City Scene - Comments welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptred

Nov 9, 2004
Pictures taken yesterday..

Cropped but unedited.. Can't seem to upload the large files..

Daytime
14866City_Day_.JPG

Night
14866City_Night_.JPG

Close-up of night
14866City_Close_.JPG

My favourite.. Can see Suntec City on the left :cool:

Any advise on post-processing please?

why you take those pictures behing a metal gate?
tats pointless.... esp the 2nd one, might as well dont take.

2534City_Day_edited.jpg

Did a auto color, increased the contrast and saturation.

2534City_Close_edited.jpg

Did a crop, lessen the brightness, increased contrast, saturation and de-noised.

Overall your images are not too bad for a start, at least better than mine when I first started :bsmilie:

Anyway you should try to avoid the window grills, I believe for the 2nd shot you could have opened the gate and went out to shoot, the last pic I believe was not possible.

Your composition needs to work harder, your framing is still ok, keep shooting!!!

Ignore my comments if you want, I also just nOoB, still learning :)

looks like got a bit of yellowish cast. need to post process more

Thanks a lot for the advice. :)

I shot the pics from indoor cos brighter, can see all the buttons n stuff more clearly. Will remember to shoot from outside next time.

Oh yah, for the last pic, tt's not the gate. It's the steel bar on the balcony.

Love the processed pics espn kindly posted. Got lots more to learn in PS liao.. :sweat:

:)

espn : hmm, how do you de-noise the picture?

Well, I think your day shot and night shot are quite ok, except you atuned it towards red colour. Your day shot is underexposed by at least 1 stop (for the day, most probably the meter has been fooled by the light amount of white light). For The night shots, taking out the composition, the exposure seems to be just about right only. Don't mind the very reddish sky, Singapore sky is polluted, thus you will never see true black colour in Singapore sky.

I just adjusted the day shots by levelling it up by 2 stops and remove some red, staturation and contrast and all those artifical post processing only makes it look artificial. I personally felt your orignal pictures seems to be more natural then ESPN's artifical version, especially the day pic.

The night shots are quite ok, just mind the composition. For landscaping, normal 1/3 rule or the rule of the golden separation applies :D

14866City_Day.jpg

blurblock said:
Well, I think your day shot and night shot are quite ok, except you atuned it towards red colour. Your day shot is underexposed by at least 1 stop (for the day, most probably the meter has been fooled by the light amount of white light). For The night shots, taking out the composition, the exposure seems to be just about right only. Don't mind the very reddish sky, Singapore sky is polluted, thus you will never see true black colour in Singapore sky.

I just adjusted the day shots by levelling it up by 2 stops and remove some red, staturation and contrast and all those artifical post processing only makes it look artificial. I personally felt your orignal pictures seems to be more natural then ESPN's artifical version, especially the day pic.

The night shots are quite ok, just mind the composition. For landscaping, normal 1/3 rule or the rule of the golden separation applies :D]

Very nice!!!

BTW, what is the rule of the golden separation? I think 1/3 rule is that the subject has to be placed along the thirds right (read from manual)?

How did you adjust the stop; PS? Is there any standard procedure to follow when post-processing (I tried different order, got different effects)? :confused:

Very newbie here, sorry for flooding with question. Will start other thread for my other questions. ;p

ptred said:
Very nice!!!

BTW, what is the rule of the golden separation? I think 1/3 rule is that the subject has to be placed along the thirds right (read from manual)?

How did you adjust the stop; PS? Is there any standard procedure to follow when post-processing (I tried different order, got different effects)? :confused:

Very newbie here, sorry for flooding with question. Will start other thread for my other questions. ;p

Golden Separation or the Golden Mean or the Golden Ratio as most call it, is the original rule of artists. 1/3 rule is the simplified version of the Golden Mean as it is alot easier to remember. Try to understand 1/3 rule first before venturing into the complex edition.

The f-stop is best adjusted by your camera, increase the EV +1 or +2/ There is not standard procedure to follow when post-processing, depending on your output.

Status
Not open for further replies.