Computer Wizards, help cast a spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hello Wizards,

I've got a query here. I've been toying with an idea of having a TV in my smallish room, and I want to get an LCD TV since I dont have alot of room. Along with it, I want a DVD player and a good stereo system. Now, thats quite a bit of gear after u include my computer. I was thinking of integrating everything together, rather than having a seperate LCD TV + DVD player + Hometheatre system.

This I mean, 2 LCD panels coming out of my computer, one will be hooked to the wall, one will be used for computing usage. Doing this, I can use the computers DVD player, and Altec Lansing speakers.... basically, the only thing extra would be a LCD panel and a TV card. Is there any complications with this setup ? Am I able to surf internet on one panel, and watch TV/DVD on the other ? Can others control the TV channels like a normal TV using a remote control irregardless of what I'm doing on the computer ?

I might actually use a projector even.... not sure yet.

looks like you will need a powerful comp to do that. Basically would a comp for home entertainment. thought there were some setups meant to do that.

Only thing would be remote controls. otherwise everything is quite doable.

I am no computer wizards but I have something in common.

My Gear:

1 lcd monitor
1 dvd writer
1 altec lansing speakers

1 lcd tv
1 dvd player

The lcd monitor and tv are strategically placed such that they must both be within my eyesight or focal range (about 100 deg) at one time.

Altec Lansing speakers is shared between computer and lcd tv, but one at a time, which is rather inconvenient.

Thought of buying one large lcd monitor cum tv to solve speakers and space issues but don't like the idea to toggle between computing and tv programmes.

Never thought/like/dare of using your "1 computer powering 2 lcds method " for the following reasons:

(1) Computers do hang and there goes your tv programmes.
(2) Enjoy watching TV programmes on bed before sleep with auto shut-down (timer mode). "Computer TV" cannot right? :think:
(3) Everytime or anytime you want to watch or just check tv programmes, you must turn on your computer. How convenient!?!??
(4) I often played music (from computer), surf net and watch tv programmes at one time. Imagine 1 pair of altec lansing speakers to serve 3 applications ???

marcwang said:
Hello Wizards,

I've got a query here. I've been toying with an idea of having a TV in my smallish room, and I want to get an LCD TV since I dont have alot of room. Along with it, I want a DVD player and a good stereo system. Now, thats quite a bit of gear after u include my computer. I was thinking of integrating everything together, rather than having a seperate LCD TV + DVD player + Hometheatre system.

This I mean, 2 LCD panels coming out of my computer, one will be hooked to the wall, one will be used for computing usage. Doing this, I can use the computers DVD player, and Altec Lansing speakers.... basically, the only thing extra would be a LCD panel and a TV card. Is there any complications with this setup ? Am I able to surf internet on one panel, and watch TV/DVD on the other ? Can others control the TV channels like a normal TV using a remote control irregardless of what I'm doing on the computer ?

I might actually use a projector even.... not sure yet.

i'd prefer to make 1 SFF computer with a built in remote control module and also with a ATI graphics card with VIVO capability, with a good sound card. And if you wanted 2 monitors, also can, 1 is using standard D sub, another using DVI. Can toggle between 2 monitor and also control output on the secondary monitor to play only video.

otherwise, just get a 30" Apple cinema display, then split the screen also can, or maybe just do your work infront, then when you wanna watch dvd, just go further away.

Other than what jasphotography has mentioned, it would better to get just a separate TV system. I also have a 2-monitor setup with TV card, and perhaps because I have a slow video card and CPU (Matrox G400 + Duron 1.1GHz), the TV screen freezes when I do scrolling on the other monitor when I surf the Net, etc.

Also, the colours produced by a TV card may not be as vibrant as what you see on normal TV. Again this may be dependent on the monitor + TV card.

However, with a TV card in your computer, you can record your TV shows digitally! :) And the quality is quite good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.