coffee grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's "Macap", not "Madcap"! Haha

The Compak and Macap models are similarly priced... they start from about $700 and go up up upwards... but I thought East West is going out of the equipment business. i know they are getting rid of their last ECM machine.

You're right! :embrass:

Not about East West going out of business though. Got in touch with them a few months back when I was looking for a Gaggia, but they only carry the Coffee model.

I think they are giving up certain product lines over at East West. They used to be the sole importer of Lavazza coffee up till a couple of months ago. And I think the ECM line of machines they carry are going soon.

A Rancillio Rocky from Spinelli's will set you back about $700, the ones at Taka go for about $100.

okay after a few weeks worth of research....i'll be going for the silvia/rocky combo tomorrow!

any disadvantage to getting the doser grinder? ppl in the forums seem to recomend the doserless version

I think the advantages of the doserless grinders outweigh the cons.

A Doserless grinder is way easier to clean, mainly due to the fact you won't have old grounds stuck in the doser. Quite often your first grind of the day would be to clear the old grounds from the day before. Besides not having to clean a doser, there is also less wastage, and more coffee!

If pulling several shots, a doser grinder would be more efficient as you can set it to grind for more than one shot and let the grounds accumulate. The distribution of a doser is usually cleaner than that of a doserless. Depending on the model, there is usually less clumping and heaping of the grounds. And if a bit of heaping occurs, you can just use your finger to swipe the excess grounds off the portafilter and back into the doser, which you can't with a doserless.

Anyways, I think for a home environment where one typically pulls 2-4 shots daily, the doserless is the way to go.

The Rocky/Silvia is a great starter combo although I understand the Silvia does take a bit of getting used to. But I'm sure you'd be rewarded with some beautiful crema soon. Congrats!

The Rocky/Silvia is a great starter combo although I understand the Silvia does take a bit of getting used to. But I'm sure you'd be rewarded with some beautiful crema soon. Congrats!

went with the doserless.....

next question: tampers!? the plastic one ain't going to cut it.

next question: tampers!? the plastic one ain't going to cut it.

then it's a no brainer decision ya? get a stainless steel tamper... highlander has a nice selection, with fancy handles and all. might as well look for a steaming pitcher and thermometer while you're there. a small kitchen timer with a magnetic base to plop onto the silvia would be nice too... and not forgetting espresso cups, cappacino cups, etc...

then it's a no brainer decision ya? get a stainless steel tamper... highlander has a nice selection, with fancy handles and all. might as well look for a steaming pitcher and thermometer while you're there. a small kitchen timer with a magnetic base to plop onto the silvia would be nice too... and not forgetting espresso cups, cappacino cups, etc...

yeah.....the stupid plastic tamper is too small for the basket!!!

hehe, got the cups and thermometers and pitchers already! ;p i think i will be drinking espresso and eating plain bread for the next few months :D

okay after a few weeks worth of research....i'll be going for the silvia/rocky combo tomorrow!

How's the new gear working out? Getting that wonderful crema yet? Pics!

What espresso machine are you using at the moment?

my coffee machine just spoil, now looking to replace it with an espresso machine

any recommendation for <$200? or shall i set the budget higher? Found these two in mustafa that is within my budget

47570.jpg

http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/ind...rl&ORPRD=47570&ORGRP=R05&ORCAT=SR02&ORLID=ENG

EC155def.jpg

http://www.delonghi.com/delonghi/da...9c21d271362b720a8525724200542894?OpenDocument

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the budget machines. Maybe this guide at Coffeegeek can help you out.

How's the new gear working out? Getting that wonderful crema yet? Pics!

haha, dont have a shot glass, so cant get a pic of the wonderful guiness creama i'm getting. haha. like real.

First few shots were bad. Bitter, watery and sour. Was experimenting with grind settings and tamp pressures. Was also using tamp/tap/tamp. So i suspected there miht have been some side channeling?

Am getting a aprox 1.5 oz shot out in 23 -25 seconds. not too much crema yet, but the coffee is starting to taste better. almost as good as something from a cofee bean ( which dosent say a lot abt their standards)

Problem now is the tamping. I dont have a weighing scale at home.....so am estimating the pressure needed. haha, have calibrated my arm on the office scale, but not while actually tamping.

Have you tried playing with a Naked portafilter?

my coffee machine just spoil, now looking to replace it with an espresso machine

any recommendation for <$200? or shall i set the budget higher? Found these two in mustafa that is within my budget

Wai,

these are known as electric moka pots...or steam driven espresso machines. They dont generate enough pressure to make a true espresso. A true espresso machine makes cofee using hot water at 9 bars of pressure. They do make a strong cup of coffee though. If this is what you want, by all means carry on.

I didnt get these cause i felt if i were to go through with grinding, tamping etc i might as well be getting a proper espresso.

hmm..according to the spec these two are pump machines that can produce 15 bars, just like those higher one one in 400-500 range :dunno:

I'm sorry i didnt make myself clearer. yeah...they can generate 15 bars of steam pressure, but a proper espresso machine uses water for proper extraction of aromatic oils etc. Anyway, dont get distracted by the pressure it can produce. 9 is all u need.

Status
Not open for further replies.