ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

The Oppo BR player is current on MO, at $899
If you are not swept by the current fever in xtremeplace.com for it, there will be other models by the end of the year.

There are alternatives even as of now, such as the Momitsu BDP 899 which offers BR region free play for USD 349 (before shipping)

thinking of setting up a budget amp for my HT at home thou. any ideas how much budget i should have ? i have my own speakers and all.

but thinking the tube amp shouldnt be too expensive.... prolly 300? possible ? i dun mind 2nd hand thou. :)

$300 is rather low for a tube amp, the closest is the Dared MP 5 hybrid for $3xx, you can search for sellers in echoloft

Tubes require maintainence and lots of tweaking, so you will need time.

Also consider the Nuforce Icon digital amp for $2xx, there are people selling it in xtremeplace.com

thinking of setting up a budget amp for my HT at home thou. any ideas how much budget i should have ? i have my own speakers and all.

but thinking the tube amp shouldnt be too expensive.... prolly 300? possible ? i dun mind 2nd hand thou. :)

FYI
SVS is finally coming to Singapore:
Launch session-
19/7/2009
12pm onwards
Grand Plaza Park Hotel

Oppo BD 80
This has just been released in Singapore, and for the MO price of 588, you get a Region Free for BR and Code Free for DVD player.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/

Available in Audio Iconic, Adelphi for 588.

Just installed the Oppo ...

Initial impressions are positive, loading times and responsiveness rated highly.
Awful remote control though with lousy feel and sensitvitiy.

Build quality as good as the Oppsie regular, weighs about the same. Gold plated sockets.

SQ for HT and audio are impressive, PQ is alright on my 50" although video performace for SD DVD is definitely worse than my Reon.
Nice to see the DSD light up, and hear my SACDs in 5.1.
Treble is splashy and the mids are not as mellow as my Marantz SACD (mod version).

Will post more when it is run in and after my weekend of fun in my new HT room.

Running the FW update was also simple, it detected my USB thumb drive immediately and the step to upgrade it were simple to follow.

How to change regions:

When the player is in standby, you press the blue button on the remote (bluray), until the unit beeps. Then you press either 1 (region A), 2 (region B), 3 (Region C). You get a series of bleeps to confirm the action depending on the option, and then you take the player out of standby. I think that is how it works anyway. I did not try last night.

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of getting a basic setup of av receiver with 5.1 speaker for my bedroom for general usage such as PS3 gaming, blu ray and some music listening. I understand that paying peanut gets monkey therefore I'm not expecting a lot.

Last weekend I saw this Yamaha receiver RXV 465 with NSP110 sats going for 800, I'm wondering if this setup is worth the price? or should I get another sets of speakers any recommendations? this receiver seems rather value for price!

Thank you!

I am doing out my new house and is currently looking to run the cables in the false ceiling first for back speakers. I will probably aim to have AMP + speakers costing about $1 - $2k max eventually. Any recommendations for the shops I should visit and the type of cables I can buy?

I have been looking out around, all the different brands just confuse me. I probably should aim for cables around 16AWG, is that correct? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks!

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of getting a basic setup of av receiver with 5.1 speaker for my bedroom for general usage such as PS3 gaming, blu ray and some music listening. I understand that paying peanut gets monkey therefore I'm not expecting a lot.

Last weekend I saw this Yamaha receiver RXV 465 with NSP110 sats going for 800, I'm wondering if this setup is worth the price? or should I get another sets of speakers any recommendations? this receiver seems rather value for price!

Thank you!

Friend your budget is quite modest, so you should either go with it or increase your budget.
Make sure the amp has audio for HDMI. Many of the older budget models don't do this or decode lossless sound.

I am doing out my new house and is currently looking to run the cables in the false ceiling first for back speakers. I will probably aim to have AMP + speakers costing about $1 - $2k max eventually. Any recommendations for the shops I should visit and the type of cables I can buy?

I have been looking out around, all the different brands just confuse me. I probably should aim for cables around 16AWG, is that correct? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks!

I can offer you this thread for much of the info you need.
I suggest at least 2k otherwise you will feel a need to upgrade very soon...

Systems:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=43618.0

How to buy and demo:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=73638.0

Im more to the vintage (and budget) side

Amp: Sansui A80
Tuner: Sansui T80
TT: Denon forgot what model
Spkrs: MS-CS1