Christina Chan Waving Tibetan Snow Lion Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkdigit

May 20, 2006
Hong Kong
www.hkdigit.net

Hong Kong : 2 May, 2008 - Hong Kong University student Christina Chan Hau-man (陳巧文) wrapped the Tibetan snow lion flag around her body and later began waving it during Beijing Olympic torch relay in Hong Kong.

Several onlookers heckled Christina Chan, shouting "What kind of Chinese are you?" and "What a shame!" In the end, she and some of the protesters were taken away against their will by the authorities via a police vehicle for their own protection.

from Christina Chan Waving Tibetan Snow Lion Flag / Hong Kong Digital Vision

So sad isn't it, that even people in free Hong Kong don't understand the real Tibetan issue.

The Tibet thing is the saddest thing in China today (next to Taiwan). The basic issue is not so difficult to understand-- the Tibetans are totally different from the Han Chinese. The language, culture, food, dress, way of life, beliefs, everything-- there is no reason to associate Tibet as a part of China. Except for the assertion that the Mongols conquered China in 1362 and included Tibet in their empire, thus Tibet was a part of China since then.

The real reason why China fears the Tibet issue is so simple-- they don't want to end up like the Soviet Union. Because apart from Tibet, there's Xinjiang, there's inner Mongolia, etc. all of whom are also totally different from Han Chinese. They're really afraid that if Tibet goes, the whole country will break up.

So for that reason, Tibet must be a part of China despite everything your eyes tell you when you are there. And thus anyone who advocates Tibetan independence is a traitor. And China will pay any price, crack down in any way they feel necessary to quell any kind of demonstrations, because the unity of the motherland is at stake.

Hong Kong : 2 May, 2008 - Hong Kong University student Christina Chan Hau-man (陳巧文) wrapped the Tibetan snow lion flag around her body and later began waving it during Beijing Olympic torch relay in Hong Kong.

Several onlookers heckled Christina Chan, shouting "What kind of Chinese are you?" and "What a shame!" In the end, she and some of the protesters were taken away against their will by the authorities via a police vehicle for their own protection.

from Christina Chan Waving Tibetan Snow Lion Flag / Hong Kong Digital Vision

So for that reason, Tibet must be a part of China despite everything your eyes tell you when you are there. And thus anyone who advocates Tibetan independence is a traitor. And China will pay any price, crack down in any way they feel necessary to quell any kind of demonstrations, because the unity of the motherland is at stake.

this issue has been immensely overhyped up by the european people, i guess; i think pm lee spoke a lot of truth when he said that they didn't know what they (the europeans) were getting into; because chinese aren't exactly europeans, the pride is somewhat different and they take things a lot more personally, that's just the way it is. i think we shall be seeing in future what will happen. for one, i always thought the sports should never involve politics, and there have been statements made before about this, but people will bend those rules as and when they see fit.

one of the newsweek articles that i read a month or two back had a very detailed writeup about pentagon being over-alarmist over chinese militarisation; which is nonsense, china has been ever so benign, it is obviously trying to fit in; why would it want to alienate itself after so much hard work done?

anyways, i find the fact that the protestor seems to be happily on the phone ,while waving her flag, very funny.

one of the newsweek articles that i read a month or two back had a very detailed writeup about pentagon being over-alarmist over chinese militarisation; which is nonsense, china has been ever so benign, it is obviously trying to fit in; why would it want to alienate itself after so much hard work done?

This one cracks me up. :bsmilie:

People's Republic of China (PRC)
Formed in 1949 by the Chinese Communist Party

1951 "Liberates" Tibet
1951 Supports North Korea's "liberation" of South Korea in the Korean War
1967 Crosses into India Territory sparking off the Sino India War
1979 Invades Vietnam after Vietnam invaded Cambodia to topple the Khmer Rouge, a brutal regime that decimated the Cambodian population and politically has the full support of PRC
1984 Major border skirmish with Vietnam

Actions of a Benign China?

There is always a right place and right time to do things. Adding fuel to the fire will not help their cause in any ways at all.

I think she is a part time model and just wanted to get some cheap fame to attract attentions for her modeling.

I dont really follow the Tibetan issue.

Just hope that those who support the Tibetan independence would continue to support the Tibetans if they do get their independence.

1951 "Liberates" Tibet
1979 Invades Vietnam after Vietnam invaded Cambodia to topple the Khmer Rouge, a brutal regime that decimated the Cambodian population and politically has the full support of PRC

I think what night86mare meant is of recent time. You're using examples that are not recent enough. While you're at it, I think you also missed out Tiananman Square. ;p

I dont really follow the Tibetan issue.

