Circus phototaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
To all , please help

Got a friend who pop me this questions and I couldn't answer them as i haven't done one myself. Doesn't wants to ruin his opportunity in taking photo in a circus tent.

1)What speed film should be used in a circus tent?

2)Are tripod or monopod allowed?

3) what shuttle speed would be recommended to capture(freeze) circus action?

Thanks a lot in advance on my friends behalf

personally, I haven't shot any circus shots but I making these assumptions on lighting for indoor sports.

1) The higher speed film the better. I think at least 800iso is a must. 1600iso is even better. Your friend also needs a fast lens, preferably f2.8 or faster. I would suggest a fast prime lens. To buy these kinds of higher speed film, try Cathay Photo.

2) Ask the company. Different company have different rules. Call them up to confirm. I don't think there's space to set up a tripod in the circus tent unless your friend is seated in the 1st row and if your shutter speed is fast enough to freeze action, you don't really need the monopod

3)In order to freeze action, the safest shutter speed is 1/250. Anything slower than that has a possibility of inducing motion blur in the picture. the absolute lowest you can go is 1/125. This is general rule and you have to use your judgement, the faster the action is the higher speed your shutter must be but from experience, at the best of times, indoor lighting seldom lets you shoot higher than 1/250.

radedward said:
personally, I haven't shot any circus shots but I making these assumptions on lighting for indoor sports.

1) The higher speed film the better. I think at least 800iso is a must. 1600iso is even better. Your friend also needs a fast lens, preferably f2.8 or faster. I would suggest a fast prime lens. To buy these kinds of higher speed film, try Cathay Photo.

2) Ask the company. Different company have different rules. Call them up to confirm. I don't think there's space to set up a tripod in the circus tent unless your friend is seated in the 1st row and if your shutter speed is fast enough to freeze action, you don't really need the monopod

3)In order to freeze action, the safest shutter speed is 1/250. Anything slower than that has a possibility of inducing motion blur in the picture. the absolute lowest you can go is 1/125. This is general rule and you have to use your judgement, the faster the action is the higher speed your shutter must be but from experience, at the best of times, indoor lighting seldom lets you shoot higher than 1/250.

Thanks for your pointers, :) radedward.
will get back to my friend immediately on this. And will definitely give your name a mention:cheers:
Hope he will get some fantastic shots over at the circus wth your advices

Status
Not open for further replies.