Commercial reason does not always equate to large amounts of money involved :)

But I think the risk of hyperlinking is much less than outright copyright infringement although for non-commercial purposes.

Err actually, you shouldn't venture that way precisely beacause there is a good commercial reason to, because if there was a significant sum of money involved then all the more the risk of legal action by the copyright holder. ah yes the company's name is VueStar. hmmm i wonder what happened to them after that debacle.

Commercial reason does not always equate to large amounts of money involved :)

But I think the risk of hyperlinking is much less than outright copyright infringement although for non-commercial purposes.

i stand corrected :) DOES it constitute copyright infringement? to use, for example, a piece of music that you bought online for a party at your house for your friends? (i'm not asking a rheteorical question)

For music in slideshow... it's infringement of copyright even if you use it in wedding dinners, portfolio slideshows..etc. The original CD/DVD/MP3 you got is actually for personal usage. Public "broadcast" requires separate licensing.

RF music should be much like RF pics... RF only for specific uses.:think:

For music in slideshow... it's infringement of copyright even if you use it in wedding dinners, portfolio slideshows..etc. The original CD/DVD/MP3 you got is actually for personal usage. Public "broadcast" requires separate licensing.

RF music should be much like RF pics... RF only for specific uses.:think:

the problem is, what are those specific uses? i for one don't know them. of course, ignorance is no defense. hmmm but i'll rmb what you say when i'm doing up the wedding dinner slides and stuff for my friend.

If you don't know, better don't use.

the problem is, what are those specific uses? i for one don't know them. of course, ignorance is no defense. hmmm but i'll rmb what you say when i'm doing up the wedding dinner slides and stuff for my friend.

there is the fair use defense but how far can that go before its a stretch?

Status
Not open for further replies.