Confuse with image size for printing

b) the "so-called" "150dpi" files they get are probably mostly blown up in computer just to get to that spec, meaning the images don't have that much resolution to begin with anyway, and from what we can see on buses on the road this is evident, ;)

Bro...it is done in illustrator not on photoshop. The images are vectorised so when it is blown up, you don't lose detailing. :cool:

How long does it takes for the sharpening after the upsizing because the file must be huge in size.
that would depend on the file size and the computer being used wouldn't it ;)

Bro...it is done in illustrator not on photoshop. The images are vectorised so when it is blown up, you don't lose detailing. :cool:
only vector images are blown up without losing detail in Illustrator, not rastor ones like photographic images... it might look to have been up-sized in Illustrator in relation to the size of the artwork, but in actual fact the image is actually the same size and looks sharp only because Illustrator is rendering the artwork to screen size, but zoom in to 100% and beyond and you are gonna see the image is pixelated... I witnessed a case where a designer used a small rastor image to design a piece of artwork (nothing wrong with that as it is certainly faster going when complicated and/or large artworks are being designed), it looked ok to the client on the screen in a pdf draft seen fitted to full screen size on the client's computer, then when printed the client asked me why the photographic image is so "blur", and I checked out and found that the designer had overlooked replacing the small rastor working image with a larger version for the final print... I would recommend enlargement of rastor images to be done in Photoshop rather than Illustrator... :)

one could go for a very super detailed live traced conversion of the photographic image into a vector image, where even skin texture is vectorized, but that is gonna take a lot of computing power, give a huge file probably much larger in file size than the original rastor file and thus very unwieldly... you would still only have as much resolution as the original file has, possibly visibly sharper than a rastor resize, YMMV depending on how detailed the live trace was, and point a) of my earlier post would still apply... ;)

Last edited:
sorry to bring up this thread but i wanna ask smth regarding resolution, i found a picture on the internet with resolution 811 x 1024. If i wanna blow it up into a poster, what would be the best size for it so that the poster will still turn out sharp

sorry to bring up this thread but i wanna ask smth regarding resolution, i found a picture on the internet with resolution 811 x 1024. If i wanna blow it up into a poster, what would be the best size for it so that the poster will still turn out sharp

1024x811=800K for a picture. What size you're are blowing up to? A6? A5? A4? A3? A2? You can still escape with A5. But if you want to blow any bigger than that, your image will be pixelated. Hope that helps. :cool:

oh no i think i got it wrong, its dimensions is 811 pixels x 1024 pixels and the Horizontal resolution is 300 dpi and Vertical resolution is 300 dpi with bit dept of 24.
i dunno what size to blow up to, best if its bigger yet retain its sharpness. thanks

oh no i think i got it wrong, its dimensions is 811 pixels x 1024 pixels and the Horizontal resolution is 300 dpi and Vertical resolution is 300 dpi with bit dept of 24.
i dunno what size to blow up to, best if its bigger yet retain its sharpness. thanks

300dpi means 300pixels = 1 inch. 811pixels = 2.7inches. Just think for a moment how big can you blow up without losing detail.

At A5, image may still be "sharp", at A4 image will be soft and pixelated.

One way out of it is to use Photoshop and enlarge it at 10% increment each time followed by sharpening until you get to your desired size. That means you got to increase your longer edge by 4 times (3244pixels x 4096pixels) in order to print it in A4. :cool:

FYI, anything found in the internet does not belong to you, if you print it out you might get into trouble.

wow! okay, pretty confusing. dont worry i just intend for my personal collection, not for sale or anything

From experience, if you have a sharp picture at 200dpi at the given size, it should give you no issues when printing. Also it depends on the size you printing. Its not exactly necessary to have a 300 dpi A3 as its not meant to be look at 10cm. Of course if you are printing graphics or fine art, you may need the higher DPI.

i intend to print it around A2 size or above? possible?

Assuming viewing from optimal range. Its good. If you intend to view at 10cm, you will need twice the resolution lol

i intend to print it around A2 size or above? possible?

You see the A2 size posters around our MRT stations? They are printed from images that are 4096 x 3244 pixels. Photos less than 3000 pixels x 2000 pixels cannot make it. They will be too blurry.:cool: