Choice between Canon G7 & S5 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

satalite711

Jul 5, 2007
Hi i'm currently deciding to get either one of the above model but is in a very confused mind which model can perform better in term of most expect.

Really appreciate is users of the above be able to give some valuable advise or expert advise will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks.;)

Hi i'm currently deciding to get either one of the above model but is in a very confused mind which model can perform better in term of most expect.

Really appreciate is users of the above be able to give some valuable advise or expert advise will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks.;)

Hi satalite711,

To me ok, each has its own plus point that you got to try/test it out to see which you'd prefer.

As for me, I've just tried them(last wk) & frankly I'd still prefer G7=in terms of pics IQ=ImageQuality:thumbsup: (at default-sharpness=:bigeyes: me coz during my use of S2-IS is rather Soft-Image+Noise & CA=obvious, but its now better on S5-IS) & not bcos of pixels ok.

Also, it's more compact=convenient, if you'd want it too, by not putting-on lens-adaptor while S5-IS is due to the lens & grip protruded but gd grip( can't hv both world so I go for IQ=G7+compactness avail.:thumbsup: ).

Plus, Direct-ISO-Dial= very important to me, for quick changes of ISO.

Btw, as for the above its only my personal preference & POV only:cool:Pls try/test it out yourself to best decide on this 2cams & hope the above helps.

I'd take the S5IS, hands down.

I think having an Electronic View Finder (EVF) is great cos' you can see through the lens, unlike having an LCD, which I sometimes find pretty hard to get the right perspective. On top of that, you get a 100% coverage whereas you have to use a viewfinder on the G7 with much less coverage, plus not being able to shoot exactly what you see at less than ~2m (look at design). Consumer DSLRs only have ~96% (but it doesn't mean they're worse! :D)

The S5IS also has a swivel lens, which comes in very handy when you want to do creative shots from the ground or even above the crowd.

I think build quality is definitely much better on the S5IS -it has a better hand grip than the G7.

Finally, should you buy a converter (eg. WC-DC58N) for your camera, using the on-board flash (a "side" flash) of the G7 will cause a shadow in the shape of your converter - so you can't use your flash (at least for wide converters. I own one which I mount on my A710IS, so I know. I'm not sure about tele-converters)

With the S5IS, its flash is on the top, so I'm guessing that there shouldn't be a shadow. Maybe users of the S-series can enlighten us on this.

The S5IS review on dpreview is not out yet, so I suggest you read it and compare it with the G7 when it comes out.

Thanks for the opinion, i'll made a trip to Canon showroom this weekend to try it and print it to see the picture quality.

I think having an Electronic View Finder (EVF) is great cos' you can see through the lens, unlike having an LCD, which I sometimes find pretty hard to get the right perspective. On top of that, you get a 100% coverage whereas you have to use a viewfinder on the G7 with much less coverage, plus not being able to shoot exactly what you see at less than ~2m (look at design). Consumer DSLRs only have ~96% (but it doesn't mean they're worse! :D)

The S5IS also has a swivel lens, which comes in very handy when you want to do creative shots from the ground or even above the crowd.

Finally, should you buy a converter (eg. WC-DC58N) for your camera

U mean swivel LCD instead?

The wide conversion lens for S5 IS is WC-DC58A.

U mean swivel LCD instead?

The wide conversion lens for S5 IS is WC-DC58A.

Yes, thank you for the correction, swivel LCD.

And wow congratuations you guessed the converter right!

I choose S5 IS...More zoom more things to take...;)

S5is :thumbsup: good features & good handling feel...... G7 :thumbsd:

Doesn't the LCD see exactly what the lens sees as well so how is the perspective different? :think:

think he's talking about the EVF of the S5 compared to the optical viewfinder of the G7..

Doesn't the LCD see exactly what the lens sees as well so how is the perspective different? :think:

EYE perspective.....

"...which I find sometimes hard to get the right perspective..."

Read carefully!

If you put title like this,
"Choice between Canon G7 IS & S5 IS"

then it's obviously G7..

Thanks.;)

I personally prefer the S5 IS. The G series has lost its fast f 2.0 lens, the swivel LCD & RAW mode. Do not see the point of getting them any more.

S5IS has a 36- 432 mm, f 2.7 - f 3.5 lens
G7 has a 35 - 210 mm, f 2.8 - f 4.8 lens.

Also, the S5IS uses normal AA batteries, the G7 needs proprietary Lithium-Ion batteries.

In terms of image quality, from what I have seen, both seem to be the same. The G7 has a larger sensor then the S5IS, it also has a higher pixel count. No idea what the pixel density is though, anyone willing to calculate? Think the S5 will be slightly higher.

Both have a hot shoe (E-TTL), stabilised lenses.

Play with both in the shop, if you do not like the feel of the camera in your hand, you are hardly going to use it. Bring a SD card along, snap shots with the same (or similar) settings on both cameras. Go back home, see which you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.