Choice for Super wide-angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the max aperature for canon EF-S 10-22 is slightly wider as compared ti Sigma 10-22

Yes the maximum aperture (not aperature) is larger, but if you're doing mostly landscape stuff, then there's no need for a wide aperture.

I am currently using a 5D with 24-105mm F4 L IS. Am in the search for a super wide-angle lens. Not very inclined to get the 16-35mmL or 17-40mmL because of too much overlap and the excess weight. Basically the useful range is only from 16-24mm only <snip>
24-105L vignettes & has barrel distortion @ the widest ends (on FF). Hence, the 16-35mm,Mk.II will be a good UWA compliment.

thought that is only when it is wide open at f/4?

you don't need such a fast shutter speed for landscape if you're shooting wide angle @ 24mm, so it should be ok to stop down?

just asking out of curiousity, cos the 24-105L is one of the best canon walkaround and general purpose options, so i suppose canon should have considered both wide-angle and short-tele needs of photographers when the designed this lens. moreover, its bundled to the 5D as kit.

thought that is only when it is wide open at f/4?

you don't need such a fast shutter speed for landscape if you're shooting wide angle @ 24mm, so it should be ok to stop down?

just asking out of curiousity, cos the 24-105L is one of the best canon walkaround and general purpose options, so i suppose canon should have considered both wide-angle and short-tele needs of photographers when the designed this lens. moreover, its bundled to the 5D as kit.
True, the Vignetting disappears after f/4, but distortion remains @ 24mm nonetheless. It can be correct via PS most times, but verticals tend to be hard to correct.

On the other hand, I think that the 24-105L is the best walkaround lens this side of Nikon's 18-200VR for crop cams. The 24-105L produces better IQ, but the Nikon is more versatile.

heh. i'd choose better IQ over longer focal length range.

anyway, noob question. i know what vignetting means, but what is barrel distortion?

read the 'optical terminology' section at the back of your lens workbook. you will find your answer.

But if you are lazy,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.