Choosing a bag for overseas travel

v-nod

Jan 22, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a proper camera backpack to use for travelling and for just general use in Singapore. The requirements I have are:

1) Able to hold a medium DSLR with a medium sized lens, and possibly 2 other lenses
2) Able to attach on a tripod if necessary
3) Have space to store essentials like a water bottle, snacks, small souvenirs and maps, etc
4) Have good padding so that it can be brought out on day treks if needed
5) Able to carry a tablet/ laptop if necessary
6) Sidepocket for easy access

After searching through this forum and other sites, I have narrowed down to the following bags.

1)Lowepro Orion Daypack
2) Lowepro Transit
3) Lowepro Hatchback
4) Tamrac Mirage 4
5) Kata 3N1

Any recommendations of which one to get? Any of these that have served you well? Thanks!

How about Think Tank Airport Commuter?

I don't own any of the bags you mentioned, but I will just chip in some of my thought.

I kinda like the 1, 3, and 5, because they have dedicated space for camera stuffs and your usual stuffs, divided nicely top and bottom.

The way No.2's compartment works, just not something I really like, as I'm the lazy type of people (open the zip just wide enough to squeeze whatever stuff in my hand into it) So without a dedicated compartment for usual stuffs, I think I might spoilt my camera gears.

I'm sorry but No.4 is just too ugly for me... I know it's a CAMERA BAG, but I will still got for a clean and sleek looking bag (2,5).

No.3 is designed in a way that for me, it's kinda troublesome. The opening for the gears is at the back, which means you have to put down your bag every time you need to change lens. I see no access from the side of the bag (I think...), so...

If I were to pick 1 out of the 5 bags, No.5 is my top pick!
Nice looking bag (for me...), top compartment for usual stuffs and bottom compartment for camera gears, side access to camera, tripod holder, very good padding (for the looks of it)

Good luck with your decision!!

I have used a backpack similar to Transit before, where the camera is buried inside the main compartment. It was not a good experience and quite frustrating to get the camera out quickly sometimes. Looking at your list, I'm not familiar with #4, but #2 makes it hard for you to access your gear. For #1 and #3, there are difficulties too, but it's still better than #2. You would generally have to put your bag down to take it out (no, don't believe the videos that show a person twirling the Hatchback around the waist using the waistbelt to open the bag, it's not easy unless your bag is very very light).

#5 is fine, you can also consider Kata LPS-116 or 216 depending on how large a laptop or space you need.

I wonder why it is so hard to take gear out of #2 transit... And you can configure it to have a separate compartment for personal stuff...

u guys sure you got the right bag in mind?

lowepro-transit-250-sling-450x296.jpg

[video=youtube;0KKDsTSuftc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKDsTSuftc[/video]

Last edited:
TS, I have used some of the bags you mentioned.

Transit 350AW

Pros:
1. Extremely versatile in configuration. Can even fit a 300/2.8.
2. Allows quick draw of your camera.
3. Spacious. one of the few bags you can fit a 70-200 with horizontally and still have room for camera with 24-70 with hood fitted on forward position.

The only downsides to the transit are:
1. The bag is a little too soft. Meaning it will not retain it shape well, and will tend to fall when you place it on the ground.
2. There are a lot of complains of the stitching coming lose on the straps.
3. Too few pockets.

Kata 3N1-33

Another versatile bag which I owned and used for slightly more than 1 year (old version).
Pros:
1. lots of pockets
2. lots of openings allowing for quick draw from both sides.
3. very versatile in configuration.

Cons:
1. too many zippers and clips. Can get messy
2. disliked how the straps are clipped on. Did not need the X or sling capabilities.
3. straps a little thin for a backpack
4. can get a little small for some camera bodies and lenses.

If you want something that is tough look at the bags from Think Tank.

If you want light, look at the Lowepro sport series.

You can also consider the Uprise series from Vanguard.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Tansit is very configurable, which is awesome. Pity the materials used on the bag is too soft.

[video=youtube;9_-NjEmbFMg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_-NjEmbFMg[/video]

Thanks guys for all the advice! I think I'm going to go down and take a look at the Lowepro Transit and the Kata 3N1. The thinktank bags are recommended to be durable, but they seem to be able to hold only camera gear and not the personal stuff. Any thoughts if it can be changed?

I wanted to go down to a shop that sold a variety of bags so that I can compare them. The 3 shops I see coming up are:
1) TK
2) Orient
3) Challenger for window shopping.

Any other shops you guys recommend? Many thanks!

Thanks guys for all the advice! I think I'm going to go down and take a look at the Lowepro Transit and the Kata 3N1. The thinktank bags are recommended to be durable, but they seem to be able to hold only camera gear and not the personal stuff. Any thoughts if it can be changed?

I wanted to go down to a shop that sold a variety of bags so that I can compare them. The 3 shops I see coming up are:
1) TK
2) Orient
3) Challenger for window shopping.

Any other shops you guys recommend? Many thanks!

TK, orient and cathay.

Think tank is more for professional use. There are some bags that allow you to attach pouches. I use those for personal item storage. I have tried many many bags. In the end I still keep going back to think tank. One of my top travel bag is the shapeshifter and also a glass limo.

Last edited:
Samo samo.

Started with Lowepro, Tamrac then Domke and eventually the Think Tank bags. I use the Think Tank (Urban Disguise 35) bags most of the time now together with the Skin Changer pouches. Suggest take a look at the Think Tank bags. I am pretty sure you will find one that suits you. They have a large array of bags.

CP

TK, orient and cathay.

Think tank is more for professional use. There are some bags that allow you to attach pouches. I use those for personal item storage. I have tried many many bags. In the end I still keep going back to think tank. One of my top travel bag is the shapeshifter and also a glass limo.

I keep seeing the shapeshifter and streetwalker get a lot of positive reviews on functionality and form. I'll take a look at these models as well, and see if it can fit what I want. Are the think tanks only avaliable at TK?

I think the lowepro aw202 will nearly fit ur bill. Only lacking a space for your water bottle!

I am also looking for a good bag where I can keep my personal stuff and camera gear apart.

Am looking at Thinktank, but have the same initial concern as TS.

passport backpack seems to have no tripod strap.

Bought my first benro bag today. Impressed. Check out Benro Falcon 400.