Chingay shot with other cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowcrash

Jan 18, 2002
Western SG
Visit site
Almost all the shots posted for Chingay are taken with DSLR,

Just wondering, did anyone manage to use their digicams (any digi other than DSLR) to capture decents shots for posting?

Reason is I'm trying to learn to push the limits of my equipment to cover events like this...

Originally posted by Snowcrash
Almost all the shots posted for Chingay are taken with DSLR,

Just wondering, did anyone manage to use their digicams (any digi other than DSLR) to capture decents shots for posting?

Reason is I'm trying to learn to push the limits of my equipment to cover events like this...

I was at the MND Building site (end point) with red dawn and a few others. No signs of DSLR there. It's either film SLR, Rangefinders or prosumer DCs. I saw 1 photog using a Coolpix + a Metz hammerhead flash, 1 G3, 1 DiMAGE 7 user and several others using consumer P&S digitals. So I guess it's quite possible. You just need to know your equipment's limits.

Regards
CK

Ayah, What I mean is they capture the shots... but are they happy with what they capture and post here? (provided they are clubsnapper!)

Don't think would be a problem in capturing decent shots with the right exposure. Composition wise would be another matter though ;p

Originally posted by mpenza
Don't think would be a problem in capturing decent shots with the right exposure. Composition wise would be another matter though ;p

Well, what I mean is "Pictures IMHO are suitable for posting here becos they are one of my better shots..."

I wasn't at the chingay... as I know CS will post pictures of it.
But how come almost ALL are from DSLR camera.

Since Ckiang spot others using other digi cam...

No keepers!!!:eek:

Ayah, What I mean is they capture the shots... but are they happy with what they capture and post here? (provided they are clubsnapper!)

At the main performance area, at ISO 400, I think it's not too difficult to get a good shot.

2 years ago, I shot for the Lindy Hop Ensemble's performance in Zouk, and during the rehearsal I took some test shots using a mere Coolpix 950, no flash, ISO 320. With some luck and skill, you can get decent enough pictures. The lighting condition isn't even as good as Chingay's.

coolpixlowlight1.jpg

coolpixlowlight2.jpg

coolpixlowlight3.jpg

And did I mention these are handheld? :D

Regards
CK

I am using Sony F717 and was positioned somewhere outside the coffeeshop at Boat Quay.

Lighting in my opinion was quite bad as the only light source is the street lamps and the performers hardly stopped along that stretch.

I don't know if these shots are decent enough, (though I must admit that there are still lots of room for improvements) I am quite satisfied considering that I am still trying out my new flash.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24358

Well, what I mean is "Pictures IMHO are suitable for posting here becos they are one of my better shots..."

I wasn't at the chingay... as I know CS will post pictures of it.
But how come almost ALL are from DSLR camera.

Since Ckiang spot others using other digi cam...

No keepers!!!:eek:

maybe they're just shy? what I'm trying to say is that the cameras (especially those that have external flash) are technically capable of producing decent shots. but whether the shots turned out good would depend on the skills of the photographers. I'm pretty sure that the same DSLRs users could have keepers too if they used the prosumer cameras.

Naturally, those DSLR users would have better image quality due to their ability to use high ISOs to capture the ambient lighting and still get relatively sharp pictures.

A F2.8 lens and >ISO1000 makes for a potent combo.;p

But my...at wat cost!:devil:

Originally posted by wormz777
I don't know if these shots are decent enough, (though I must admit that there are still lots of room for improvements) I am quite satisfied considering that I am still trying out my new flash.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24358

Thanks for sharing...

Anymore? post post don't shy...

Originally posted by ckiang

I was at the MND Building site (end point) with red dawn and a few others.
ckiang, I was at the ending point too. Were you the one who was asked by a police officer whether you had a pass towards the end of the parade? :)

BTW, I am not using a digicam, just a F90X...

i was using a 602z at the trafic junction after the main stands at funan, but i find the noise (iso400) too much, so i didn't post the pics..

Originally posted by ckiang

I was at the MND Building site (end point) with red dawn and a few others. No signs of DSLR there. It's either film SLR, Rangefinders or prosumer DCs. I saw 1 photog using a Coolpix + a Metz hammerhead flash, 1 G3, 1 DiMAGE 7 user and several others using consumer P&S digitals. So I guess it's quite possible. You just need to know your equipment's limits.

Regards
CK

saw u walking towardz the kopitiam at boat quay meeting ur frenz .......

me waz acrozz the road ..... when u look over in my direction ..... me waved to u ..... think u didnt saw me ..... dont think u recognize me alzo ..... hahahahhaa ....... :bsmilie:

:D

Originally posted by Bean
ckiang, I was at the ending point too. Were you the one who was asked by a police officer whether you had a pass towards the end of the parade? :)

BTW, I am not using a digicam, just a F90X...

Yup. Kena twice somemore. ;p

Saw a F90x user, could be you. The big sized one?

Regards
CK

Originally posted by FOOXX

saw u walking towardz the kopitiam at boat quay meeting ur frenz .......

me waz acrozz the road ..... when u look over in my direction ..... me waved to u ..... think u didnt saw me ..... dont think u recognize me alzo ..... hahahahhaa ....... :bsmilie:

:D

haha, probably. My eyes have narrow field of view. ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Mr Fish
Mine are taken with s602z with no external flash used. Dunno if it's decent enough so dun dare to post in club snap mah. People will compare with dslr then sure look bad on my pictures liao haha :D

http://www.pbase.com/singhao/chingay

I don't compare as they are using different.

I'm learning to be more critical on my own pictures to see:
1) the artistic part like composition, planning, light condition can be improved
2) the technical part like correct exposure (too dark / too bright?)
3) the camear part: is the camera limiting me from what I want to shoot, or can I work around it to express what I want...

Thanks from sharing, as I can see from your shots... some are snapshots and some you visualise it before shooting?

Andy Dinesh from Offstone has a series of excellent Chingay pictures taken with a Canon G3 digital camera, a very good example of making full use of his equipment. i was with him, CK, Greg, Edng at the endpoint.......

the pictures are unlike the typical clubsnapper's (telephoto closeup of faces) but rather, makes good use of the moving elements into very imaginative compositions and picture concepts. you can take a look at his work over at

http://www.offstone.com/photo/

Anyway here's one he took of me at Chingay, one which i quite like. can u spot me in the picture? :)

bh1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.