Common Tilapia Speared by Stork Billed Kingfisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

knpan

May 2, 2006
Singapore
A Common Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) being speared by the Stork Billed Kingfisher (Halcyon capensis).

This shot and angle with the fish being pierced took me 2 whole months stalking, understanding this specfic bird's behaviour and knowing it's favourite perches.

It was paid off. It was featured in the book Private Lives : An Expose of Singapore's Mangroves.

DSC_9872678678.jpg

Missed the top part, pardon me as the action happened way too fast and framing was not a criteria.
DSC_9873.jpg

Good shots. The bird is pretty as well.

Well .....it paid off !

Awesome ! :thumbsup:

wah....lightning reactions!

bravo, great pic and great committment

knpan ...great moment and commitment .. just started birding haven even got the chance to see this bird

wah 2 months of stalking, lucky that fellow didn't make police report of you stalking him :)

good action shot kennie :)

Wow! I didn't know it actually speared through the fish, thought it catches it with its beak all these while.

Nice action captured. :)

thanks guys. Was shooting against the sun so lighting was not really in my favour, if not the color will have been better

thanks guys. Was shooting against the sun so lighting was not really in my favour, if not the color will have been better.

awesome shot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

for the 2nd shot, actually the composition is not too bad. by putting the bird too high, u captured most of the ripples at the bottom of the frame as well.

for me, it would be perfect if the shot were a little wider. i suppose it's uncropped? therefore, if wanna see a close up of the bird, can just use a tighter crop of the first pic.

2 months of stalking? how many trips did u make?

EDIT: wanna add, ur shutter speed is just about perfect. not sure if it was fully intentional (were u limited by light?) but i say perfect cos the bird's beak and fish are sharp, while i get a sense of action from the blurred wings. but the amount of blur is just nice IMHO. love it!

Last edited:
nice capture..... really inspiring....

all the HARDWORK AND SWEAT! paid off..

Congrats bro.:thumbsup:

awesome shot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

for the 2nd shot, actually the composition is not too bad. by putting the bird too high, u captured most of the ripples at the bottom of the frame as well.

for me, it would be perfect if the shot were a little wider. i suppose it's uncropped? therefore, if wanna see a close up of the bird, can just use a tighter crop of the first pic.

2 months of stalking? how many trips did u make?

EDIT: wanna add, ur shutter speed is just about perfect. not sure if it was fully intentional (were u limited by light?) but i say perfect cos the bird's beak and fish are sharp, while i get a sense of action from the blurred wings. but the amount of blur is just nice IMHO. love it!

thanks every1.

i have no more space at the top of the pic thats why the KF was at the edge of the frame for the 2nd pic, i feel that i just missed by a little bit, if not, it will have been a much better picture framing wise.

i will normally try to achieve at least 1/1600th for water splashing shots to really freeze the water movements and wing beats, but i was shooting against the sunlight as mentioned earlier , therefore the lowered shutter speed of 1/1000th of a sec.

Both of the pics were obviously cropped as i dont think anybody will have fast enough reflex to fill the whole bird in the frame 100 percent for really fast action shots. Of course , it is still possible for Frame filling image with usual flight shot from left to right, but i think it is really difficult for any1 to achieve 100 percent full frame shot of this different type of scenario.

Both are about 50 percent of the pic only. I have caught a pic of it fullframe of this KF diving that, even the wings are cut off from the frame. I will attach the pic below. Sadly i cant use it as i focused on the water droplets instead of the bird. I would have used it for a super close up action picture of the SBKF.

I did not count how many trips i made there, but it was more than 20 times, each day, appromimately 3 times of trying to get it in frame. The higer the frequency it dives, the more and better chance for me getting my dream shot. Many days , i would go there and get nothing in sight. So some trips were wasted, but i do not blame anything or anyone like that, because i believe in this genre of photography, one must always be prepared to have nothing at the end of the day.

kennie

Last edited:
This is the uncropped image at 250mm. Lighting was very good on that day too and i was shooting with the sun.
( If only the bird was in focused )
Notice the nicitating membrane covering its eyes to protect. Anything can happen in the water whilst wrestling with the fish
DSC_7929.jpg

Last edited:
ur last post was the most informative btw. i used to watch documentaries and have vague memories of that protective membrane over the eye.. :cool:

anyways, congrats that ur efforts finally paid off with great shots ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.