Compatibility of Old lens for D50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scann

Nov 11, 2004
Hi,
My dad used to be an avid photographer and had a Nikon film camera. I do not know what model and he has a couple of lenses kept somewhere. Just wondering if they are compatible with D50 and what are the limitations. I am a newbie to DSLRs so any advise is appreciated..thanks!

regards,
Scann

it would help if u could find out which models your dad has. then from there, u can cross check wif nikon website whether it is compatible or not.

I checked over the weekend and all i know is the camera's name is Nikkomat which is very old. The lenses have no name on it. And its fully manual. Any ideas? Will the mount work with the current D50 model? Then I will not have to buy new lenses. Thanks!

Scann

Only F-mount glasses will be able to mount on the D50, MF glasses will not meter & focus with the D50.

espn said:
Only F-mount glasses will be able to mount on the D50, MF glasses will not meter & focus with the D50.

sorry for the ignorance..but i am quite a newbie with DSLRs, does that mean I have to do manual focusing or the mount will not fit or it fits and does not work? thanks!

scann

scann said:
sorry for the ignorance..but i am quite a newbie with DSLRs, does that mean I have to do manual focusing or the mount will not fit or it fits and does not work? thanks!

scann
Hi,

Yes, you need to do Manual focusing across any body that accepts F-mount glasses.

As long as the glass if F-mount, it will fit across any body that's F-mount for Nikon bodies.

There is no metering, so exposure control is totally manual also, ie, you need to set the aperture value & shutter accordingly to achieve what you want to shoot.

scann said:
I checked over the weekend and all i know is the camera's name is Nikkomat which is very old. The lenses have no name on it. And its fully manual. Any ideas? Will the mount work with the current D50 model? Then I will not have to buy new lenses. Thanks!

Scann

ANY lens from the Nikkomat (Nikkormat) era is NOT going to be a good match for the D50. These are almost certain to be what is commonly known as "non-AI" lenses, and according to page 107 of the English D50 manual are listed as INCOMPATIBLE accessories (meaning they probably should NOT be mounted). Even if you can safely mount them they will be extremely frustrating to use as there will be NO in-camera metering and you will be restricted to manual exposure mode only.

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm

Better to buy new lenses (such as the kit lens) to get the full benefit from your D50.

Non AI lenses will fit but have no metering but hey, you're using digital. Do a test shot, see the histogram, change settings and ta da! When you change lighting situations, repeat the above.

Not all F mount lenses will fit. The pre-AI one won't.

i think the ones my dad has cant be used...have a the little bat shaped metal piece....but they are really good lenses...well, according to my dad..:) ..thanks!

scann said:
i think the ones my dad has cant be used...have a the little bat shaped metal piece....but they are really good lenses...well, according to my dad..:) ..thanks!
use gaffer to stick the lens to your body.

espn said:
Hi,

Yes, you need to do Manual focusing across any body that accepts F-mount glasses.

As long as the glass if F-mount, it will fit across any body that's F-mount for Nikon bodies.

There is no metering, so exposure control is totally manual also, ie, you need to set the aperture value & shutter accordingly to achieve what you want to shoot.

Hi ESPN,

when manual lens is mount on the D50, shutter can be set but how about aperture. Does most lens meter with the aperture wide open(F2.8) and close to the set aperture (F18) when press the shutter? There hows the DOF pre-view works right?
Do advise please.

Status
Not open for further replies.