CLS combo trigger Monolight & Speedlights - Followup

azul123

Dec 4, 2004
Eastern Bloc
Reference to my earlier post, here.

I hadn't totally stop my search for answers and found a solution here. Scroll to post #5 (need to login, I wasn't sure if I can put the whole text quote here, so just posting the link only) using FV Lock as part of the solution. That is why I love Nikon, it's flash system is second to none.

I only have speedlights.. I don't have monolight to confirm if this works, I am sure many people would be interested as it now offers opportunity to combine more light setups making creative lighting even "flashier". :sweatsm:

The poster of the solution had confirmed it works by using it on a portrait shoot in post#8. Still it would be nice if someone here can validate.

The poster of the solution had confirmed it works by using it on a portrait shoot in post#8. Still it would be nice if someone here can validate.
I believe wellspring's method will work if the remote SB600 set on manual mode, so it will not emit preflash.

however, personally I think is a waste of using the flash unit as a relay.

I understand you want to mix studio flash with Nikon CLS, your camera hotshoe should be mounted a SU800, to trigger all the CLS enable flash unit, you camera still have a PC socket, you can consider connect a radio trigger to trigger the studio strobe, have you the sensor of the studio strobe switch off, and attach a radio receiver to it, so this studio strobe will on response to the radio signal and ignore other flash or IR signal.

alternatively, you also can connect radio trigger to your off camera CLS enable flash unit, SB800 or SB900 also have PC socket at your disposer.

I have not tested this method, technically it should work, will test it out when I'm free.

hope this help.

I believe wellspring's method will work if the remote SB600 set on manual mode, so it will not emit preflash.

however, personally I think is a waste of using the flash unit as a relay.

I understand you want to mix studio flash with Nikon CLS, your camera hotshoe should be mounted a SU800, to trigger all the CLS enable flash unit, you camera still have a PC socket, you can consider connect a radio trigger to trigger the studio strobe, have you the sensor of the studio strobe switch off, and attach a radio receiver to it, so this studio strobe will on response to the radio signal and ignore other flash or IR signal.

alternatively, you also can connect radio trigger to your off camera CLS enable flash unit, SB800 or SB900 also have PC socket at your disposer.

I have not tested this method, technically it should work, will test it out when I'm free.

hope this help.
Hi Ben,
Actually the solution was:

To set SB-600 to Remote mode as in CLS Remote and set the monolights manually which is mostly how it should anyway by Lightmeter or histogram of DSLR and tweak it as you please.

So now that it is set with Speedlight triggered by SU800 in the Commander mode, and the monolights will trigger in slave mode from the Speedlight. The problem is that SU800 in CLS triggers with preflashes are that will prematurely trigger the monolights, so in order to eliminate the pre-flashes. Therefore, we need to see how is trick of eliminating the pre-flashes.

You have to invoke Nikon's FV mode on the camera. This mode was designed to set a flash value for an off-center subject by centering your subject, triggering a CLS preflash (without actually tripping the camera's shutter), and then reframing for the actual shot.

In FV mode, the Commander unit will no longer issue additional IR preflashes, but will instead use the exposure information it obtained during the first preflash for all subsequent shots. Meaning the first time it will learn after that it will not issue pre-falshes in FV mode.

So, this seems perfect for setting up a portrait Studio shoot, only one-time setting to set the CLS for Speedlight and then just shoot without pre-flashes via Commander mode.

That is my understanding reading what the solution is by the poster, well he is using Alienbees monolights so I am not sure if others is the same that is why need confirmation.

Anyway, if it works it is not difficult to setup and only one-time pre-flash to setup speedlight and done. I think not troublesome at all.

For those who want to try this out and don't have SU800, remember your pop-up flash can be one (not sure which model cannot) have to check your User Guide for that.

Hi Ben,
Actually the solution was:

To set SB-600 to Remote mode as in CLS Remote and set the monolights manually which is mostly how it should anyway by Lightmeter or histogram of DSLR and tweak it as you please.

So now that it is set with Speedlight triggered by SU800 in the Commander mode, and the monolights will trigger in slave mode from the Speedlight. The problem is that SU800 in CLS triggers with preflashes are that will prematurely trigger the monolights, so in order to eliminate the pre-flashes. Therefore, we need to see how is trick of eliminating the pre-flashes.

You have to invoke Nikon's FV mode on the camera. This mode was designed to set a flash value for an off-center subject by centering your subject, triggering a CLS preflash (without actually tripping the camera's shutter), and then reframing for the actual shot.

In FV mode, the Commander unit will no longer issue additional IR preflashes, but will instead use the exposure information it obtained during the first preflash for all subsequent shots. Meaning the first time it will learn after that it will not issue pre-falshes in FV mode.

So, this seems perfect for setting up a portrait Studio shoot, only one-time setting to set the CLS for Speedlight and then just shoot without pre-flashes via Commander mode.

That is my understanding reading what the solution is by the poster, well he is using Alienbees monolights so I am not sure if others is the same that is why need confirmation.

Anyway, if it works it is not difficult to setup and only one-time pre-flash to setup speedlight and done. I think not troublesome at all.
I see, re read the thread, I miss out that wellspring had already try out what I suggest, but don't like to let the radio trigger dangling.

using FV method, it should work, if have a flash to spare, can set it to optical slave mode to try out.