Cleaning up Hi-2 noise digitally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce

Aug 25, 2003
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
Hi all,

Was at the Jurong Bird Park last weekend and shot some pics of a white Owl in an ultra low light environment. At first I thought not to bother trying, but decided to give it a go. So set ISO to Hi-2 and hand held 80-200. The shutter was quite slow, 15-30, but amazingly there's one pic that is very sharp. But the noise is pretty bad. I've tried some techniques to remove it and some PS Actions (Fred Miranda ISOX), but not able to adequately remove it. There's not really any colour to speak of in the image, so using channel mixer I was able to remove some of the really bad noise. Red channel had quite large well dispersed specks, whereas green and blue had lots of fine grained ones. So mapping Green to Red got rid of all of the large noise specks. But what about the others?

Anyone have any tips on how to clean this image up without too much image degradation?

Thanks,
Royce.

ps. I'm using D100.

Royce said:
Hi all,

Was at the Jurong Bird Park last weekend and shot some pics of a white Owl in an ultra low light environment. At first I thought not to bother trying, but decided to give it a go. So set ISO to Hi-2 and hand held 80-200. The shutter was quite slow, 15-30, but amazingly there's one pic that is very sharp. But the noise is pretty bad. I've tried some techniques to remove it and some PS Actions (Fred Miranda ISOX), but not able to adequately remove it. There's not really any colour to speak of in the image, so using channel mixer I was able to remove some of the really bad noise. Red channel had quite large well dispersed specks, whereas green and blue had lots of fine grained ones. So mapping Green to Red got rid of all of the large noise specks. But what about the others?

Anyone have any tips on how to clean this image up without too much image degradation?

Thanks,
Royce.

ps. I'm using D100.

First of all, welcome to ClubSNAP! :gbounce:

How about give neatimage a try?

http://www.neatimage.com/

You'll have to carefully adjust your settings tho, else you might end up getting some "plastic" images.

;)

Thanks for the welcome! :vhappy:

And thanks for the heads up... downloading a demo of neatimage now.

Status
Not open for further replies.