China travel for young adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroPoP

Jun 18, 2002
hydrop.multiply.com
Why do most young adults avoid China as their hoilday destination? Many would prefer going Europe, Australia, Japan...etc? :dunno: My friend and I are the only non uncles and aunties in the group during a recent hoilday package to China. :sweat:

Why do most young adults avoid China as their hoilday destination? Many would prefer going Europe, Australia, Japan...etc? :dunno: My friend and I are the only non uncles and aunties in the group during a recent hoilday package to China. :sweat:

prob because we don't enjoy package tours....:bsmilie:

ya...very true, nowadays if u join package tours, 90% u will meet old uncles and aunties or married couples with kids(the coaches can take care of carrying kids everywhere)

i think most people around their teenagehoods to early 20s would rather do a self tour.

i personally find package tours a tad unpreferable - time is wasted on what the tour agencies want you to go for, e.g. funny factories, funny goods places.. also, sometimes the planning is haphazard, and you end up on a coach for most of the time.

of course this depends on tour agencies, but for flexbility, and a more "comfortable" budget in terms of quality of the enjoyment derived from the tour.. although planning can be a hassle and pain in the arse sometimes.. i think it's usually worth it. :)

Could be because they don't speak Mandarin well? ;)

Mm...how about european countries and japan...the locals there use their own languages as well.

i think most people around their teenagehoods to early 20s would rather do a self tour.

i personally find package tours a tad unpreferable - time is wasted on what the tour agencies want you to go for, e.g. funny factories, funny goods places.. also, sometimes the planning is haphazard, and you end up on a coach for most of the time.

of course this depends on tour agencies, but for flexbility, and a more "comfortable" budget in terms of quality of the enjoyment derived from the tour.. although planning can be a hassle and pain in the arse sometimes.. i think it's usually worth it. :)

I agree...thats why I try not to go for any package tours anymore, unless its dirt cheap like one particular trip my parents when to visit China for only $700+ for 2 ppl.

Especially if you want to take photos, guided trips will have throngs of tour groups blocking your subject. It will be better to trek on your own to the nook and crannies of some locations to take pictures. Who likes to take pictures of a historical statue with a big group of ppl hovering around it and a tour guide blaring through the loudhailer?

ya...very true, nowadays if u join package tours, 90% u will meet old uncles and aunties or married couples with kids(the coaches can take care of carrying kids everywhere)

The most common reason for taking package tours is the convenience...everything laid out for you in order. No need to worry about this or that. Furthermore for some parts of China, free and easy is more expensive than a package cause a package tour is...well... a package which has better pricing cause it is in "bulk".

I've recently attempted to go on a photographic trip with my dad to beijing to visit the historical sites this school holiday. After calling most of the major tour agencies and even going online searching for budget airlines and stuff...package tour is still the cheapest by at least $100 person! (maybe must book months in advance then can be cheap...)

One idea was to take up a package tour for the hotel and food. If the group leaving the hotel to some "nice shopping centre", just skip it and cab to an attraction and have the whole day to yourself...better right?

Depending on your defination on "young", on my last trip to Sichuan in March, we have 8 out of group of 26 are aged 40 and below :lovegrin:

One idea was to take up a package tour for the hotel and food. If the group leaving the hotel to some "nice shopping centre", just skip it and cab to an attraction and have the whole day to yourself...better right?

thinking that way fails.

the tour agents are smarter than this.. they just happily tell you, oh we are going to this attraction

BUT

along the way, there is this really beautiful factory that you have to see. :lovegrin:

and then on the way back to hotel..

oh boy, there's just this SUPER local goods place that you have to see, it has special discounts JUST FOR YOU! :lovegrin:

A good way would be to go for the customised tours, where a small group of like minded people go together, mostly friends. Its more expensive, but you get the objectives you wanted for the trip. I was part of a 3 person group to Nepal and we have porters and guides with us all through the way.

For most other places, I would rather do my own planning and co-ordination. Maybe that's why China is probably the last place i will visit.... ;)

exactly.. because youngsters dont like to be confined by a tour group.. i've been wanting to go to china and would choose to explore asia over the western countries simply bcos i think this continent has just as much to offer.

Honestly I feel that youngsters are far more adventurous compared to the more mature groups (let's not call them aunties and uncles :bsmilie:).

