Clubsnap Outing 26 Dec '16

thoongeng

Jan 26, 2010
I'm starting this thread to share our shots during the outing: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650237.
Thanks to everyone who came, had hope you had a good time like me!

Posting some quick edit shots first:
#1 - Singapore River twilight
20161226-01_Clubsnap_Singapore_River_sunset_EPL6_5072_exp_3.jpg

#2 - Marina Bay
20161226-02_Clubsnap_Marina_Bay_twilight_EPL6_5082.jpg

#3 - Fullerton Hotel Marina Bay Singapore Countdown 2017 light show
20161226-03_Fullerton_Hotel_Marina_Bay_Singapore_Countdown_light_show_EPL6_5112.jpg

Thanks for viewing and awaiting to enjoy shots from fellow shooters soon
Seniors do feel free to give your critique and comments so everyone can learn!

Nice initiative TS, hope to see more outings like this. Merry Christmas!

Nice!

Waiting to see more picts from everyone. :)

Nice initiative TS, hope to see more outings like this. Merry Christmas!

Nice!

Waiting to see more picts from everyone. :)

Thanks bosses for dropping by! And oh ya, Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year everyone!

Btw... I found that when I stack the Haida square filters (2x GND or GND + ND), there were some internal reflections (eg bright building signs were repeated a little to the side of the actual sign), any seniors have experience of this, and how you mitigate the issue? Thanks!

First attempt at Night landscape of City buildings. I think the pointy spikes are too aggressive cos I closed down the aperture too much. Thanks also for Thoongeng for the super detailed explanation of ND filters and their usage. It was a fun and learning experience, hope to join in future outings!

Regards
Junwei

Last edited:
Great stuff thooneng.

Its great that you took the initiative to spread the joy of shooting!

I remember the two of us met on such an outing that was organized through Clubsnap.

Its a pity that we don't have as many outings any more.

Thanks bosses for dropping by! And oh ya, Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year everyone! Btw... I found that when I stack the Haida square filters (2x GND or GND + ND), there were some internal reflections (eg bright building signs were repeated a little to the side of the actual sign), any seniors have experience of this, and how you mitigate the issue? Thanks!

Which camera are u using?

Great stuff thooneng.

Its great that you took the initiative to spread the joy of shooting!

I remember the two of us met on such an outing that was organized through Clubsnap.

Its a pity that we don't have as many outings any more.

Thanks Norman for dropping by! Yeah I guess many people have to moved to other platforms like FB and IG... I agree I learnt a lot from the community so just trying to give back a bit but I'm not very hardworking only doing this ad-hoc ;p

Which camera are u using?

Ah yes I mainly see it when I use my Olympus E-PL6 and Panasonic 7-14mm f4 lens (with DIY filter adapter to the Haida filter holder :embrass:)
Have you experienced it?

First attempt at Night landscape of City buildings. I think the pointy spikes are too aggressive cos I closed down the aperture too much. Thanks also for Thoongeng for the super detailed explanation of ND filters and their usage. It was a fun and learning experience, hope to join in future outings!

Regards
Junwei

Really good first attempt, exposure good though when we went over to this location it was already later part of blue hour so the sky is a bit dark.

The 'starburst' you mentioned are a bit controversial but personally I like starbursts hehe... the disadvantage when you close down aperture too much are the effects of diffraction which reduces sharpness of the photograph... not sure if that's evident here as you image looks slightly fuzzy, but it may just be because of the low resolution or compression. Some masters do sacrifice a bit of image quality to get nicer starbursts, but nowadays there are also people who take multiple shots like one sharp shot with one with nice starburst then blend them together in post-processing

I took the liberty to edit your shot a bit... I brighted up the image as I see that there is still a bit blue in the sky, this also creates a bit more separation between the buildings and the sky. I also corrected the verticals of the buildings and cropped out a bit of the sky and left side as I thought it looks more balanced like this

antares2063_outing_shot_161226_edited1.jpg

Thanks again for joining! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Norman for dropping by! Yeah I guess many people have to moved to other platforms like FB and IG... I agree I learnt a lot from the community so just trying to give back a bit but I'm not very hardworking only doing this ad-hoc ;p

Ah yes I mainly see it when I use my Olympus E-PL6 and Panasonic 7-14mm f4 lens (with DIY filter adapter to the Haida filter holder :embrass:)
Have you experienced it?

Could be due to distance of the lens front element to filter is far due to built in hood. A black cloth covering top part of the GND might help reduce some backlighting reflecting into the lens.

Could be due to distance of the lens front element to filter is far due to built in hood. A black cloth covering top part of the GND might help reduce some backlighting reflecting into the lens.

Thanks boss, I remember you mentioned about the black cloth before, next time must remember to bring it out!

Thanks boss, I remember you mentioned about the black cloth before, next time must remember to bring it out!

No boss lah, hope to see more outings by you, hope can join too :)

Posting my edited shot. This was taken slightly after #1, using Haida 3 stop GND + 3 stop ND filter, settings were 30s exposure, f5.6, ISO100. Used 2 more underexposed shots to recover the building highlights, and also cloned out the 'extra' building lights caused by internal reflections ;p

This one was taken outside Esplanade, noticed the reflections when going to head off

Thanks for viewing :)