Circular polarizer qns

likmuk

Mar 20, 2010
Just wondering...

1. With the CPL, is the lens hood still necessary?

2. Can i stack a GND in front of a CPL?

Appreciate all advices and inputs! Thanks!

You don't need a lens hood when using a CPL filter because you'll be shooting at right angle to the sun most of the time.

Just wondering...

1. Its easier to use the CPL w/o lens hood. Its quite hard to use with actually, you can't really reach the filter thread easily without leaving smudges on the filter.

2. Yes. You better use a tripod though, unless its a real sunny day. You'd probably lose 1stop+GND of light.

You should'nt be rotating the GND filter; it's suppose to work in a horizontal position.

The CPL may cut out glare and reflection from reflected light, but the function of the lens hood is different - it protects your lens from knocks and at the same time shields the front element from stray incident light. If shooting into the sun/at an angle to the sun, you may want to use your hand to block, to avoid flares or ghosting especially when you place extra pieces of glass on your lens.

Yes you can stack those filters, just check if it causes any vignetting.

You should'nt be rotating the GND filter; it's suppose to work in a horizontal position.

I do not intend to rotate the GND filter.

Actually i got a CPL on my lens at the moment..but encountered situations eg. the sky becomes overexposed when i meter my exposure on the darker foreground. Thinking of getting a GND to compensate for this. But not sure if the filter holder eg. Cokin system can be stacked in front of my CPL screwed on to the lens?

Actually i got a CPL on my lens at the moment..but encountered situations eg. the sky becomes overexposed when i meter my exposure on the darker foreground. Thinking of getting a GND to compensate for this. But not sure if the filter holder eg. Cokin system can be stacked in front of my CPL screwed on to the lens?

If you use the correct GND filter, you don't need the CPL.

Please take note that a CPL will have no effect (useless) if the sun is infront or behind you.

You'll be better off using a GND filter.

You do realize that the adapter ring for the Cokin system screws on to the thread on the front of the lens, right?
So if you have a CPL filter there, the adapter ring screws on to the CPL filter, the very thing which you need to rotate to the right orientation with each shot... Wouldn't that be very troublesome?

If you have a dynamic range problem, you can overcome that with a GND and/or bracketing and combining in PP.

Just wondering...

1. Hw to use CPL (rotate) with lens hood on? u tell me :sweat:

2.Well u can, CPL double up as a 1.5/2 stops ND when polarization is in place.. beware of vignetting and color cast issue..

To rotate the CPL, try using a third-party (Hoya, B+W etc) screw on lens hood. Check out B&H for a range of what's out there. They are a bit hard to find in Singapore though. Remember to rotate the hood (to rotate the CPL) counter-clockwise to avoid accidentally unscrewing the CPL. Also need to make sure to get the right lens hood to match the focal length of your lens (telephoto hood for telephoto lens and so on), otherwise may have vignetting.

1. Hw to use CPL (rotate) with lens hood on? u tell me :sweat:

2.Well u can, CPL double up as a 1.5/2 stops ND when polarization is in place.. beware of vignetting and color cast issue..

stacking usually cause vignetting+ IQ degrade...and like most have mentioned, probably, you don't really need to stack...

Last edited:
likmuk, if you do a lot of landscape with horizontal skyline a GND is still the best bet. Polarising filter will only work under certain circumstances.