chinese national bus drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
is it just me or are there more and more bus drivers who are from china? i've got nothing against mainland chinese...let me get that straight first...i do have a problem though with them not speaking english...how about my kawans? not all speak chinese...i come from a certain mission school too where all our mother tongue is quite turok...so how siol? today one makcik tried asking directions from the bus driver, saw his name tag, shook her head then got off the bus

is it too much to ask they get sent for basic english classes first before taking up jobs where they'll be exposed to non mandarin speaking people?

Not only buses, they're everywhere.

so if u can't speak chinese, u are at the losing end now...

who's to be blamed for they are not well-trained, it's the employer that is trying to reap more profit by employing cheaper labour....

on the contrary, if u want to go mainland to make a living, they will make u learn to speak n write first.

who's to be blamed for they are not well-trained, it's the employer that is trying to reap more profit by employing cheaper labour....

on the contrary, if u want to go mainland to make a living, they will make u learn to speak n write first.

Very good point. I hope our gahmen relook into prerequisite skillset of import labor. Especially in this period where times are tough, better talent can be had for less.

Yup i noticed a bunch of them , sometimes i see 5 of them i a group , i believe they're attending classes or they just graduate or something , they carry the same sbs transit sling bag and with the black leather shoes. I think its going to be a problem if they don't speak english, not so much for locals but for tourists who use the bus system. The sad thing is that instead of increasing bus driver pay, they drop driver standard and go for lower standard. Sad considering the the profit they have made so far.

i have nothin against them too, but let me share my experience,
it took me more than 5 mnutes to tell them i want to change my drinks( part of a value meal), from the normal Pepsi to
a Sprite. She keeps saying " U want Upsize??" when i tried to explain...
and they call it fast food, fast service... nah!!!

Why don't you try writing to the bus company and the fast fast restaurant, or try to speaking to his/her manager instead ?

500 has been employed as bus drivers..each earning basic of S$800...as compared to S$1500 basic for M'sians or S'poreans....

they very "pia" one...as in they willing to do OT and such....very on the bolla to earn extra...

500 has been employed as bus drivers..each earning basic of S$800...as compared to S$1500 basic for M'sians or S'poreans....

they very "pia" one...as in they willing to do OT and such....very on the bolla to earn extra...

This will not be good for the tourism industry however which is a big player in our economy. I always see tourists taking bus in town areas etc and lots of them ask the bus driver for directions or help. They also know Singapore better being singaporean and can advise accordingly.

Shakespeare said:
I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.
:dunno:

+1 before lock

i really don't know what you're trying to achieve by saying that...what are you? the harbringer of doom? "woe woe woe to you, your thread is going to get locked soon...be warned" if it's going to get locked, so be it..no need for you to tell me.

anyway...i'm not saying they need to be proficient to the point they can talk about life philosophies and all that... just basic english that would be sufficient..."will this bus be going to nan hua secondary?" seriously, singapore is not just populated by chinese people....how come no one foresaw this?

i really don't know what you're trying to achieve by saying that...what are you? the harbringer of doom? "woe woe woe to you, your thread is going to get locked soon...be warned" if it's going to get locked, so be it..no need for you to tell me.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

so touchy

it's a new year, relax, don't be so uptight

i think it is perfectly ok for chinese nationals to be in the service sector.

as employers, it is a form of liberation from the high salaried and job hopping individuals. This is a job not everyone is fit to do as it is stressful and tiring.

But hiring 500 within a short span of time seems really an abuse honestly as it clearly indicates the eagerness to dump locals for foreigners.

as to why this thread is recommended to lock is because of the possibility for viewers to makc a mockery of the FT for the coming plight singaporeans will be in.

Not only buses, they're everywhere.
Yeah. Noticed this lately. I have nothing against them, but the communication barrier can really be tough to swallow. Some speak and/or understand little to no English. Thus, for a non-Chinese speaking chap like me, the experience was simply "Que Horror". :think: :p

Needless to say, my impression is that this by no means, help paint a good image on the service sector of Singapore. And I thought the Singapore Government's been aiming to improve on that?

:Later,

Last edited:
i think it is perfectly ok for chinese nationals to be in the service sector.

as employers, it is a form of liberation from the high salaried and job hopping individuals. This is a job not everyone is fit to do as it is stressful and tiring.

But hiring 500 within a short span of time seems really an abuse honestly as it clearly indicates the eagerness to dump locals for foreigners.

as to why this thread is recommended to lock is because of the possibility for viewers to makc a mockery of the FT for the coming plight singaporeans will be in.

i don't think any of us have a problem with having chinese nationals in the service sector per se...they're decent people, most of them...it's more of the language problems it poses to non-mandarin speakers....

thinking of it this way..my grandparents are chinese nationals too..but they found a way to fit in by learning malay,english and all the other languages required for commerce here when they came.

actually, we locals who can speak mandarin also face problem.

most of us not the street name in english (actually many name are in malay), ask them "does this bus goes to this place XXXXXX?" its chicken and duck when it comes to the name, so how? i personally had afew experience.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.