Compact Canon Camera. Which one to buy among SX40, G12, S100, SX230

kaylan2000

Jan 16, 2010
Singapore
Hi Guys and Gals,

Need your help to choose among the following Canon models. One of my close friend is looking for a compact camera and he shortlisted the following models. I have almost zero knowledge of the current compact offerings and was unable to help him.

Need your expert help please

1. SX40 $660
  2. G12 $660
  3. S100 $635
  4. SX230 $395
  5. SX150 $325

Anyway, I already suggested him an entry level DSLR but he is hesitant to make the big move yet.

Please suggest which one among the above you think is "Value for Money"

Many thanks in advance for your help and suggestion.

What your friend wanted to shoot most? Does he want lots of range or is IQ of the utmost importance? the SX-series of camera had massive zoom, but sensor are abit small, so noise control is not really that good. As for G12, it is a good camera, had bigger sensor and 5x zoom, that should do for most photoshooting. S100 is small and easy to use... and new... but read very bad reviews on the movie mode... something to take note on.

Anyway, ask your friend to first have an idea what he wanted... then go down to the shop and test these cameras up... since they are all canon's... user interface should be pretty similar, but do pay attention to ergonomic and weigh.

Last edited:
Appreciate your reply.

This guy is very new to photography and has not yet developed any special interest areas. So he wants everything, be it landscape, portraits, street photography ... including good video too ..)

You know, typical first timer!!

Then ask him if does he mind the size of sx40. If yes then go for s100. If not sx40 allows you to shoot from macro to super telephoto range which is almost everything.

If want small size, I will choose S100. I only have old S90 which I like it IQ & size (able to fit into my jean pocket). Have friend using G12, quite good review from them. Only things is that it not compact enough.
If want compact with long zoom, then maybe SX230. Size quite small too, but feel bit heavy compare to some small size compact camera.
Want some DSLR feel, SX40.

This just my view. :)
Those listed are all Powershot series, gd if want some manual control sometime.