colour print and colour slide.. wats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpower

Feb 1, 2004
Jurong West
hi, wan to ask wats the difference between colour print and colour slides?
Want to try to use fuji velvia to take pcitures but will the development fees be more expensive? Can i develope the color slides in 4r ? Can normal development labs develope colour slides? pls advice.. thanx :)

nickpower said:
Want to try to use fuji velvia to take pcitures but will the development fees be more expensive? Can i develope the color slides in 4r ? Can normal development labs develope colour slides? pls advice.. thanx :)

Colour print films give you color negatives (the orangy coloured strips of film) from which labs give you colour prints. It has a wider exposure latitude and labs can usually help correct most exposure errors to yield a printable photo.

Colour slide films give you transparencies (slides). After processing, you get back the film itself (can be mounted or unmounted) which is in full colour, unlike negatives. Colour slide has less exposure latitude than film and so your exposure must be spot on to give good results; there's no lab to help correct your print.

Slides are more usually used for projection or just viewing using a lightbox. You can make prints from slides, but this is expensive and usually you would only want to do this for your best slides and not the whole roll.

You need to check that labs do E-6 processing to process slides. The chemicals and process used for processing slides and negatives are different, slide's E-6 and negatives are C-41. Cross processing is possible, i.e. develop slides in C-41 or vice versa but would result in strange effects and colour casts.

Also note Fuji Velvia 50 has very saturated colours. It's great for landscapes but horrible for portraits. It's also a super slow speed film, so use your tripod.

Hope that helps! :D

ps anymore knowlegable person can help correct my terminolgy or any misconceptions I have...

nickpower said:

there is no comparison between color print and color slides...
printing is done on PAPER and slides are FILM

you mean to compare color negative and color silde(positive or color reversal)
these are FILMS and you can compare them.

slide film is e-6 processed produces color slides or color reversal... all the colours are there already and those are the colors you would have seen when taking the picture

negative film is c-41 processed and what you get is a brown film with the negative colour information on it... (eg what was white is black on the film and what was blue is yellow... and what was red is green) think NEGATIVE color... thats what negative film is all about

try to go to a pro lab to develop your slides...like RGB color

and btw, developing is the processing of the film...you know the strips of plastic with the picture on it? thats DEVELOPING the FILM

and the size of the frame on the FILM is 24mm by 36mm while 4R is 4in by 6in...

4R or 5R kinda thing is PRINTING. PRINTING is done on PAPER. nothing to do with developing. and if you mean PRINTING, YES, you can print slides to 4R or any size you want... it will cost you though.

normal labs will accept your slide film but they would most prob send it out to a pro lab... so why not just send it there yourself...

i hope i have clarified your doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.