Comparison of 3.2Megapixel ultra compact digicams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dannynys,

When you send the photos direct off the camera to the printer (home or photo shop) the results is so-so, any brand, any make and any model.

What makes some cameras stand out is that the straight off the camera image is already good. I bought the S602 for that reason.

Secondly, with a little processing in our digital darkroom (PC), the images can be way enhanced. Here is again depending on camera model. Some model produces images good enough to be enhanced much, and still be nice coloured and sharp. Again the S602 has not failed me.

Next is the print, home inkjet printers will need to be in the range of 1200dpi to achieve (smooth image), while photo shops/labs print at 300dpi. The built in image processor to the lab machines can actually stretch a 150dpi image to 300dpi quite decently. In anycase, you don't look at 8R photos using a microscope, you view at arm's lenght away. You said that you do not like the 4R prints from Fuji, which camera, and what was the original image size? Or was it scanned from film or paper?

TME's list of 3MP cams include both consumer and prosumer cams. A 3MP photo from a prosumer cam will beat a 5MP image from a consumer cam. Better colours, sharpening, JPEG compression, etc.

Finally, (I can see the long discussion coming up), I prefer Fuji prints to Kodak print, anytime. I have printed several photos in parallel to Fotohub (Kodak) and Colourlab (Fuji). I gave those photos to various people I know to select their prefered image among the two, and I have 95% selecting the Fuji prints.

yowch said:
Dannynys,

When you send the photos direct off the camera to the printer (home or photo shop) the results is so-so, any brand, any make and any model.

What makes some cameras stand out is that the straight off the camera image is already good. I bought the S602 for that reason.

Secondly, with a little processing in our digital darkroom (PC), the images can be way enhanced. Here is again depending on camera model. Some model produces images good enough to be enhanced much, and still be nice coloured and sharp. Again the S602 has not failed me.

Next is the print, home inkjet printers will need to be in the range of 1200dpi to achieve (smooth image), while photo shops/labs print at 300dpi. The built in image processor to the lab machines can actually stretch a 150dpi image to 300dpi quite decently. In anycase, you don't look at 8R photos using a microscope, you view at arm's lenght away. You said that you do not like the 4R prints from Fuji, which camera, and what was the original image size? Or was it scanned from film or paper?

TME's list of 3MP cams include both consumer and prosumer cams. A 3MP photo from a prosumer cam will beat a 5MP image from a consumer cam. Better colours, sharpening, JPEG compression, etc.

Finally, (I can see the long discussion coming up), I prefer Fuji prints to Kodak print, anytime. I have printed several photos in parallel to Fotohub (Kodak) and Colourlab (Fuji). I gave those photos to various people I know to select their prefered image among the two, and I have 95% selecting the Fuji prints.

U notti boy...... u are making me salivate over the 602Z which I have no money to buy! Actually I included the 602Z for comparison purposes and I was interested in getting it... just that my sis refused...

In any case hor with regard to the printing quality of Kodak and Fuji, from what I am aware of, baed on their consumer films, Fuji goes the saturated, vivd colour route which most people including myself like and deem goo, while Kodak seems to be more neutral (which suits flesh tones well) but tend to look muddy, and uninspiring if the exposure wasn't spot on...... so really it's a matter of preference...... some people dun like Fuji cos they say it looks too artificial and Kodak too dull so they plump for Konica..... I never used Konica before (no chance yet) so I dun know.....

dannynys said:
Well, I don't really like the look of the 4R digital print out from Fuji. The colour looks weird and got this digital print out look. Maybe I'm too fussy for a 4R print, but I just don't feel digital is sharp. It looks great on screen though, but it's not that good on print. Perhaps, Mpenza can enlightened me on that?

One possibility is that you set it to a low resolution but this shouldn't affect the colors (it'll just give a pixelated and unsharp look). Another possibility is that the shop simply did a bad job. I ever have prints which turned out with a yellow cast and it's the photo lab's fault.

There're some very good offers at Sitex. Saw a one 3.2MP camera selling with a free underwater housing.... think it's the buy of the show for those into underwater photography.

mpenza said:
There're some very good offers at Sitex. Saw a one 3.2MP camera selling with a free underwater housing.... think it's the buy of the show for those into underwater photography.

But I tend to see that prices tend to be higher at SITEX even with the freebies.... like for Canon IXUS II, they give a free 64MB SD card at SITEX. But if I were to buy the camera from SLS, I will get it lower than the RRP at SITEX plus the card since the card is given by Canon Singapore.

which camera is that?

mpenza said:

TME said:
But I tend to see that prices tend to be higher at SITEX even with the freebies.... like for Canon IXUS II, they give a free 64MB SD card at SITEX. But if I were to buy the camera from SLS, I will get it lower than the RRP at SITEX plus the card since the card is given by Canon Singapore.

They're giving 2x64MB SD cards. Canon's offers at Sitex for the cameras aren't very good. Other manufacturers like Minolta and (I think) Nikon gave better offers.

sunnyday said:
which camera is that?

It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC F1. Outside price is around $530 without free gifts. At Sitex, it's $599 with underwater casing (~$200?), 2x32MB SD (not very useful though) and a few other goodies.

mpenza said:
They're giving 2x64MB SD cards. Canon's offers at Sitex for the cameras aren't very good. Other manufacturers like Minolta and (I think) Nikon gave better offers.

Huh?!! Confirm with u..... At SITEX, Canon is giving away 2x 64MB cards for the IXUS II? Any idea about Olympus? I'm looking at the mju300 as well...... my sis can't make up her mind...... if u can recall, do post here what freebies they give for Canon IXUS II and Olympus mju 300. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.