Chicago

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
Might be going to Chicago end Feb for a business trip.

I have 2 key questions:
- Is it safe to wander around downtown Chicago with a DSLR?
- What are the key attractions?

Feb will be freezing. It has been a cold season, and Feb is generally the colder month too.

Chicago is pretty safe as long as you don't ander off into the housing projects.

Chicago is famous for it's architechture. Just remember, the weather is not likely to be the best, will be wet and freezing.

PM me if you want to know more about the Windy City.

Yes Chicago in February. I would worry much more about dying of hypothermia, than getting mugged. Not a lot of street life, everyone's inside!

Take precaution at night when you are in the Loop.

The Loop? Is that a place? A neighborhood?

Looking at the comments about the temperature, think I would likely remain indoors at night :(.

Might be going to Chicago end Feb for a business trip.

I have 2 key questions:
- Is it safe to wander around downtown Chicago with a DSLR?
- What are the key attractions?

very safe. went there a few times on transit to Mexico and other latin america countries for holiday. Please wear enough clothes, can be quite cold. As I was on transit, I did not bother to bring warm clothes, only had t-shirt n a sweater on when I went to the city. I remember I looked stupid n a lot of people mentioned '' this guy must be freaking cold''. They are wearing winter clothes.

It is a very windy city. very boring though

Last edited:
very safe. went there a few times on transit to Mexico and other latin america countries for holiday. Please wear enough clothes, can be quite cold. As I was on transit, I did not bother to bring warm clothes, only had t-shirt n a sweater on when I went to the city. I remember I looked stupid n a lot of people mentioned '' this guy must be freaking cold''. They are wearing winter clothes.

It is a very windy city. very boring though

Ah... ok. Looks like should be safe in the more crowded places... and it's gonna be freakin' cold. Actually, I just Googled Feb 2011 Chicago... it might snow :(. Brrr!!!!!

have a safe trip :)

Since I have been to Chicago, you may want to try these attractions:

-Navy Pier, can see Chicago's awesome skyline. Amazing lightings at night and full of life
-University of Chicago, classical architecture. The school is like a gigantic castle. Architecture is simply sensational. I went there to snap some shots cos' my dad's taking MBA there.
-Chinatown, pretty great blend of chinese culture everywhere.
-Millenium Park, I have never been there before though...

Throughout my 3 weeks in Chicago, TS, there is NO NEED to worry about bringing a dslr to downtown. The place is so busy, no one is going to pay attention to you, just do your own thing :cool: Have I answered both your questions?

I never really had an issues there (been there like 3 times)... But I was told not to go further down South of the University (was told the areas after that can be a little more complicated) - then again, I never had any reason to.

I could think of Shedd Aquarium, Fields Museum, and if you know what Soldier Fields is, then you might want to visit there too; Chicago's Orchard Road - Magnificent Mile; Sears is now call Willis Tower; John Hancock Center which has a old building very near it (cannot remember the name);

One of the best thing I did was to sit by the lake - near the aquarium, and just enjoy the view from there but I think Feb is the wrong timing to do so... Even during summar it can be quite cold there, so imagine winter time!!!

I like to go the bar at the top of John Hancock for a drink, if it's not foggy that makes for some nice views!