City skyline

Taken by my Panasonic LX3.

5434985461_5978459de0_b.jpg

ISO 200 | f/8.0 | 4s

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Photography Technique. Have been toggling with the settings for quite sometime when taking this photo. Still unable to get fine word lightings on the buildings and dramatic water reflections.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A decent photo of the city's night skyline.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Clear evening skies with River Hongbao happening just next to the venue where this photo is taken.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
When zoomed in, the words "The Fullerton Hotel" can be seen but it is thick and almost deformed.

ty for ur time :)

I think that this picture is under expose. Maybe you should try and use a tripod with a longer shutter speed and set it to iso 100, you should also use self timer to avoid camera shake. With that being said the platform/ bridge is distracting maybe you should find a better spot to take the scenery. Be sure not to have objects sticking in to the picture such as the right side of the screen. you should crop it out. Hope this helps.

I think the lamp in the foreground affected your automatic exposure balance. you could also do some additional sharpening during the pp stage.

i think not including the bridge into the photo is better, my thoughts.

Hi there. Just my thoughts.

1) Find a day with clouds, and take the photo sometime around the golden hours? You may want to try HDR for this?

2) The bridge. Depends on how you compose this, it may be nice to have the bridge. Since you trying to get the reflections of the buildings, then, maybe removing the bridge is quite a good idea. :)

Happy snapping.

Woo. HDR sounds cool. Might try it real soon.

Just how under exposed is this photo? I seriously thought its over exposed, cause the light that is only the buildings is simply too much. The wordings are almost blinded. So yeah, I just thought that the reflections on the water isnt enough and there's no clouds?

about a stop more would be correctly exposed.

Strange suggestions by people.
I saw similar photos before I think it is not possible to remove the bridge, at least not without walking long distance.

To get reflections you need the shutter speed to be long, more than 20 seconds? (you can go see other posts for their settings) Hence your aperture should be something like more than F14, this gives star burst effect for the lights.

vinster89 said:
Woo. HDR sounds cool. Might try it real soon.

Just how under exposed is this photo? I seriously thought its over exposed, cause the light that is only the buildings is simply too much. The wordings are almost blinded. So yeah, I just thought that the reflections on the water isnt enough and there's no clouds?
hmmm.

Last edited:
actually.. i think the people who should be helping TS are those using the LX3 or LX5. most of the recommendations i see are for DSLRs.

if the people who reply are trying to help... please take a moment to study the image quality and then check out the equipment TS is using.

it would help to read before making any comments.

my 2 cents ;)

Taken by my Panasonic LX3.

ISO 200 | f/8.0 | 4s

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Photography Technique. Have been toggling with the settings for quite sometime when taking this photo. Still unable to get fine word lightings on the buildings and dramatic water reflections.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A decent photo of the city's night skyline.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Clear evening skies with River Hongbao happening just next to the venue where this photo is taken.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
When zoomed in, the words "The Fullerton Hotel" can be seen but it is thick and almost deformed.

ty for ur time :)

TS - if you want to achieve what you are stated in 1,2,4... Just need to go down to the same place just after sunset and when lights (on buildings) are just turned on.. (or after sunrise but before they switch off the lights)...

It is a simple problem here.. you are shooting at a time when it is dark and you expose for the lights (to read the words..etc), the building will be dark... if you expose for the building/sky, the lights will be blown..

Doesn't matter what camera you used.. just re-shoot if you want the shoot to get your desired effects stated in 1,2,4... (for me, I wouldn't get the jetty into the picture.. what reflection are you talking about if the reflections are going to be cut by the jetty structure).

Two-Cents Comments