classic cliche

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkydonkey

May 29, 2006
waterdroplet.jpg

What i was trying to achieve was the typical water droplet shot. Unfortunately could hardly get close to it. The reason for taking this shot was to try and see if it was possible for me. Shot close to 500 pics to get this :(. I did get some good shots of water ripples but not the one i really wanted.

Please C&C and any tips on shooting these type of shots is most welcome. I used a 430EX speedlight, 350D kit lens, A bowl of water and and a bottle of water with a hole in the cap and getting it to drip.

nice colour tones, pity the out of focus. there seems to be alot of noise?

i think you'll need to set your camera on a tripod and manually prefocus on the spot the droplet is going to bounce to.

eikin said:
nice colour tones, pity the out of focus. there seems to be alot of noise?

i think you'll need to set your camera on a tripod and manually prefocus on the spot the droplet is going to bounce to.

thanks..actually had to PS to get the color tone...I had shot it againt a white bowl. I did use a tripod and was on manual. I didnt realise until I saw the picture on my pc. Also agree with you on the pre focus part. I guess i'll have to focus on a point where the droplet will fall. Currently its focused on the water.

Looks like you hit the nail on the head in terms of the moment. It's a great capture save for the blur. If you get your hands on some closeup equipment or even a 50mm f/1.8 and a reversing ring it might work very well for something this small.

Try the prefocus first and see how that fares.

fWord said:
Looks like you hit the nail on the head in terms of the moment. It's a great capture save for the blur. If you get your hands on some closeup equipment or even a 50mm f/1.8 and a reversing ring it might work very well for something this small.

Try the prefocus first and see how that fares.

Thanks for the pointers and the kind words mate. Will surely attempt again.

seankyh said:
using a cable release/ir remote helps too. Think there's one for the 350D

yep, I was using the cable release :)

funkydonkey said:
yep, I was using the cable release :)

Did you use a dropper for water above? I find it best to fix the position from the top and release the shutter with remote. Got a better 'hit rate'. Here's one I did with milk sometime back..

original.jpg

Used Tamron 90mm but I'm not too happy with the shadow. If you're trying this out with milk, don't forget to clean up.. I did this 9 months ago and I still have milk stains on my desk.. yucks;p

funkydonkey said:
technical limitations aside, that is one well formed ripple!

not focused. cant make it.

seankyh said:
Did you use a dropper for water above? I find it best to fix the position from the top and release the shutter with remote. Got a better 'hit rate'. Here's one I did with milk sometime back..

original.jpg

Used Tamron 90mm but I'm not too happy with the shadow. If you're trying this out with milk, don't forget to clean up.. I did this 9 months ago and I still have milk stains on my desk.. yucks;p

I didnt use a dropper, all i did was use a 500ml used plastic bottle(sprite i think), punched a hole on the cap and held it by hand. Anything goes when inspiration strikes u at 1am in the morning :bsmilie: I didnt have a remote so made do with the cable release.

Your shot is super sharp...did you shoot on auto or manual? If you shot manual where was your point of focus? I think I made a stupid mistake by focusing manual on the surface of the water.

funkydonkey said:
I didnt use a dropper, all i did was use a 500ml used plastic bottle(sprite i think), punched a hole on the cap and held it by hand. Anything goes when inspiration strikes u at 1am in the morning :bsmilie: I didnt have a remote so made do with the cable release.

Your shot is super sharp...did you shoot on auto or manual? If you shot manual where was your point of focus? I think I made a stupid mistake by focusing manual on the surface of the water.

1am huh? Been there before. :sweat:

I use manual focusing and prefocused on my finger. Like I said, I used a dropper with a fixed position. Made a drop test to see where the drop would land in the bowl. I then used a pencil/pen and pointed perpendicularly to the drop point. Then I focused on the pen at the point where I feel the drop would rise to.

Like I said, a whole lot of trial and error but I used these guidelines to increase my hit rate. Hmm... makes me want to shoot some more ..:bsmilie:

seankyh said:

I use manual focusing and prefocused on my finger. Like I said, I used a dropper with a fixed position. Made a drop test to see where the drop would land in the bowl. I then used a pencil/pen and pointed perpendicularly to the drop point. Then I focused on the pen at the point where I feel the drop would rise to.

Like I said, a whole lot of trial and error but I used these guidelines to increase my hit rate. Hmm... makes me want to shoot some more ..:bsmilie:

Good point there on prefocusing!! :thumbsup:

seankyh said:

Sorry, I meant to say I prefocused on a pen/pencil. I also used my finger but found that it was too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.