Just hope that those who support the Tibetan independence would continue to support the Tibetans if they do get their independence.
In short, some dumb angmos protest that Tibet should go independence, mostly were blinded by the distorted media coverage from CNN/BBC/etc. And the dumber angmos thought that disrupting the Olympics torch relay is a heroic thing to show on TV.

1951 "Liberates" Tibet

Lack of knowledge. Try digging up some Xinhua Press historical records of the revolution in 1911 up to the open-up in the 1980s. No need to read a lot. Just check out why these above interventions must be done. After that you come back here and tell me whether you are historically more enriched. If you still hold the same view, I respect that. I won't try to change your opinion.

Lack of knowledge. Try digging up some Xinhua Press historical records of the revolution in 1911 up to the open-up in the 1980s. No need to read a lot. Just check out why these above interventions must be done. After that you come back here and tell me whether you are historically more enriched. If you still hold the same view, I respect that. I won't try to change your opinion.

I beg to differ.... Xinhua is but the political voice piece of the PRC. It's version of Chinese reasoning on why it must "liberate" other countries and cross into other people's borders is not exactly neutral and without basis.

Reading Xinhua and its politically charged communist retorts doesn't make these interventions right.

If one reads only the BBC/CNN/Newsweek etc, he'll see it as BBC/CNN/Newsweek etc want him to see... If one reads only Xinhua Press etc, he'll see it as Xinhua Press etc want him to see... History is written by the winners... i.e. the triumphant party... Almost everything can be justified, if one tries hard enough...

And then we all forget what the crux of the matter is after a while... :sweat:

1951 "Liberates" Tibet

gotta love people who live in 1984.

that was before i was born. in recent potential conflicts, china's foreign policy has been very, very, very different.

If one reads only the BBC/CNN/Newsweek etc, he'll see it as BBC/CNN/Newsweek etc want him to see... If one reads only Xinhua Press etc, he'll see it as Xinhua Press etc want him to see... History is written by the winners... i.e. the triumphant party... Almost everything can be justified, if one tries hard enough...

And then we all forget what the crux of the matter is after a while... :sweat:

Very correct hence we must look at things at perspective and realize that despite all that China has suffered during the end days of the Qing Dynasty, it is using that as an pretext to fuel the Nationalism flame among the people and justify any action on her as a sign of imperial aggression. Presently China seems like using this as an excuse for it to do anything it wants.

Example in South Korea where Chinese students turned violent and assault Korean protesters pelting them with bottles, stones etc. And what does the Chinese government say? "the students are doing the right thing in defending the dignity of the Olympic Flame" So does it mean that China can again invade any other nation and say it is defending the dignity of the Chinese people?

Anyway apologize for turning the thread into a discussion one. I think that this is not the right place to have such discussions. I certainly don't want to commit and infractions. Shall not post not return any comments.

So does it mean that China can again invade any other nation and say it is defending the dignity of the Chinese people?

Yes it can. Just as what the americans did, those who are ******* wins.

and what is that?

:bsmilie: Thanks for making my point... :bsmilie:

Anyway, personally, I'm just saddened by the manners in which all the parties involved reacted... Every party will, and can, justify their actions... The 'shoulds' and 'should nots' are blurred out, as far as I'm concerned already... I only hope the talk between China and the Dalai Lama delegates will bring about some sanity and peace...

How did Hongkong become Hongkong? How did Singapore become Singapore? How did USA become USA? Gee... what's the big deal about this "people against people"? People are always blind.

Last month during my vacation in PRC, CCTV was showing a documentory of Tibet.
Tibet minority was suffering badly. There was lanlord and slavery.
The slave was given 1 meal a day sometimes none.Those who stole food have their hand choped off or even worst skin alive.
The young Daila Lama and some others decided to stage a uprising to liberate Tibet, so a civil war started.The Daila lama seek the communist help to overthrow the goverment.After the liberation, the young Daila Lama was invited to meet chairman Mao in Beijing.He was given a warm welcome fit for a king, Zhou Ern Lai, Teng Xiao Ping and other top CCP members were at the train station to meet him.
A agreement was drafted, Peoples Liberation Army was allowed to staion in Tibet to protect and help to improved their living.And China flag to be raised in the land.
A few years later, the young Daila Lama have some disagreement with CCP which led to his exile.
This is PRC side story.The footage of slavery and human skin hanging in the open is very real.
The real truth you have to find out youself...!

Status
Not open for further replies.