When holidaying with a group of youngsters, the objective is entirely different. It's to explore, walk around the less commercialized areas of the country and to get the most out of the trip by discovering places that people don't usually go to! At least when I went to HK in March with the boyf, sister and brother that was the case.

As for my dad and his siblings, they're adventurous too! But in a different way. Somehow I feel that they have a sense of security with a tour group. However, they're not the kind to go for "factories" and whatnot. I have to say they're rather cool, and quite happening! :p

But they have their limits too. Going entirely free and easy is seldom an option for them UNLESS, they know the place really really well.

As for China...... well for me it's because I'm not so fluent in Mandarin. Hong Kong is a diff matter. i <3 HK ! [also I don't think the China-Chinese diet is really for me. If I were to see dogs and other animals waiting to be served on a platter, I would break down and cry. Already, I do not eat much meat, even in Spore!]

As for others I guess it's because of those HORROR stories about China. Like how when you can hear that someone is about to spit you should never turn back and just keep walking and well, more.

I'm curious though, what is it that draws you guys to China? Might it be the scenery?

[also I don't think the China-Chinese diet is really for me. If I were to see dogs and other animals waiting to be served on a platter, I would break down and cry. Already, I do not eat much meat, even in Spore!]

As for others I guess it's because of those HORROR stories about China. Like how when you can hear that someone is about to spit you should never turn back and just keep walking and well, more.

I'm curious though, what is it that draws you guys to China? Might it be the scenery?

What's wrong with China? I dun find it anything wrong about it. I been there for a year plus and traveling alone most of the time from City to city or town to town.

U heard alot of horrible story about China? I heard alot about Singapore too, that how timid singaporean, how rude they are, how heartless they are, how "highly educated" they are etc...........

Heard is not good enough, see yourself and experience it. It's not just like what you have heard. Being a Singapore is not a big F*** lor, btw i am 100% Singaporean.

I don't think the China-Chinese diet is really for me. If I were to see dogs and other animals waiting to be served on a platter, I would break down and cry. Already, I do not eat much meat, even in Spore!]

Food ok la, no worry about food, there are plenty of it, especially at the GuangDong area.

As for China...... well for me it's because I'm not so fluent in Mandarin. Hong Kong is a diff matter. i <3 HK ! [also I don't think the China-Chinese diet is really for me. If I were to see dogs and other animals waiting to be served on a platter, I would break down and cry. Already, I do not eat much meat, even in Spore!]

:bigeyes: where is asterixsg to wax lyrical about china.

in hong kong, got cute chickens, ducks, and geese hanging around to be served up also.. also got cute cows, cute lambs, cute pigs too :(

it isn't that bad. certainly there might be less desirable cultural differences , but every country has those.

do you want to hear horror stories about london? or italy? every city has its horrors. i could tell you so much about the first one that you might possibly have a very changed impression of our ex-imperial masters :bsmilie:

China is so big and diversify, besides the scenaries....you got to see different races and religions, you will hear different languages and taste variety of foods....being one the oldest civilization....you have plenty of historical sites to see....My advice is you should go out and see it for yourselve before you jump into conclusion :sweat:

What's wrong with China? I dun find it anything wrong about it. I been there for a year plus and traveling alone most of the time from City to city or town to town.

U heard alot of horrible story about China? I heard alot about Singapore too, that how timid singaporean, how rude they are, how heartless they are, how "highly educated" they are etc...........

Heard is not good enough, see yourself and experience it. It's not just like what you have heard. Being a Singapore is not a big F*** lor, btw i am 100% Singaporean.

Nothing wrong with China. There are plenty of places in the world to visit, more than anyone can go to in a few lifetimes.

:bigeyes: where is asterixsg to wax lyrical about china.

in hong kong, got cute chickens, ducks, and geese hanging around to be served up also.. also got cute cows, cute lambs, cute pigs too :(

it isn't that bad. certainly there might be less desirable cultural differences , but every country has those.

do you want to hear horror stories about london? or italy? every city has its horrors. i could tell you so much about the first one that you might possibly have a very changed impression of our ex-imperial masters :bsmilie:

Why spread horror stories? Spread the luv, man! :angel:

Let's see....
Sceneries, Culture, People, Food, Architecture, Shopping, Trekking ..............

Status
Not open for further replies.