Close up filters/Reverse ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kero89

Feb 2, 2006
Hi guys, need some help with those that are using close up filters..

Currently looking for a 67mm thread close up filter, +3/+4/+10...

Am looking into taking flowers, currently having a 18-70mm, 50mm f1.8 lens (nikon)

Any comments on the following--

Is a +10 a better solution to stack 2 +4 filters together?
Will +10 cause more distortion, or reduce sharpness of the object?
Between HOYA and OCTAGON, which is better? ($45 for hoya, $18 for octagon)
Should i buy a filter for zoom or prime?
Which other shops have a better price and ready stocks? ( Hoya from OP, Octagon from AP)

I heard of the legend BR-2A for 50mm reverse mount, but recently researched on it and realise i have to set focus to infinity, and den move camera near or far to get focus.. that will be so troublesome :dunno:

Hi, a +10 will give you a larger magnification than 2 +4's stacked together, but minus the flexibility for when you just want a +4 magnification.

Given the 2 brands ONLY, I would go for Hoya coz I've never heard of Octagon before. But if you can save for a bigger budget, the Nikon 6T (62mm filter thread) or 5T (52mm filter thread) or the Canon 250D and 500D close-up lenses would be MUCH better than your Hoya. I've owned 1 +4 Hoya before and after that bought 2 Nikon 6T's, and never used my Hoya since.

As for zooms or primes, I'm not sure what you mean, but close-up filters are attached like your regular filters: you just find the right thread diameter & screw 'em in. They'll work on both zooms & primes.

BR2A is the original Nikon reverse mount adaptor. I didn't think the price is justifiable so I got myself one off eBay, and it works great! The only thing is the working distance is very small, but if you're just taking flowers, don't think you'd have much problems. The moving back & forth really isn't that difficult... just gotta get the hang of it.

One more option that comes to mind is for you to get the Raynox DCR-250. It's also a close-up filter, but it kinda "clips" onto the front of your lens rather than screwed in. Do a Google on that... it's about $100 or so used here in B&S.

Hope this helps. Cheers! =)

Thanks Karnage for the input..

Just a question.. For Raynox DCR-250, it is a fixed +8 diopter right?

No worries. Just helping people understand macro as I understand it. =)

The Raynox has a fixed diopter rating, but how much, I'm not really sure. I don't have one myself. Feel tempted to get it though, seeing so many people getting good results. But if I do get it, I'll be selling my 2 6T's if it proves to be more convenient. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.