cleaning of filters and lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetylcholine

Jun 13, 2003
Visit site
it was suggested to me that alcohol can be used to clean lenses and filters..
would it work? 70%ethanol.

Not sure about 70% ethanol, but Eclipse, a popular cleaning used these days is 100% methanol. Its better than 70% ethanol (IMHO) because it evaporated VERY fast, and doesn't leave streaks on the glass

Gymrat76 said:
Not sure about 70% ethanol, but Eclipse, a popular cleaning used these days is 100% methanol. Its better than 70% ethanol (IMHO) because it evaporated VERY fast, and doesn't leave streaks on the glass
I think methanol is more volatile than ethanol. Methanol will evaporate quicker because of its chemical structure. Methanol has a smaller structure because it has one less H-C-H group compared to ethanol. This means that methanol has lower boiling point than ethanol which should mean that methanol will definitely evaporate faster.

Cheers.

i always have a filter on my lens so i just need to blow off whatever dust that somehow gets on the lens element.

as for filter, tried eclipse but had hell of a time clearing the streaks. finally went with good old soap and warm water ;p i also learnt not to wipe the filter dry. better to put it aside and let the water evaporate. once it is try use lens tissue to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.