Confuse between 24-70 f4 vs 50mm 1.2

vicdhika

Aug 2, 2011
Singapore
www.loqato.com
Im currently using 28mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8

So, thinking to get another lens that fit in middle but im stuck with zoom or prime!!
Can anyone give me suggestion?
Mostly i'll do street and portrait..
Not much event..

Im currently using 28mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8

So, thinking to get another lens that fit in middle but im stuck with zoom or prime!!
Can anyone give me suggestion?
Mostly i'll do street and portrait..
Not much event..

Personally I would lean towards the zoom particularly for street photography because it provides far more flexibility. Having said that, there are many who use a prime when shooting street. It really depends on preference.

Personally I would lean towards the zoom particularly for street photography because it provides far more flexibility. Having said that, there are many who use a prime when shooting street. It really depends on preference.

Ya.. I used 28mm on street.. And i crop when i edit it..
50L and 24-70 f4, i wonder which one is sharper..

the best answer will be coming from you.

rent both lenses and do some shoots with them. you will find out how they preform on the situations you mostly encounter.

no other information will able to beat your first hand experiences.

the best answer will be coming from you.

rent both lenses and do some shoots with them. you will find out how they preform on the situations you mostly encounter.

no other information will able to beat your first hand experiences.

Actually i used both before..
If want to have DOF, 50L is awesome!
F4 bokeh not as creamy as 50L..
Confuse!!!
F4 got macro and IS!!
Which is awesome tech!!

You're not confused, you just can't decide which one to buy. Go rent both for a weekend and make a decision after that. We cannot tell you which lens to buy because it's all down your own personal preference.

Confuse!!!
F4 got macro and IS!!
Which is awesome tech!!

Easy. Get both.

Confuse!!!
F4 got macro and IS!!
Which is awesome tech!!

I wish!! Hahaha.. If im earning with photography then can buy both la.. Hahaga

FYI, even a photographer is making money with photography, it does not justify to own more than necessity, like this two lenses if he can't make full use of them, only hobbyists capable of doing that.

Last edited:
FYI, even a photographer is making money with photography, it does not justify to own more than necessity, like this two lenses if he can't make full use of them, only hobbyists capable of doing that.

Thats also true! Hahaha... I knew an uncle who use 1dx, 24-70 mk2, 70-200, 16-35 with AUTO MODE! Rich uncle who really make me jealous!! Hahahah

Just get the one u like more or more useful for you.
I'm sure you already have 1 in mind. Only you can justify which is better for yourself.
If not then hold it...once you are ready you will know.

Just get the one u like more or more useful for you.
I'm sure you already have 1 in mind. Only you can justify which is better for yourself.
If not then hold it...once you are ready you will know.

Yes, i will.. When i decided, i will tell u all!! Hahahhaa...
Maybe not now, damn company hasnt paid me for my work in expo!! Already more than 3 months!!

If the mentioned lens is your bread and butter lens, you should have got it YESTERDAY. But then if you only use these lens once every few months, I think renting may be a better option. If you still have doubts about which one, you should just rent it as suggested by Catchlights.

Then, if you are a hobbyist, just spend within your means and get whatever that makes you happy...*why headache over a hobby?*

If you have the money to get 50f1.2 I am thinking why not get 24-70 f2.8 II. You get zoom of 24-70 f4 yet bigger aperture (though not f1.2).

Get the sigma 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and keet your 85/1.8.

Vicdhika, may I ask why you want to get either the 50mm or the 24-70 f4, I am also currently looking at either the canon 24-70 f4 IS or the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC, but I keep asking myself why do I need these len, i cant have an answer.
My current set up is samyang 14mm which I use mainly on landscape, the canon 40mm for general shooting and e 70-300 f4 if I need to shoot birds...:embrass:, I have also the 50mm f1.8 which I find it little tight, I am quite used to the 40mm now.

I think I am as confused too....:bsmilie:

Vicdhika, may I ask why you want to get either the 50mm or the 24-70 f4, I am also currently looking at either the canon 24-70 f4 IS or the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC, but I keep asking myself why do I need these len, i cant have an answer.
My current set up is samyang 14mm which I use mainly on landscape, the canon 40mm for general shooting and e 70-300 f4 if I need to shoot birds...:embrass:, I have also the 50mm f1.8 which I find it little tight, I am quite used to the 40mm now.

I think I am as confused too....:bsmilie:

Hahahha... Because i have 28 and 85.. I need something in between...
Thats why im getting the new lens...

50 1.2 grey set is 1.8k or official warranty 2k in msia..
24-70 f4 is 1.5k in msia too..

So troublesome.. Hahahhaha

do you have any use for the new lens? or is it that you want to fill the gap only?

I thought for street photography, you would be better off with a smaller setup for appearing less intrusive. I thot your 28mm will suffice. Other small lenses suggestion would be pancake 40/2.8 or 35/2 IS.

If you really want a bigger zoom lens, how about the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC ?